Mattresses

Chips

Mothertrucker
What have you all used for mattresses? I'm looking for something to fit in the back of my suburban which is 49" wide at the point the mattress will sit. I've found some RV mattresses online which are 75" x 49" which would be a perfect fit, but the price plus shipping to Canada is a bit steep. I've been thinking cutting some upholstery foam to fit but thought I would see what others have done first. A tri-fold design would be good so it can be stowed easily in the vehicle or when being stored in the house.

Maninga

Adventurer
I got mine at Ikea. It's fairly thin, rolls up nicely and comfortable enough that we use it as a spare mattress when friends stay at our house.

If we find it needs a bit more spring/cushion, will add some Froli springs to it

Chips

Mothertrucker
I'd recommend a Paco Pad They're a bit spendy, but extremely durable, easy to maintain, and super comfy.

I wouldn't mind one of those but it would mean I'd be travelling alone. My idea of camping is wearing a hat at night to stay warm in a tent in sub-zero temperatures. My girlfriends idea is quite different but needless to say involves 5" of foam minimum!

Chips

Mothertrucker
I was just having a casual browse on eBay, sorted the results by price and found this - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/112336978148 - it's too big but being foam I can cut it down to size. I couldn't buy the foam alone for anywhere near that price.

The seller has no feedback but for the sake of $22 USD I thought I'd take a gamble! Paid through PayPal so I can always raise a dispute if it doesn't arrive.

dlh62c

Explorer
Things to consider is the ability to source fitted sheets unless you intend to always use sleeping bags. Some foam mattress can be rock hard when used when the weather is cold.

dlh62c

Explorer
Custom mattress usually means custom sheets, but easily made by anybody with a sewing machine. Especially so if its simply a narrowing of a standard size.
I use colourful sheet just to cover my pizza & barf stained mattress, & normally use sleepingbag if its going to be cold.

That's my point!

onelif2live85

Following this as well. I'm a big guy and Hoping to begin some extended stays in my rig, comfort is important!

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

Chips

Mothertrucker
I found a foam pad at Canadian Tire, which I haven't bought yet but plan to - http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/outbound-double-wide-foam-pad-0765485p.html

It's already the perfect width for my vehicle and the sheet of 8x4 that I'm going to use to build the sleeping platform. It's a little on the short side but we're supposed to be camping! It's still 10 times better than a camping mat on the ground. If it's not thick enough then I'll add a mattress topper of some sort or a layer of thinner, cheaper foam underneath.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I wouldn't mind one of those but it would mean I'd be travelling alone. My idea of camping is wearing a hat at night to stay warm in a tent in sub-zero temperatures. My girlfriends idea is quite different but needless to say involves 5" of foam minimum!

I second the paco pad. They will make you whatever shape and thickness you want and as a bonus they can double as a raft or floating mattress for lounging in a lake or lazy river. I had them make me a 4" thick queen size pad for my camper. I took it out on the lake last summer and it's like a small floating island. Also it's very comfortable and nearly indestructible. I am also planning on adding a 2" memory foam topper to it to really make things cozy.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Search for Mattress Topper. I bought a pair of them that I use for a mattress. The ones I bought have two densities of foam, firm and soft. I stack them up for a queensize mattress that is 4 inches thick. I paid around $100 for the pair. It's very comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke