Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum flat bed options?

Default Aluminum flat bed options?

I'm curious what people think of the idea of using an aluminum flatbed to haul a truck camper. For background info my truck is an 03 dodge 4 door short bed 2500. I did a little searching and read some threads here on expo with a little success, but wanted a current take on the trends and what options are out there. I've found these: https://www.alumaklm.com/truck-beds and have heard of UTE, but UTE's webiste isn't great and the number is disconnected. Anyway, any info on this would be good. Thanks~

C.

Here's a FWC Hawk flatbed model on a Alumline flatbed. The flatbed is on a 2016 3500 Mega cab. It's super nice and the owner said it worked good.
    I think slide in campers on flatbeds with tool boxes filling the gaps on the side are cool too, lot's of storage.
    I think there's a thread about one of those builds here on the forum somewhere.

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

There are several outfits that build campers for flatbeds. They all have their plus' and minus'. I recently spent a lot of time researching the different companies and decided to go with Bundutec in Iowa. Absolutely no regrets. I believe they provide the best value. They are great to work with, will build you exactly what you want, and they don't take 4-6 months to do it. Give them a call, be honest about what you want and what your expectations are and they be happy to offer their input and feedback. I found they could build to my specs at a cost less than any comparable used camper I could find.

I do not work for them or receive any fees; I'm just an extremely satisfied customer trying to share my experiences.

319-234-0071
    sales@bundutecusa.com

That's great information I'll give them a call and see what they offer. The link I posted above is pretty nice, 1800.00 ready to go and lighter than factory bed which is nice too.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any more recommendations?
    Ute Ltd is $3500 + Shipping and only comes in 4 sizes. I am sure there are better options available.

I got on craigslist and got a quote from a guy who makes pontoon boats. A flat bed is on my long term list after we get something else to DD.

So this is something that I have been working on for my tacoma, its pictured with the canopy but is a flatbed/tray under the canopy. I should finally have it in my hands in a month time and released end of year after I put it through some abuse. Also working on a matching camper, and starting on a tray/canopy/camper for my new ram that I picked up

IMG_1845 by chandler coe, on Flickr

Have a search using "tray back campers" and that'll bring up the Australian versions, where trays are much more common. Whilst costs may become prohibitive, the ideas may be of use.

Hope that helps a bit,

Ed
    Toyota VZN130 4Runner set up for dirt road touring in Australia with a camper trailer (we've upgraded from swags)
    Other stuff:
    1978 Toyota HJ45 Land Cruiser Ute, 3.6 litres of NA diesel power
    1991 Yamaha XT600EB with long range tank
    2007 Yamaha WR250 with long range tank

Previously lived in the UK, worked in France and now based in NSW, Australia.

So this is something that I have been working on for my tacoma, its pictured with the canopy but is a flatbed/tray under the canopy. I should finally have it in my hands in a month time and released end of year after I put it through some abuse. Also working on a matching camper, and starting on a tray/canopy/camper for my new ram that I picked up
    Looks nice, is this something you plan to sell? I would be curious to see the Ram version
    1997 Dodge Ram CTD, 5 Speed manual, BD exhaust brake, 5x12 injectors, 4k Gov. springs, Thuren coils, Fox shocks, Stable loads, 99HD steering, Carli end links, Method Race Wheels, 295/70/18 Cooper STTMaxx tires.

2011 Northstar Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    Looks nice, is this something you plan to sell? I would be curious to see the Ram version
    Yup, either stand alone tray or with the canopy, the camper will take a little more time. I am hoping to have the ram tray/canopy ready for production sometime in September

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast