Strap for use with Hi-lift for winching

skymark

What do people use? I assume you don't use a snatch strap.

Are there any thin synthetic lines to use? Must it be chain?

I'm only looking for something that may never be used. I only wheel on forest roads and don't ever plan to use it. If I did I would replace the bumper and buy a winch.

Thanks,

Mark

NikonRon

Adventurer
Well if you're never ever going to use it, don't get one or if you do get one just leave it at home. :victory: Ron

skymark

Use about anything you want. Of course some sort of low stretch is better.
Chain, wirerope, Dacron, UHMW etc...

That's the part I'm trying to figure out. What is low stretch and not too bulky that could be used for this situation? I only see synthetic winch line, I don't see any pre-made tow ropes (which I think is what I want, instead of a snatch strap which stretches).

99Yota

Observer
Prior to getting a winch, I used chains. The setup looked basically like this:
hilift chain.jpg

You'll need a way to reset the lifting/ pulling point once you've exhausted the 'lift' of your winch hence the need for chains. Chains don't stretch whereas a snatch strap will. Kinetic straps will stretch even more. Trust me on this, once you've played with the highlift a few times, you'll wish you won't have to use it. Good cardio workout though. :)

If you do decide to go this route, I'd suggest keeping the following in mind:
- Get chains which are properly rated.
- Practice a few times so you are comfortable with the process.

You can get a kit or piece together your own. I think ARB has a kit out there... You'll want to get about 20ft of chain and about 3 feet for a 'choker' which is the short length attached to the lifting foot and a short length to attach your hi-lift to the longer length of chain. Both lengths need hooks at the end so you can 'reset' the lifting foot to the 'start' position. Each time you run out of hi-lift jack, you'll set the choker chain and 'reset' the lifting foot and re-attach the choker. It's a slow process but it does work.

The total weight of the chains and hooks will probably be about 50-60lbs. I got wrapped up with WLLs and Grade 100 chains etc and spent about $120. You'll still need tree protectors and depending on the type of terrain you wheel in, probably 20-30ft of a good snatch strap.

Eventually I did get a winch. As I like to explore/camp solo during the winter, I wanted the peace of mind that I wouldn't have to fumble with a clumsy set up with gloves on and possibly in the dark. FWIW, I also picked up a set of MAXTRAXs.

I consider the Hi-Lift w/ chains the last resort.

Last edited:

evilfij

Explorer
Tried with straps, epic fail too much stretch even with a 20k lbs strap doubled over. 5ft jack got maybe half that in movement. Chains it is doable. Never tried line but I can't imagine it is much better.

skymark

Thanks to all who responded with helpful information and/or personal experiences.

It sounds like I have 3 realistic options:
1) Always go with someone/stay on really easy terrain
2) Bumper & winch - which may lead to suspension and tires
3) More Power Puller - but this, along with a hi-lift, start to get pricy as well.

The hi-lift with the winching kit seems to be a last resort.

Mark

dumprat

Adventurer
They make synthetic logging truck load wraps that may just be the ticket for a high lift as a winch. They have chain on each end and light weight non stretch nylon in between.

A high lift is better suited to "lift it up and push it over" type of rescue attempts. Either that or stuffing rocks or branches under the wheels.

MicahB

Observer
If it makes you feel any better, I think I'm in the same position you are. Or close to it anyway.

With a couple of notable exceptions, everyone seems to agree that the hi-lift is a less than stellar way to winch a vehicle but if you're not interested in replacing the front bumper and installing a permanent winch the options are limited.

What I found from the people who do use the hi-lift for recovery is that 1) you should get the 60" version to help reduce the number of times you have to reset and 2) you should get something like the Jack Mate to make winching easier.

I've seen other non-mounted options like hitch cradles for an electric winch or a come along but in terms of jack of all trades, master of none I haven't seen anything that holds a candle to the hi-lift.

NEWARE

Portalbe Winch

I used to carry a cheap one from Northern Tool. Takes up little room and has gotten me out of a couple binds.

skymark

You could buy a ratchet style come-a-long and put synthetic rope on it? Make it lighter and more useable.
Yes, I am thinking that a Wyeth-Scott may be the solution.

or, since I eventually want a bumper with a bull bar, maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the electric winch.

MNCarl

The Moose
Here is a amazon link to the the hi-lift off road kit as in the one youtube video posted......although it has mixed reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-Jack-ORK-Off-Road-Kit/dp/B00042KQ58

The bumper / electric winch option is definitely a slippery slope....In fact I am skiing down this slope write now...LOL
Not sure what you have for a vehicle...
First the bumper , then winch, then:
Spacer lift for front suspension, because the front of your vehicle sagged/dropped 3/4" from the weight of the bumper and winch.
Lift block , add a leaf , and or lift shackle for rear
Bigger tires 33"'s
Then you are not satisfied with the ride quality
Then onto replacing your entire suspension
Extended length Coilovers , upper control arms , or new springs and shocks
Rear bumper for departure angles
rock sliders
skid plates
Then you want 35" tires and ARB air lockers front and rear.
Now you need to re-gear to 4:10's or 4:56 gear ratio
And now you almost have rock crawling rig.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online