My Family's Overlanding Vlog Series - First Trip with our Turtleback Released

Jasonkoko

Observer
Last fall, I came up with the brilliant idea to document our family's foray into overlanding, learning off-roading and gaining experience in spending more time outdoors. As I learned about overlanding, the idea became more and more intriguing to me and as we started planning and taking trips, we became hooked.

As a bit of a creative outlet, an accountability partner to make sure we keep getting out there and possibly some inspiration for others, we created a YouTube channel for our vlog series.

I'm not sure it would be polite for me to clog up the forums with a new post every time we release a new vlog (weekly), but if it's ok with all of you, I'll update this post with the videos as we release them.

To get started, I'll post our first video and the last two here, and if you would like to see any of the others, perhaps I could invite you to visit our channel on YouTube.

Our first few vlogs we get started off on overlanding on the Georgia Traverse. We have visited the Apalachicola National Forest and have visited a few off-road destinations to get some experience handling obstacles, etc.

We just released our 13th vlog last night, which was our first small trip (mostly an experimental trip) with our new-to-us Turtleback Trailer we purchased from another forum member. Actually, I believe our actual trailer was the Expedition Portal demo unit from 2015 - but please correct me if you happen to know better.

We also just returned from 3 days on the Trans American Trail and will be releasing that three day vlog series in a few weeks time.

I don't post here often but I spend a lot of time reading what you all share and have found the information on these forums absolutely invaluable!

Our First Vlog

Vlog 12

Vlog 13 - this is our latest

Click here to visit our YouTube channel.

Diamond_D

Nice video and production! I'll have to keep watching as you learn the capabilities of the trailer, I'm about to have an offroad teardrop behind my 4th gen 4Runner so it'll be a big adjustment!

Jasonkoko

Observer
Nice video and production! I'll have to keep watching as you learn the capabilities of the trailer, I'm about to have an offroad teardrop behind my 4th gen 4Runner so it'll be a big adjustment!

That's awesome! Congrats on the coming trailer!

We have a lot of things planned with our Turtleback - and we vlog on all of them!

SmoothLC

Explorer
Keep 'em coming Jason. I have family in your neck of the woods and find your videos very entertaining.

Might want to rethink those drone flights over highways, it's a pretty stupid thing to do.

Sorry if I'm being stupid here, but why shouldn't you fly a drone over a highway? I don't own a drone, but I do vlog and am considering a drone purchase soon. Just curious why this is such a bad idea for future knowledge. I guess if you loos control for some reason you may cause an accident?

Drive2theSky

Hello

I enjoy your videos. They are great fun and I like your learning mindset. I guess four wheeling and camping has a new more dignified name (overland driving) that makes it more expedition feeling (which is great).

I’m from Colorado originally but live in Bluffton SC now. I need to get the kids outside more and the overlanding seems like a good idea. I was lucky and was a kid when the early SUVs came out in the 1970s. Great memories exploring the foothills around Denver.

Don’t know much about the south in terms of best places to go. I use to go on epic back county long drives in the mountains and desert. Have you tried anything in the Francis Marion National Forest? On the coast of SC but not far from us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles