New Alucab Camper?

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Anyone seen this thing?
This is all i can find from instagram stuff. Past that, its hard to find!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ3lue_hMeZ/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ5nqd8FKb2/
VIDEOS

Alucab Camper by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

Im already on the waiting list with OK4wd to get one.
Supposedly its a 10-12k price, should be here in June. Meets all my needs for a slide in and half the price of a FWC.

Thoughts?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Cool!

A few neat features I like in particular...

The way they handled the stairs is one. :ylsmoke:

Much better than a split (up/down) door.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy

Thank you for the obvious.

Looking for harder to find stuff
Cool!

A few neat features I like in particular...

The way they handled the stairs is one. :ylsmoke:

Much better than a split (up/down) door.

I agree. From the pics i can see, the front storage is fully open side to side, so thats a pretty cool idea as well. Im pretty interested in seeing more about it. Its still a few mounts out apparently

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
So do you have to take the spare tire off to open the door? First pic has it there and last doesn't. Not sure I'd want to have to hoist it up there.

dcoy

Adventurer
Cool. Probably not a cold weather camping solution given the all aluminum frame though. Also, the spare tire thing could be an issue.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
It was be nice to have some optional side boxes for a flatbed mount.

They have another camper like that already
http://www.alu-cab.co.za/standard-products/ossewa-camper

Cool. Probably not a cold weather camping solution given the all aluminum frame though. Also, the spare tire thing could be an issue.
I kinda see some insulation in there somewhere, so i cant really comment on that. I live in florida and travel the southeast mainly, so not an issue for me either way. I haven't really put much thought into that part.

So do you have to take the spare tire off to open the door? First pic has it there and last doesn't. Not sure I'd want to have to hoist it up there.

Im sure you dont have to put your spare there
Im told its being designed so it fits a long bed tacoma with a bumper and tire carrier. So i know I wont have an issue, but a shortbed may.

ossewaheader.png

Roger M.

Adventurer
This thing just makes so much sense in terms of an ultra-light camper package.

The problem with regular pop up campers as overland rigs is the "kitchen inside the camper" concept, which sucks when you're cooking typical camp food (like bacon, sausage, etc) with grease spattering all over the inside of the camper.
Also I have no fondness for fake wood, linoleum floors, and a bunch of other "stuff" that simply weighs the camper down and offers nothing of value to the overlander.

It would be great to find out much (hint-hint OK4WD :) ) more about this prototype, hopefully in a series of detailed pictures and/or a well made video.

This definitely seems to have a major advantage over the "truck cap" style of pop-up camper, which - despite claims of being waterproof and dust-proof, my previous half dozen or so truck canopies (all of which leaked water, and let dust in) dispute that general line of thinking - regardless of the quality of the rubber "bulb" seal.

This is, as a package ... the first thing I've seen in my years of looking that really hits all the overlanding buttons (for those of us who desire a truck and camper combination), and doesn't carry with it any extraneous "stuff" that will either just add weight, or eventually just break.

If these are priced right, and are made easily available (unlike some hard to get South African or Australian campers), I could see this being very popular with overlanders, a very big seller.

Roger M.

Adventurer
I just stumbled onto this site, it's not the English version of the Alu Cab site, and didn't show up in a normal search for "Alu Cab Camper".

Runt

Adventurer
The Khaya is apparently being brought to USA via Adventure Ready. I'm very interested in the Khaya .... especially for cold weather camping. Apparently there is a insulation kit available for the pop up. Only concern is the furnace btu out put. Sub - 30 Celsius enviorment with pop campers require a 20,000 btu output in my experience. Planner 2D furnace would nend to be upgraded to the larger 8D model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94