Lockers for Truck & Camper

littledoc

With so many forums focussing more on lighter 4x4 vehicles I have been struggling to get some more specific answers. I am also a bit wary of "I have them so you should get them too" points of view. I am in the process of getting the mods done to my vehicle and have been reading up on the ins and outs of lockers and diffs.

Sure, it's great to have when you need it. But if someone is using for highway only then they don't need it. Someone extensively travelling untracked deserts would need it. Where is the sensible tipping point.

I plan on using it for Overlanding so likely 90% highway, 9.5% off road and likely only 0.5% in more difficult scenarios - river / sand / snow. I am not trying to avoid getting them, in fact having some extra gear is always an addictive pastime - and better safe than sorry, but will not shell out for them if the general consensus is that I will likely not need them.

Vehicle

Ram 3500 ('07), single rear wheel, manual 6 speed, 5.9 Cummins + Camper.
Toyo Open Country AT2 w/ small lift (2 or 2.5")
Warn 16.5Ti winch
11.5 Rear Axle with Anti Spin Diff

Questions

With the above heavy vehicle in mind, at what point does having a locker become necessary - loose gravel, loose gravel uphill, snow, sand? I mainly hear chatter about rock crawling, and then snow / sand .... occasionally someone saying they need it to get up hills. Do you have them and at what point do you switch them on?

With the above in mind, and ARB being the main option, if I needed lockers then front locker or rear locker or both? Would one get you out of most situations with 2 being used as a last resort. Or does having both significantly increase ability?

Any other options that might negate the need for lockers? Or even be a nice addition in their own right?

Thanks in advance for your time.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
From personal experience, about the only time you will need a locker with such a setup is if you start lifting a tire.

With just the added weight, good tires and limited slip rear end, I rarely even need 4x4, even in North Idaho and plenty of snow and ice.

All that said, I have needed 4x4 in plenty of places, pushing thru mud and snow to get off the beaten path just a bit further.

And I always carry a full set of tire chains, in the off chance that I need more traction than the tires alone can supply.

Only a few times have I needed chains, but at that point you are getting a bit crazy. A good 1-ton truck with a camper, pushing through 3+ feet of snow....

bigskypylot

Explorer
From personal experience, about the only time you will need a locker with such a setup is if you start lifting a tire.

With just the added weight, good tires and limited slip rear end, I rarely even need 4x4, even in North Idaho and plenty of snow and ice.

All that said, I have needed 4x4 in plenty of places, pushing thru mud and snow to get off the beaten path just a bit further.

And I always carry a full set of tire chains, in the off chance that I need more traction than the tires alone can supply.

Only a few times have I needed chains, but at that point you are getting a bit crazy. A good 1-ton truck with a camper, pushing through 3+ feet of snow....

You'll 1 ton guys have all the fun lol

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I have had lockers since 1986. First a Detroit locker, and this was before anyone really knew what a locker was and rock crawling didn't even exist in it's current form...we just called it off-roading back then, and now ARB F&R all in the same truck.
For a long time I went places you either had to have a locker or a spool, limited slips of any variety were useless. If you travel alone a locker is a great tool to have. You don't have to be rock-crawling to get the benefit of them. It could be something as simple as having one tire on pavement and the other on ice or hardpacked snow and for what ever reason you can't back out of it to get a run of change position. If you are traveling the back country and come across a creek crossing or a mud hole that you are unsure of a locker(s) can be engaged as a precautionary measure. Sure you could use the winch but would you rather just drive through or have to get out in the mud and spend the next hour winching and getting everything muddy? Sometimes mtn trails can have one side of the trail melted off and a section in the shade that is hard backed snow or ice. With a locker you can make that one side of the trail with good traction work in you favor. All it takes is a loss of traction for whatever reason and you are stuck. It doesn't have to be a 10 ile long trail just 1' of distance and your tires are in the middle of it and you are going to have to come up with something to get moving. They can also keep you from having to hammer on your truck to get over/through/around something. You are talking about your weight. Detroits were first used in heavy trucks, much heavier than your Dodge, weight isn't always the answer.
If you only get one put it in the rear, the rear axle is much stronger and can handle the extra stress on one shaft. There are definitely places where you might only want a front locker engaged and the rear left open but they are few and far between.
I am not saying get one because I have one I am saying what I have learned in the last 31 years of off-roading as a passion.
My .02

Darrell

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thanksgiving%20trip%202012%20013-L.jpg

I'm right at 9000 lbs in that picture and the road to get there was loose gravel on moguls. I have a front locker (Eaton E-locker) which is a great option for the AAM 9.25 axles we both have (mine IFS, yours SA). Could I have gotten there without it, probably, but the locker made it a walk in the park versus a tire spinning event. I still have the gov-lock in the rear and am happy with this set up as I have used it several times in the back country to make my life easier. My wife and I travel alone most of the time, so between the front locker and winch, we feel a lot more secure.

Jack

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Your truck is pretty heavy, so sinking in sand and mud may be an issue. Airing down tires will get you into most situations, but won't always get you out. If you air down, you'll need to air up. If you hard mount a compressor, even a small one, you are on the way to ARB lockers. The rear LS diff in the Dodge is OK, and I have one on my Power Wagon, but I also have factory electric lockers front and rear. I don't use the lockers very often, but when I do, I'm really glad to have them. Really glad. If you get lockers, start with the rear. Whichever locker you get, make it a fully selectable locker like the ARB. Other than the GM G80 "locker", the automatic or non-selectable lockers can cause dangerous handling on slick pavement.

littledoc

I am heading towards front and rear. I will have a compressor mounted already in the camper and ARB's were the default option from the guy doing the build. He seems to know his stuff, but I always think speaking to someone other than who you are giving money to is a prudent measure. I don't think i have ever researched anything with such contrary views. Some say front, some back, some never use, some use often. I think I'll cover my bases.

Thaks guys.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Having Lockers means tires tear up mother earth in less in situations. Otherwise you have to dance, spin and dig to move along the same path. So IMHO its not "if" about getting lockers. It is about "when" to carry out the plan to add them.

Meili

Adventurer
Lots of good advice. Considering you stated 90% highway, Tru-trac or activated rear locker is the way to go.

I took the Gov-lock out of the front of my S10 and went with custom posi. Out back has the tru-trac.

Both are totally invisible when driving on the street and will get you out of all but the most hardcore wheeling.

Another thing that helps and is often overlooked is suspension. If your tires are in the air it does not matter type of posi/tire combo you have.

It's the total package that matters. Careful choices with parts you can have your cake and eat it too.

Kevin108

Explorer
I've added rear lockers to several vehicles. I wouldn't own a rig without one now. It effectively doubles your traction. What's not to like? The only theoretical negative I can think of is when you're running on canted trail that's muddy or icy. Then the locker can cause that end of the vehicle to "walk" downhill more than it otherwise might. The solution there is a selectable locker, but I've never found myself in a situation where I wished I could turn a locker off.

I'm currently in an FJ Crusier with selectable locker. Previous rigs had lunchbox lockers. All were daily drivers as well as adventure rigs. All had automatic transmissions. I've had zero issues running on the street with a rear lockers. Part of this is because of transmission, part because of my grandpa driving style, but mostly because of how auto-lockers work. It is more invisible in a long wheelbase fullsize rig than in a Jeep, but you typically never know the locker is there unless you turn the wheel full lock and stomp the gas.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Normally I recommend a Detroit Locker for your trucks rear axle.

But you have a manual trans. Get an ARB. You'll only need to lock the rear. If you're rich, do the front as well.

OhioWrangler

I'm running the basic limited slip differentials in the front and rear of my dually. They work well for mild trails when loaded. If I did it again, I run air lockers front and rear. I also run Detroit lockers in my jeep, they have their quirks. With the air lockers you won't know they're there till you need them. Ron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94