Is OEM GPS location data accessable on a tablet?

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
Hi folks!
I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to in my searching over the past few hours, and I'm hoping the good people here can help me sort this out. (I'm probably phrasing it wrong, so I'm not getting any meaningful search results)

I am interesting in using an Android tablet as a platform for off road navigation. Some tablet's have built in GPS units of varying accuracy, and some just don't have that feature included. I am aware of Bluetooth and USB GPS antennas on the market that offer greater performance, but I was wondering if it is possible to access the location data provided from my OEM GPS antenna that is already built into my 4Runner, rather than purchasing a separate antenna?

My '15 Trail has GPS which works great- but it isn't great for rout/trip planning.

Is it possible to use the location data from my truck on a tablet?

Your expertise is appreciated!

Thanks, folks! :beer:

esh

Explorer
Short answer is no. One way to do this would be to write an OBDII interface to grab the GPS data (over bluetooth unless you build a physical USB-OBDII adapter, which would eat your device's USB port) and then modify your android app to read that data. Kind of a steep barrier without some electronics and software development skills.

Any mainstream tablet should have GPS capability and they generally work well to provide location if they are in some reasonable view of the front windshield. Apple used to have GPS only in their cell-capable tablets, but I don't think that's a thing any longer.

This is a good site to compare specs - http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Class/Tablet

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
Just get an android tablet with GPS built in

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mathews

Banned
Its better option to go with android tablet for GPS use.

Android devices are more better than the other devices.

e60ral

The iPad GPS is objectively better, but not enough to be worth the outrageous price. My Asus tablet was $130 and I get great GPS accuracy

Jason911

Adventurer
I did some mapping of a state forest bike trails with a iPad mini/bluetooth and BadElf gps receiver mounted on my bicycle. Gathered all the data/GPS waypoints needed for a hyper accurate trails map. Relatively inexpensive too. Probably have pictures if you want.

robgendreau

Explorer
Yeah, even getting a GPS dongle to stick on the roof or something would probably be much easier in time, effort and expense than trying to interface with something built in. Car stuff like that still has a long way to go.

e60ral

Yeah, even getting a GPS dongle to stick on the roof or something would probably be much easier in time, effort and expense than trying to interface with something built in. Car stuff like that still has a long way to go.
It's probably not necessary, with my cheap android tablet in a ram mount fairly low I still have <1m accuracy

rayra

Expedition Leader
Just search for tablets with differential GPS. That will get you all the accuracy you need.

My Android Samsung Tab 3 Lite Refurb was $79. The GPS in it works real nice for all sorts of nav apps, both on and off-road.

you can read about it here -
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...ablet-GPS-mounts-please?p=2075866#post2075866

tabletbracket13_zpsdta0mgly.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier