CARFAX reports

MTSN

Explorer
My alt-point was that Carfax doesn't tell you or guarantee anything other than if your vehicle as totaled and they didn't report that. That's it really. Read their site and try to find out what they offer you. In my case, the dealer told me it was in an accident. I went to Carfax and found out that just because it's not on the report, doesn't mean it wasn't in an accident.

Alt-point like alt-facts? Honestly I've read and re-read your posts in this thread and am thoroughly confused by what you're trying to say. I think the point you're trying to make is that if a car has been in an accident it's not necessarily reflected in the Carfax, but that's very well known. There are myriad reasons why it wouldn't be reported, but like a lot of other things Carfax is just one data point in making a buying decision.

kmcintyre

Observer
Alt-point like alt-facts? Honestly I've read and re-read your posts in this thread and am thoroughly confused by what you're trying to say. I think the point you're trying to make is that if a car has been in an accident it's not necessarily reflected in the Carfax, but that's very well known. There are myriad reasons why it wouldn't be reported, but like a lot of other things Carfax is just one data point in making a buying decision.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. Forget about the accident reported to me by the dealer, that just got me started on researching Carfax reports. I was reporting to people who think Carfax will catch issues related to a car you are purchasing; that it most likely won't. I suspect many people think it will. IMHO, it's a waste of money and dealers try to sell you on thinking it means something that it's not so you will pay more for a vehicle that is 'Carfax certified'.

MTSN

Explorer
All Carfax reports need to be taken with a grain of salt. My wife has been hit twice in her car, both times filed police reports, both times the other persons insurance paid claims, yet the Carfax is 100% perfect with no accidents reported. Neither accident was major, but they absolutely should show up on the Carfax since the police and insurance were involved. We're looking to get her a new car soon so I ran the Carfax and 2 other reports last week to see what was on there because we're most likely trading it into a dealer and wanted to have the knowledge before we start negotiating. It works out for us in this scenario, but I've bought "clean Carfax" cars in the past that had work done (repaired hail damage) that "should" have been reported. Caveat emptor always applies.

Happykamper

Explorer
All you need to do is read my post!! No Carfax and Autocheck do not report all accidents ! They pay shops and insurance companies to give them there info. Some do , some don't. But the mere fact there is an accident indicator tells you nothing !!! Ie. Washington state has a $700 dollar rule on there books that reads if there is $700.00's worth of work done to a vehicle it " must" be reported!!! That means a scuff on your bumper that you want replaced by a collision shop or dealer because of looks automatically produces a accident indicator ! There are several states with these type laws !!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
All you need to do is read my post!! No Carfax and Autocheck do not report all accidents ! They pay shops and insurance companies to give them there info. Some do , some don't. But the mere fact there is an accident indicator tells you nothing !!! Ie. Washington state has a $700 dollar rule on there books that reads if there is $700.00's worth of work done to a vehicle it " must" be reported!!! That means a scuff on your bumper that you want replaced by a collision shop or dealer because of looks automatically produces a accident indicator ! There are several states with these type laws !!

We upload service information to carfax, a feature that is built into our shop management software. We don't get paid for the info, but customers have found it useful for tracking their service history. The only benefit we've seen is if someone runs a carfax and then buys the vehicle we sometimes pick up a new customer because the new owner starts bringing it to us for service.

Tanto

Adventurer
Carfax helped me avoid a couple bad vehicles when I bought my wife's XC90 a few weeks ago. One had several accidents and the other had an odometer that had been tampered with.

Happykamper

Explorer
I'm not saying there is not a place for this type service. But seriously an accident indicator does not mean it's a bad vehicle. Except people have been trained to look at it and decipher it as such. Also when you have one service say Carfax showing an accident and the other " Autocheck " saying no! It's rediculous at times. I doubt anyone here would turn down a rig because it had a bumper replaced ! Heck we replace them as a ritual ! Lol ....point is just because it has an accident indicator does not mean it's a bad car. And the owner....and this could be you, suffers on a trade or a sale because it's there.
Now the good part of this reporting is it will show a ( salvage) ( frame damage) ( pillar damage ) (flood) ..the funny part here is again in the instance of a ( salvage) it does not say " why" it was salvaged. It could be salvaged for a number of reasons. Could be because the car was stolen and not recovered before insurance was paid. Or any number of reasons that if a buyer knew the circumstances they might not care. Especially if they were the type that keeps there vehicles till they run the wheels off.
Just saying it's a guide and as such it can be manipulated and is is far from a good guide. Crap it's 3am and I have to leave for a bit of hiking/kayaking in an hour!!! Love the no sleep thing! Maybe we need peoplefax !! Lol yes a service that shows the flaws in people before we take on a new relationship!!! ******** yep let's take this mundane thread in a new direction !!!

Peoplefax !!! I have a few dings!!! Both body wise and maybe a couple mental ...personality dings:). Certainly not a salvaged person yet tho. Lol I need to look into this a bit further .

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
WOW!.....cheap drugs down that way?????? Carfax did not show an accident that did not happen...dude, you are a special kind of stupid aren't ya!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier