Considering a Land Cruiser, have a few questions.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I just went through the same thing a few years ago and landed on the 100 series. All Land Cruisers are awesome, really. However, for family comfort, easy highway driving and comfort the 100 is an easy choice. If you are going to play on the rocks and need 37s the 80 is an easy choice. They are both VERY proven machines. Heck, I'd keep saving and look into a 200 at this point. :)

Upland80

Adventurer
the IFS is built sturdier and can sustain more wear with large rubber than the front axle of an 80, the live axle strength advantage is an old wives tale.

I have heard that Mac trucks, Dodge Power Wagons, F-350s, and Jeeps are all moving to the IFS platform because it's "built sturdier and can sustain more wear". Sad for all those SAS fabricators...gonna be out of work soon...
:rolleyes:

JLee

Adventurer
Having owned a nicely built 80, I would be looking at something with more power. Gears would've helped, but...so would more motor.

I have heard that Mac trucks, Dodge Power Wagons, F-350s, and Jeeps are all moving to the IFS platform because it's "built sturdier and can sustain more wear". Sad for all those SAS fabricators...gonna be out of work soon...
:rolleyes:

Just because people are doing SAS swaps doesn't mean they're better for general use. lol @ the Jeep comparison -- because the Dana 30 is sooooo awesome, amirite?

Upland80

Adventurer
Having owned a nicely built 80, I would be looking at something with more power. Gears would've helped, but...so would more motor.

Just because people are doing SAS swaps doesn't mean they're better for general use. lol @ the Jeep comparison -- because the Dana 30 is sooooo awesome, amirite?

Correct sir...IFS is better for general use. Solid axle is better for more extreme off road use...not even debatable really. A SAS 200 series would be the ticket for me. For the post I quoted saying the 100 can accept larger tires with LESS wear than a solid axle is crazy talk.

Last edited:

87Warrior

GP'er
At the end of 2015 I was doing a similar search for a Cruiser, 80 and 100. Truthfully, I wanted a locked 80 and looked at a few. Coming from a long line of Jeeps, the 80 felt amazing. Quiet, solid, comfortable. It handled a bit heavy and it didn't run down the highway any better my 6 cylinder Jeeps. Then I drove an 80 and 100 back to back. I was blown away with the 100 even though it had more miles than any of the 80's I drove. It was even quieter, more solid, more comfortable and did not handle as heavy. In my opinion the V8 is totally worth it, even if it's not a powerhouse. Although I lusted after an 80, I bought the 100. I've had it for a year now and have absolutely no regrets.

I had a budget of $12k for the Cruiser purchase. Picked up the first 100 I test drove for $6k @ 246k miles. It needed some TLC as any high mileage vehicle would need. Now at 273k miles it is ready for another year of traveling.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Having owned a 100 series with 35's and an 80 series with 35's I will take the 80 series road matters over the 100 series without question with large tires. The minute you go over 33's on a 100 you start giving up drive ability. Now torque steer and trying to get enough caster to drive nice down the road enters the picture.

Ii think this thread is going away from the OP needs when you consider his budget.

Upland80

Adventurer
Nor is it being done with a 12K budget

True true Phil...I need to stop now. I do love the comparo threads. The 100 is the best platform for the OP. Just can't get over how the benefit of a solid front axle is so easily dismissed by some. It isn't great on the highway, but in the back country...I personally will have nothing else.

JLee

Adventurer
True true Phil...I need to stop now. I do love the comparo threads. The 100 is the best platform for the OP. Just can't get over how the benefit of a solid front axle is so easily dismissed by some. It isn't great on the highway, but in the back country...I personally will have nothing else.

I don't think we're so much dismissing it as noting that it's not within the needs of the OP. The respective advantages of SFA/IFS depend dramatically on what you're doing in the back country; specifically, do you want to crawl over huge rocks or do you want to run washboard dirt roads at 60mph?

I went from a triple locked 80 on 35's to a GX470 on 32's. For my specific needs, it's a better vehicle. :)

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader

I do agree both have a place and I own both but for our OP the 99 Land Cruiser is a top choice given his needs and budget.............. IMO:wings:

Yes, Comparo threads for SAS and IFS are always entertaining.

Box Rocket

ive absolutely hammered the my 100, and its quite and rattle free. the engine never had an issue "cough.. head gasket... cough" the IFS is built sturdier and can sustain more wear with large rubber than the front axle of an 80, the live axle strength advantage is an old wives tale. the cabin materials are quite a bit nicer. the brakes are better, and the frame is much stouter and has more torsional rigidity. the dash doesnt show aging or button wear. if you compare 200000 mile well wheeled trucks, the 100 is way ahead. The 200 is another step, but its just too damn heavy and is past the point of diminishing returns, in my opinion.

A 461 G, or pre MBUSA is more ruggedly built than an 80 so an 80 doesnt get that title either. Its not a better wheeler than an 80, but it was designed 15 years earlier as military convoy rig and has inherent design limitations.

sure an 80 is great, but i'm not the "fanboy" type. I've been using a well modified 60 over my 100 or G, simply for weight advantage. It may not be as "sturdy" as the other two, or an 80 for that matter, but it shaves over 1000 pounds (500 less than an 80) on the same 35's traversing soft off camber, wet trails and its sturdy enough. the corners are easier to place and vision is just better.... and its more of a box.... i guess i am sort of a square fanboy.

So 80 owners are "fanboys"?? ;)

Box Rocket

As an 80 "fanboy" :) I agree with LandCruiserPhil, that based on the OPs description and not knowing him personally, I would think the 100 series is the right choice.
But a few more points to consider. Many have mentioned the 80's being "long in the tooth" and needing a higher level of upkeep and maintenance. A '99 100 series like has been suggested is only 2 years newer than the newest 80 so there won't be that much difference in the amount of maintenance and repair work needing to be done. Depending on the level of care the vehicle has had the 100 series could easily require more. For example steering racks are common to need replacement on the 100 series especially when larger tires are used. Racks aren't cheap. I guess my point is that I don't see the level of work needed being that different between the two.
The IFS in the 100 series is nice on the road and on the dirt roads, but many of the comments about the solid axle in an 80 make it sound like front end might as well be a road grater. It's NOT. The 80 is still incredibly comfortable IMO even in spite of the solid front axle. Put a quality suspension on an 80 and handling and feel in the dirt is fun and satisfying. I don't want to turn this into a suspension discussion but I will say that I have no doubt my 80 with the current suspension can keep up (just as comfortably) with 90% of the 100 series cruisers in the dirt. It has taken me 20 years of 80 ownership to realize just how "worth it" a really good suspension setup is. (BTW, my suspension is still all bolt on, not some crazy custom setup). Add to that the strength and durability of the solid axle and I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 80 series just because of the front axle.
All that said, the 100 series is still probably the best choice for the OP unless he's after more difficult offroading.

Box Rocket

Oh, I had a couple other things to mention regarding maintenance and repair work...
I've owned two different 80s. The first was a 1993. I bought it with 110K miles on it in 2000. I sold it in 2015 with 330K miles on it. During that 15 years of ownership it required very little extra maintenance beyond the routine stuff. Never had head gasket issues. Was incredibly reliable. Only "major" repair was the replacement of all rubber hoses that had begun to dry out. This 80 was a daily driver and had LOTS of hard offroad use too. Still running fine from the last I heard.
My current 80 is a 1995 I bought in 2015 with 185K miles on it. History was sketchy at best so I knew I'd probably have a few surprises. In the two years of owning it, is has been nearly as reliable as the last one in terms of getting me "out there" and back home again every time. However, I did have to replace the head gasket in this truck. Also had a fluke failure with the rear axle, evidently from improper maintenance/repair work at some point before I got it. It required replacing the entire rear axle housing and passenger side axle parts. Those two things have been the "major" repairs that have been needed, and I'll be honest, it's felt like a lot only because my last 80 was so worry free. But it still gets daily driven and gets LOTS of offroad miles. It has 50k miles on it in the two years I've owned it. Love it.
I guess my point here is maintenance practices of previous owners of used vehicles can play a HUGE part in how much you're getting into. So don't get caught up in getting a newer truck purely for the sake of it being a newer truck.

Dalko43

Explorer
Many have mentioned the 80's being "long in the tooth" and needing a higher level of upkeep and maintenance. A '99 100 series like has been suggested is only 2 years newer than the newest 80 so there won't be that much difference in the amount of maintenance and repair work needing to be done. Depending on the level of care the vehicle has had the 100 series could easily require more. For example steering racks are common to need replacement on the 100 series especially when larger tires are used. Racks aren't cheap. I guess my point is that I don't see the level of work needed being that different between the two.

I don't agree. As good as the 80 series is/was, we're talking about a platform that is 20-27 years old at this point. Never-minding the wear and abuse that these vehicles may have endured at the hands of some owners (I agree prior ownership can play a huge role in all of this), we're looking at wiring, engine and drivetrain components, interiors, ect. that are 20+ years old. That and the 100 series is inherently a more modern platform.

All other things being equal, or nearly so, (mileage, maintenance, storage, ect.) a 15 year old LC 100 should be easier to maintain that a 20+ year old LC 80. You take into account how it is exceedingly difficult to find an unmolested, low-mileage 80 series, especially for a reasonable price, and a decent 100 series, in comparison, is easier to find and work with.

As for the general discussion on SFA vs IFS, I think most acknowledge that a SFA will have an advantage when it comes to ease of modification/maintenance, weight-carrying capacity and offroad performance. That said, for general overlanding duties, a well-engineered IFS works very well and really won't inhibit your travel except for the most technical of jeep trails. Most of us have seen groups like Expedition Overland take their IFS Toyotas into extremely challenging terrain, and I've put my own IFS 4runner through its paces. I have a very strong faith in the IFS that Toyota has developed and put on most of their 4x4's. I've never been left stranded or not been able to complete a trip because of that design. I have a longterm aspirations of building up a project 3/4 ton pickup for hunting and exploring the remote parts of Canada; for that kind of application, a SFA will make sense. But for the 80% highway/20% dirt-road driving that I currently do (and I suspect most other forum members fall in that category) an IFS is a perfect fit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior