Thread: Jeep Comanche Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerphil View Post
    The tank is in great shape(although I threw the sending unit away). What would something like that go for? As in a great price(I got the back half for $250, so might as well pay it forward)....I also brought the holding straps home too.
    Nooo! You can buy new fuel tanks for the MJ but the MJ sending units are not available anywhere, except on the used market.

Here is a fine example of a MJ bed trailer:
    http://comancheclub.com/topic/32293-...the-comansion/

I look forward to seeing how you build this trailer.
    Brett | KonzaOverland | KEĜEBF | '99 UZJ100 | '03 Rubicon | '92 Comanche | '86 Comanche

Quote Originally Posted by 87Warrior View Post
    Nooo! You can buy new fuel tanks for the MJ but the MJ sending units are not available anywhere, except on the used market.

Here is a fine example of a MJ bed trailer:
    http://comancheclub.com/topic/32293-...the-comansion/

I look forward to seeing how you build this trailer.
    That's the story of my life

I followed that guys build, it was impressive to say the least.
    Last edited by gixxerphil; 03-18-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tarditi View Post
    Very cool. Bonus points for the Jeep tailgate. Would get extra cool points if you modified the 4.0L to 40L and added a 40L water storage tank :-)

I had a Commanche, but it was the dreaded 2.8L... gave me too many issues and I traded it for my first wrangler (1993 YJ) back in 1993. I'm on my 5th wrangler and 7th Jeep now (with a few breaks in-between)

Hard to tell from your design, but looks like you have a central tube design - putting a 2" hitch in the rear for a bike carrier or something?

Good luck, please keep us posted with progress.
    At this time I don't have plans for water storage. I will only be out a few days at the time. As far as the hitch, I thought about one of those that just bolt to the bumper. The only thing it would carry would be a bike.

At this time I don't have plans for water storage. I will only be out a few days at the time. As far as the hitch, I thought about one of those that just bolt to the bumper. The only thing it would carry would be a bike.
    I'm not sure if the reference to the fuel tank is that you plan on keeping it on the trailer for fuel, but on mine I had kept it for that reason, and on the opposing side where the exhaust ran originally I found a 60L water tank that was very close to the fuel tank's size and mounted it accordingly.
    2003 Nissan Xterra - 4x4, 5-Speed, Supercharged
    - 2" BL, SLR UCA, Revolvers, Military-Wrap Leafs & Rear Inboard Shocks
    - 33" MT/R Kevlar, DT Headers, Volant Intake & Terrano Snorkel
    - Dual Battery, 165amp Alternator, Titan Winch 10K, Heated Seats & Mirror
    2001 Nissan Frontier SE - Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
    - Titan Winch Roof Top Tent. Sunday Campers WA02 Awning
    - 75L Fuel, 60L Water, 20lb Propane
    - Dual Isolated Batteries, Wabasto AirTop 2000, Martin Hot Water Heater

Quote Originally Posted by Nd4SpdSe View Post
    I'm not sure if the reference to the fuel tank is that you plan on keeping it on the trailer for fuel, but on mine I had kept it for that reason, and on the opposing side where the exhaust ran originally I found a 60L water tank that was very close to the fuel tank's size and mounted it accordingly.
    At this time, I won't be out long enough to need water/gas storage(plus I picked up 5 Blitz jerry cans still in the shipping box off CL a few years ago and have managed to keep/set 2 aside for myself) . I would love to "expo" this thing out, but I really have to make purchases useful for now.

Since I haven't picked up the trailer yet, I've been thinking about kayak transport if I can get a camper shell. I'm leaning towards the Hauler Racks from Lowes for $150ish. They have a 300lb load capacity and I think it'll be more than enough for a few kayaks.

Since I haven't picked up the trailer yet, I've been thinking about kayak transport if I can get a camper shell. I'm leaning towards the Hauler Racks from Lowes for $150ish. They have a 300lb load capacity and I think it'll be more than enough for a few kayaks.

I got something similar off of amazon for I think 90, it bolts flat to the roof, its a Vantech m1000, it works great and actually doesn't look terrible, solid steel construction with a 55" cross bar makes it fit my 2 yaks face down next to eachother

Quote Originally Posted by 02rangeredge View Post
    I got something similar off of amazon for I think 90, it bolts flat to the roof, its a Vantech m1000, it works great and actually doesn't look terrible, solid steel construction with a 55" cross bar makes it fit my 2 yaks face down next to eachother
    Thanks, I will definitely check that out. Always like to save money if I can

Small update, the welder said the trailer will be ready Friday. I should have it wired and on the road this weekend.

I got the trailer back Thursday afternoon. It is definitely over built, but I'm ok with that
    The tongue was built a bit long b/c I plan to add a toolbox and can have extra storage.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast