Slightly stiff gear shift lever on my Gen 3.5

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Never noticed before but it seems like my gear shift lever has become just slightly stiffer to move from Park and down to Drive. I don't remember reading about this other than on the Fen 2 and 2.5's. Trying to pay attention to see if it gets worse or better. Is this a known issue that comes up? I will be looking for junk yard 2003-2006's for a few parts now. I will add this to the list.

Anyone have experience with this?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I only can recall the gentle bend in that cable as it passes out through the floor and u-turns to the transmission. Seemed pretty heavy duty. Maybe yours was cracked or got wet / damaged somehow. Mine is in good condition on the outside and shifts smoothly still.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I only can recall the gentle bend in that cable as it passes out through the floor and u-turns to the transmission. Seemed pretty heavy duty. Maybe yours was cracked or got wet / damaged somehow. Mine is in good condition on the outside and shifts smoothly still.

If you happen to know should I jump in from the inside of the interior or from underneath to check this cable? I will look at the FSM tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Also the bushings in the shifter itself can wear out and cause binding issues.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Trying to figure out if this will work:
It is listed for a 2001 Montero but I think they have a 4 spd and I have a 5 speed in my 2003. The seller is not sure either.
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=311736458002

Putting the truck in gear is getting very tricky now. Seems like it is going out fast. As soon as I have located the new part I will replace it.

Last edited:

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Removing center console to get to shifter cable. Anyone know how to remove the shifter handles, drive and 4x4 selectors? Looking wt FSM right now....

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Removing center console to get to shifter cable. Anyone know how to remove the shifter handles, drive and 4x4 selectors? Looking wt FSM right now....

The transfer case shifter unscrews (at least in my '02).
The transmission shifter has a screw hiding under a sleeve.
On the column of the shifter, right below the handle, is a plastic sleeve.
Carefully pry down on the sleeve between it and the handle. It should pop off and drop down. This will reveal a small set screw. Once you remove the screw, the entire assembly lifts up and off.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
The transfer case shifter unscrews (at least in my '02).
The transmission shifter has a screw hiding under a sleeve.
On the column of the shifter, right below the handle, is a plastic sleeve.
Carefully pry down on the sleeve between it and the handle. It should pop off and drop down. This will reveal a small set screw. Once you remove the screw, the entire assembly lifts up and off.

Thank you. Finally found it digging through the FSM. I will be dropping it off at the transmission shop in the morning before work. FSM says lower the transmission to get to the cable.... I am out at that point... I really want this done by Friday! Local place is 5 stars on yelp. Should be simple for a trans shop. I may still order parts on ebay in case they are needed... Will let you all know how it goes..

Offroadmuch

Explorer
IMG_3662.jpg
IMG_3663.jpg
Took my truck to Leon's Transmissions in Costa Mesa.
Brent took a look at everything. He disconnnected the cable and adjusted the tension and also identified a small broken plastic part that I can order and put in later (part number circled in diagram). He said the cable feels good compared to those that are worn out or broken. I picked it up today after work and it was 100% better. Less slop and moves between park, neutral, reverse, drive the way it used to. And to top it off he did not charge me!

Finally, he said a new cable installed would be $560.00. He said it was still in good shape and I could wait for more signs of wear. He could have had me for $560. Seems like an honest guy. He has consistent 5 stars on Yelp. I will add another one as a result of his fine service with me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles