Help with Anderson Powerpole Connectors

just eric

Adventurer
In preparation for wiring of my ARB 50qt to my 4runner, I've been reading up on Anderson Powerpole connectors. I am a little confused and need some help.

Here's my plan: I already have the ARB fridge wiring kit. I'd like to wire it to the Anderson connectors housed in a Powerwerx PanelPole and install Anderson connectors on the business end of the fridge power cord. I would then like to install the PanelPole into a two hole panel mounting plate with a voltmeter.

My questions are these:

1. The Powepole web site indicates you should use the 75 amp powepole connectors. Can/should I use the 45 amp connectors that come with the panel?
  2. Will the ARB 8 gauge wire fit in the 45 amp powerpole connectors?
  3. What would be the best way to wire in the volt meter? Direct to the battery or can it be spliced into the 8 gauge wires?

Sorry about the hyperlinks but I could not figure out how to insert the photos. And thanks for any help you can lend.

ajmaudio

Adventurer
In preparation for wiring of my ARB 50qt to my 4runner, I've been reading up on Anderson Powerpole connectors. I am a little confused and need some help.

Here's my plan: I already have the ARB fridge wiring kit. I'd like to wire it to the Anderson connectors housed in a Powerwerx PanelPole and install Anderson connectors on the business end of the fridge power cord. I would then like to install the PanelPole into a two hole panel mounting plate with a voltmeter.

My questions are these:

1. The Powepole web site indicates you should use the 75 amp powepole connectors. Can/should I use the 45 amp connectors that come with the panel?
  2. Will the ARB 8 gauge wire fit in the 45 amp powerpole connectors?
  3. What would be the best way to wire in the volt meter? Direct to the battery or can it be spliced into the 8 gauge wires?

Sorry about the hyperlinks but I could not figure out how to insert the photos. And thanks for any help you can lend.

1. Not sure where you got 75 amps required?.... see no reason and panel mount doesnt appear to accept them anyhow
2. 45 amp contacts are for 10 gauge... you could likely shoehorn the 8 gauge if needed by trimming some, if you really need that size for a long run etc.
3. Depends on what you are trying to monitor. If you want to see the voltage at the fridge while under load then connect there.. if not.. then battery etc

... the powerwerx site has all the info on wire size etc for the terminals....

rayra

Expedition Leader
where does 45A and 75A come into it? ARB literature seems to say less than 3A draw. So why use their 8ga wire?

Arb's PDF only calls for a 15A fuse. http://store.arbusa.com/Assets/file/ARB_Fridge_Freezer_MAN_EN.pdf

Is it that the power cord supplied with the fridge is too large for the smaller amperage APP wire tabs? Or are you choosing to run a phat 8ga from your battery source? If that's just for the fridge it's overkill. If you are wanting to power other things in the rear, then run you 8ga branch circuit from your battery and install an aux fuse panel at the rear end of it and use one of those branch circuits to power the fridge, with a proper gauge of wire.

Guessing at your setup, didn't really have the context / background details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne