Tire tread wear question?

rgregg08

Looking for some tire advice from the tire experts out there. My wrangler was totaled and I kept the tires and wheels off it and was going to put the tires on my new Power Wagon. Well long story short the tire shop tore the inner bead area on 2 of the 4 (the 5th tire spare was chewed up in the wreck). Which leads into my next question. Below is a picture that is representative of the tread depth for 2 of the tires that i have left that are still good to go (left photo). These are 315 70 17's Duratracs that had around 22k miles on them.

The other picture is the stock 33's on Power Wagon with sub 1k miles on them (right pic). Looks like they are maybe 2mm or so off in comparison to my used ones of the JKU. Note: the stock 33 is tread depth reference as that what the tread of a new 315 70 would look like.

Would you guys buy two new 315 70's to go with the two used i currently have or sell the 2 used and start with 4 new of whatever tire in size 315 70?

Cheers!

IMG_7458.JPGIMG_7460.JPG

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
How many Texas summers they been thru? How old are they, any signs of cracking? Tread wise alone, they're barely used, I'd have no qualms in that regard about using them. But if they're 3-4yrs+ old I'd sell them to an optimist and buy new.

rgregg08

How many Texas summers they been thru? How old are they, any signs of cracking? Tread wise alone, they're barely used, I'd have no qualms in that regard about using them. But if they're 3-4yrs+ old I'd sell them to an optimist and buy new.

They were brand new in the early months of 2015. So no cracking or anything like that. Jeep stayed in the garage at home and at work. I'm 50/50 on whether to get two more or start fresh. Hmmmmm

rayra

Expedition Leader
2yrs, sheltered? Run them. No reason to spend the additional money. Spend it on an 'expedition', 'tis the season. Just put the new pair on the front and call it done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior