Jeep Comanche Trailer

gixxerphil

Observer
Since I haven't picked up the trailer yet, I've been thinking about kayak transport if I can get a camper shell. I'm leaning towards the Hauler Racks from Lowes for $150ish. They have a 300lb load capacity and I think it'll be more than enough for a few kayaks.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Since I haven't picked up the trailer yet, I've been thinking about kayak transport if I can get a camper shell. I'm leaning towards the Hauler Racks from Lowes for $150ish. They have a 300lb load capacity and I think it'll be more than enough for a few kayaks.

I got something similar off of amazon for I think 90, it bolts flat to the roof, its a Vantech m1000, it works great and actually doesn't look terrible, solid steel construction with a 55" cross bar makes it fit my 2 yaks face down next to eachother

gixxerphil

Observer
I got something similar off of amazon for I think 90, it bolts flat to the roof, its a Vantech m1000, it works great and actually doesn't look terrible, solid steel construction with a 55" cross bar makes it fit my 2 yaks face down next to eachother

Thanks, I will definitely check that out. Always like to save money if I can :********:

gixxerphil

Observer
Small update, the welder said the trailer will be ready Friday. I should have it wired and on the road this weekend.

gixxerphil

Observer
I got the trailer back Thursday afternoon. It is definitely over built, but I'm ok with that :D
The tongue was built a bit long b/c I plan to add a toolbox and can have extra storage.

gixxerphil

Observer
I was able to mount the spare 31 in the factory location(all the equipment was surprisingly there :D)

My welder made it so that I can remove the chains and hitches.

He also welded me up a ball hitch. $20 well spent IMHO.

gixxerphil

Observer
I did a little fab work on the lights :********: I cut the original reverse light socket and then bought an 1157 light and socket. I wedged the socket into the original and was able to put it in the middle hole of the tail light. That's the extent of my fab skills :D

It worked :********:

All lights/blinkers work.

I had the intentions of splicing into the factory wiring, but quickly changed my mind and decided to run new wires. I also replaced the rusted clips and screws that hold the tail lights in place(I forgot to take pics :D) I still need to buy two new tag lights and splice into the new wiring. I have the tubing and stuff, just need the lights.

Last edited:

gixxerphil

Observer
I pulled the trailer down the interstate a little over an hour going home. It pulled great with no problems. I just need to get some nutserts and put the toolbox on.

(none)

Adventurer
Wow! Looks great. That is quite a long tongue, but hopefully you won't have to worry about the lack of tongue weight once you load down the bed like i do.

And i did about the same thing with my ranger bed trailer, just ripped out the factory wiring and used a trailer harness. Much easier than splicing.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Wow! Looks great. That is quite a long tongue, but hopefully you won't have to worry about the lack of tongue weight once you load down the bed like i do.

And i did about the same thing with my ranger bed trailer, just ripped out the factory wiring and used a trailer harness. Much easier than splicing.

any pictures of the trailer? I have a ranger and have been looking for a good layout for the back

gixxerphil

Observer

Once I throw the toolbox on and add the gas cans, it'll shorten up the look of the tongue.

gixxerphil

Observer
Just a quick update. I haven't bought anything for the trailer(I'm having a time deciding on which route to go). It's been used to haul a trans/t-case back and my kayak.....been doing what I expected :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles