Freespirit recreation

quadabaum

Thrifty Overland
Anyone on expo own one and can give a review and their experience thus far? They are competitively priced, look similar to other china rtt on the market, offer 2yr warranty, and have a free shipping deal right now. I am looking to upgrade to an rtt and have been looking at cvt summit series bachelor but the fsr extremem series small canopy looks appealing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

yngbuck19

Adventurer
Anyone on expo own one and can give a review and their experience thus far? They are competitively priced, look similar to other china rtt on the market, offer 2yr warranty, and have a free shipping deal right now. I am looking to upgrade to an rtt and have been looking at cvt summit series bachelor but the fsr extremem series small canopy looks appealing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Link?

vs_jk

I took delivery of my Freespirit Recreation (FSR) Manual 60 adventure series roof top tent just last week. I'm waiting for the crossbars for my roof rack to be delivered so I can get the thing mounted. So, I haven't yet truly used it. But here is what I can say thus far.

You are right that they are priced very competitively. I had narrowed my choices down to this or a James Baroud Horizon. I really like the design of the adventure series and how it fits over a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. During the process of ordering, I've had many questions for FSR. Even when I would send questions via email over weekends, I would get responses very quickly. After I received the tent, I had more questions for them and the responses were very quick once again. I would say so far the customer service has been top notch!

When I took delivery of it, it was packed very well in a wooden crate. Inside the crate was a large cardboard box and with thick foam padding. The tent itself has beautiful build quality/fit and finish. To be completely honest, this is my first roof top tent so I don't have any others to compare to. But i can tell it's very well built with double stitching throughout. All the stitching has waterproofing over it and the window areas and rain fly have aluminized fabric. I tested the zippers and they seem to be of good quality as well. And there are several since the tent has a lot of windows and vents that you can open and shut to your liking. Outside the tent there are a couple of large hanging pouches for shoes. Inside the tent there are two more large pouches and several hooks to hang things from. The frame also appears to be very well built. I love how you can have a fully packed tent and within minutes, have the whole thing popped up and ready to go. In fact, taking off the tent cover takes slightly longer than actually getting the whole tent popped up. Once popped up, the fabric is taut over the frame. No saggy fabric here.

Laying down in the tent is very comfortable. One because the size is rather large, which in my case means that 2 adults and a kid easily fit in it. And two because there is a thin foam pad at the bottom with a 3" memory foam mattress over it.

I'll report back once I've had a chance to use the tent over a trip. Eventually I'll plan to post a review after I've had a few trips with it.

Last edited:

vs_jk

Finally put my FSR Adventure Series Manual 60 to use!

Spring and summer flew by! I've just gotten back from using my FSR Adventure Series Manual 60 RTT for the first time! I got this tent to use with my 2008 JKU riding on 33's with a Teraflex Nebo roof rack. When I had received the tent, I found the included mounting brackets just didn't fit the Nebo crossbars. So, I sent an email to FSR. Within a few hours I had responses saying they would figure out something to help me. They asked for a measurement of the crossbars. A few days later I received a package from FSR. They had bent their stock mounting brackets to fit the crossbars I have! I thought this was excellent customer service on their part!

As mentioned, I had narrowed down to this tent in my search for an RTT. My goal was to get an RTT that was relatively light, didn't stick up too high, had a built in rain fly, could fit 3 people, and a competitive price. The only two tents that matched these requirements were the FSR Adventure Series or the James Baroud Horizon. The FSR was nearly $800 less and looked to be a unique tent in a sea of look alikes. One minor issue is that the FSR website claims the height of this tent folded down is 9”. In reality, it's closer to 11”. But this makes a difference in my case because I have to be able to fit the Jeep with the tent on it, through the garage door!

The Teraflex Nebo is a fairly low rise roof rack. In fact, when the FSR tent is resting on it, there is not enough room for the stock M8 bolts and the knob nuts. I had to purchase slightly shorter M8 bolts and locknuts instead from my local hardware store. This is not a big deal though as we're talking less than $10 for this.

IMG_4374.jpg

The tent fits just about perfectly on the Nebo rack in relation to height. There is just enough room to reach in with a ratcheting wrench to tighten the mounts. Yet it all fits fairly low to the roof. I can just squeeze under the garage to get the Jeep out!

IMG_4376.jpg

Since it's Labor Day weekend, all the nearby camp grounds were full. So we found a spot at a State Park about 1.5 hour away. I was expecting the Jeep to drive differently with the tent mounted on it. Other than the automatic shifting sooner to get up hills, I didn't notice any difference in driving characteristics. It drove down the highway planted and without any drama. I was also expecting there to be a lot of wind noise with the extra 11 inches sticking up on top of the Jeep. But it was not bad at all! Gas mileage went from around 19.5 MPG to 16.5 with the RTT. Not bad especially considering that my JKU hasn't been properly re-geared for the larger tires.

On the drive, we got a lot of stares with the RTT mounted on the Jeep. We arrived at the campground and I found a level spot to park the Jeep at our campsite. Taking the PVC cover on the RTT took a few minutes to remove. This is the lengthiest part about setting up this RTT at around a whopping 4 minutes or so. Once the cover is off, the tent pops up effortlessly in about a minute or so. And this is with just one person doing all the work (my wife and daughter didn't feel confident enough about setting it up for the first time to help). In a total of about 5-6 minutes the tent was completely setup and ready for use. The ladder seems to be of great quality and telescopes out easily. As soon as the tent was set up, we got ooh's and aah's from the nearby campers. Nearly everyone commented on how they had never seen anything like it and how cool it was! It was quite an attention getting setup! Not exactly my goal but it's all part of the ownership experience I suppose.

IMG_4377.jpg

IMG_4385.jpg

IMG_4390.jpg

My daughter had a fun time playing up there in the tent while my wife and I got the grill going and began preparing the meal.

IMG_4436.jpg

It was starting to get dark and so I started taking our pillows and blanket up to the tent. Once in there, I noticed my daughter had already discovered all the various hooks at the inside corners of the tent for hanging personal belongings. Also, there are two large pouches with multiple pockets for placing various things such as wallets, phones, etc. The tent also has two vents built into the frontside. Also placed on both sides of the ladder mount are two large pouches that fold down to place shoes into. Before the evening was over, we had these stuffed with about 5 pairs of shoes total. That's what happens when you travel with ladies!

Once we all got in, we had enough room for the three of us to lay in there and be comfortable. The tent has both mesh windows as well as zipper panels that fold down when unzipped for rain or privacy. It was in the high 70's by now so we chose to leave all the windows unzipped and let the air flow through. Inside it was very comfortable temperature wise. At night the temps got down to 59 but it remained comfortable. Also it was comfortable with the dual foam mattress that the tent comes with. The lower layer is a thin foam. And then on top of it is a memory foam that is much thicker. There is a nice diamond stitched cover to go over all of this. The end result is a very comfortable mattress in the tent. If it weren't for my daughter kicking me in the middle of the night, I would have slept all the way through!

In the morning, when I got out of the tent, there was so much fog and morning dew that it looked like it had rained. But fortunately for us, the FSR tent is well sealed and we did not notice any leaks. As we prepared to get going, putting the tent back down and getting the cover on was just as easy as putting it on. It all went together very quickly and we were on the road!

IMG_4435.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. I have a feeling that we're going to be using this tent often and that I'll need to start buying other camping gear for future trips!

Last edited:

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Thanks so much for the review vs_jk! (I really appreciated the heads up via pm that you'd updated too). I got one a few weeks back as well, the M55 version, and I've mounted it, but haven't had the chance to use it yet. I'll report back after I do.

Here's a quick pic of it after mounting, on my jdm pickup.

7c8826ee0c5860eaba95978e358e29f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

coop74

Old Camping Dude
that thing looks like a huge sail... have you had issues with wing blowing into the entry way and folding it back?

vs_jk

The way the aluminum frame latches is pretty solid. I didn't feel like it would fold with the wind. But then again, we'll see when I'm using it in a really high wind speed setting.

TE!

I have been looking into the Automatic Hardshell 49 Freespirit Recreation tent... does anyone have any feedback or reviews on there automatic hardshell?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94