Ladder for Four wheel camper Hawk

4wsilver

I am looking for any suggestions for a ladder design to assist in getting into the over cab sleeping bed of my 1990 Hawk. My wife and I are in our 70's and we bought the Hawk for one trip but have used it for a lot of trips since. We have had extended trips of between 30 and 90 days and really enjoy getting further out. We live in New Mexico but travel throughout the western part of US mostly but have made it east and to Canada as far as the upper portion of NW territory. We bought the unit around 2010 and have extensively modified it to our needs and tastes. It is on a 2004 Silverado and the only problem is gas mileage. (Our motor home, 1986 Vixen 21TD gets 26.5 mpg towing a Samurai) That being said, we want to take it on a trip in the near future and my wife is between operation for knee replacement and will need a little help getting into bed. We have experimented and a ladder would work.

Has anyone had any ideas for a ladder to use in a Hawk? I have a few ideas but would like to hear from others.
Thanks
Wally

SidecarFlip

Go to the lumber yard, get yourself some straight grained hardwood boards 1" thick and a hardwood closet rod 1" in diameter and build yourself a ladder. You'll need some Elmers glue and a table saw and mortising bit to bore the holes for the closet rod rungs and some stain to match but it's a weekend project at most.

We had the same issue as you, 2 old farts that have trouble getting in the bunk. They call us Ma and Pa Kettle...lol

I cut the top of my uprights to fit over the lip on the bunk edge so it stays in place.

When not in use, it lays on the bunk out of the way....

brian90744

American Trekker
Bunk Bed ladder

check kids bunk bed ladder at Goodwill like stores, in the daytime put up on bed. JFYI=brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz