Aluminum flat bed options?

mrblah

Observer
The basics under 7k

That seems kind of high for a flatbed. Right?

You could buy a welder, materials, and a welding class for less money!

Dunno about you but I don't trust myself with a welder, let alone aluminium welding.

But I agree, from the picture shown at the "basics" page it looks a bit expensive for what it is.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Considering you could have a steel one built for less than half that cost, and only weigh a few hundred pounds more...

Yeah, Id say $7k is a bit silly.

They do look to be quite modular though, so it might appeal to people that are interested in adding options late on.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Aluma isnt terrible. A bit on the lightweight side.

They are inexpensive though.

I've shopped their trailers for off-road trailer ideas, and didnt think they would hold up.

Flatbeds....

https://www.idahotrailersales.com/aluminum-pickup-flatbeds/aluma-aluminum-flatbeds

Width x Length (In.) MSRP Our Price Approx. Weight (Lbs.)
66 x 77 $1,724 $1,495 200
68 x 87 $1,868 $1,650 225
81 x 87 $2,000 $1,750 275
81 x 106 $2,226 $1,895 310
90 x 106 $2,279 $1,950 345
96 x 106 $2,432 $2,050 350

c7train

Observer
Yes, I'd have to check but think that's what I was quoted. They have a "heavy duty" kit or something that allows them to carry far more, but the regular duty would carry what my camper weighs wet so it appears to be a viable option based on the numbers. I'm not a crazy offroader so I don't need a super robust build. Would it be cool to have something that is waaaay over built? Of course, but being real with what I do (occasional 4-lo really rough roads and easy trails, but mostly fire roads and such) Makes for an easier and more cost effective build.

otis24

Observer
So this is something that I have been working on for my tacoma, its pictured with the canopy but is a flatbed/tray under the canopy. I should finally have it in my hands in a month time and released end of year after I put it through some abuse. Also working on a matching camper, and starting on a tray/canopy/camper for my new ram that I picked up

IMG_1845 by chandler coe, on Flickr

This is almonst exactly what I want for my 2003 Tacoma but with an overhang over the cab and a wedge/westfalia type pop top for sleeping.

s.e.charles

how do "we" get the flatbed down lower?

is it practical to have the bed/ deck sit between the wheels and then the camper box can overhang at whatever height gives the read end enough room to articulate? the camper body would be shaped (from rear view) just like a "T" slide in. probably cycle fenders & flaps over the rear wheels to keep things from getting dinged-up.

or am I missing something?

rruff

Explorer
how do "we" get the flatbed down lower?

Sure, why not? It would no longer be a flatbed though. Or you can just build a camper that mounts to the frame and has wheelwells. But I guess you want to be able to take it off and still leave the bed on the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles