Considering a Land Cruiser, have a few questions.

Box Rocket

I don't agree. As good as the 80 series is/was, we're talking about a platform that is 20-27 years old at this point. Never-minding the wear and abuse that these vehicles may have endured at the hands of some owners (I agree prior ownership can play a huge role in all of this), we're looking at wiring, engine and drivetrain components, interiors, ect. that are 20+ years old. That and the 100 series is inherently a more modern platform.

All other things being equal, or nearly so, (mileage, maintenance, storage, ect.) a 15 year old LC 100 should be easier to maintain that a 20+ year old LC 80. You take into account how it is exceedingly difficult to find an unmolested, low-mileage 80 series, especially for a reasonable price, and a decent 100 series, in comparison, is easier to find and work with.

As for the general discussion on SFA vs IFS, I think most acknowledge that a SFA will have an advantage when it comes to ease of modification/maintenance, weight-carrying capacity and offroad performance. That said, for general overlanding duties, a well-engineered IFS works very well and really won't inhibit your travel except for the most technical of jeep trails. Most of us have seen groups like Expedition Overland take their IFS Toyotas into extremely challenging terrain, and I've put my own IFS 4runner through its paces. I have a very strong faith in the IFS that Toyota has developed and put on most of their 4x4's. I've never been left stranded or not been able to complete a trip because of that design. I have a longterm aspirations of building up a project 3/4 ton pickup for hunting and exploring the remote parts of Canada; for that kind of application, a SFA will make sense. But for the 80% highway/20% dirt-road driving that I currently do (and I suspect most other forum members fall in that category) an IFS is a perfect fit.

Well.......we're saying the same thing. Sure if you take a 2005 100 series and compare it to a 1993 80 series there are going to be longevity of parts differences. My point was referring to a comment about looking for a 1999 100 series which is only a 2 year difference from a 1997 80 series and while the technology in the 100 was improved it wasn't that big of a jump in those two years and the items that would be problematic in one are potentially problematic in the other. But a general blanket statement of a 100 series being "easier to maintain" than an 80 in all cases is a bit too much Kool-Aid. Besides while it might be a little easier to find lower mileage 100 series, they are also getting difficult to find and most have nearly equal mileage on them to most 80 series. I love my 80, but don't misunderstand me. I love the 100 series and I have had many many hours in them on a variety of terrain. They are great. Without question a more refined vehicle than the 80. Currently the bulk of my wheeling is spent with my brother in law in a 100 series and while he might not try some of the harder challenges I might tackle in my 80, the vehicle is great.

Again, while I'm defending the merits of the solid front axle in the 80, I also stated clearly that I thought the 100 series was the better choice for the OP. I don't have any problems with the IFS Toyotas. I've seen what kind of 'abuse' they can take. I've even put my own through it's fair share of abuse. My Tacoma didn't exactly lead an easy life and the IFS didn't hold it back much except in a few cases. The Tacoma has arguably been the most versatile vehicle I've ever owned. The IFS is not a problem. It's different with it's own pros and cons, but not a problem.

Dalko43

Explorer
But a general blanket statement of a 100 series being "easier to maintain" than an 80 in all cases is a bit too much Kool-Aid. Besides while it might be a little easier to find lower mileage 100 series, they are also getting difficult to find and most have nearly equal mileage on them to most 80 series.

I didn't say that a 100 would be easier to maintain "in all cases." I said all things being equal (mileage, wear/tear, maintenance, storage, ect.) a 100 should be easier to maintain than an 80 simply due to the age difference, as well as some of the engine issues inherent to the 80's 4.5L I6.

I'm not sure what you meant by the "coolaid" reference. Admittedly, I have a lot of respect for Toyota's SUV's and trucks that span several generations. If I had the time and garage space, I'd have an 80 series up on jackstands to swap in a 4.7L V8 or Cummins' new 2.8L I4. There might be newer LC's with more refinement and modern platforms, but the 80 series hits a certain nostalgic note that the newer ones don't; part of that I'm sure is it's old school SFA setup and optional lockers.

I'm just realistic about what happens to older vehicles, regardless of their badges. They're more prone to breaking down and having issues...that's just the nature of the beast.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Having owned a 100 series with 35's and an 80 series with 35's I will take the 80 series road matters over the 100 series without question with large tires. The minute you go over 33's on a 100 you start giving up drive ability. Now torque steer and trying to get enough caster to drive nice down the road enters the picture.

Ii think this thread is going away from the OP needs when you consider his budget.

What ding dong set your truck up? the worst comment i got was "holy ****, this drives like a Cadillac on road, and doesnt even ding a piont on a challenge trail". ... and i used CHEAP parts. no uca's, no special shocks. how do you **** up castor on 1.5 inches of lift on an irs? its all i dialed in for 35' mt baja claws and i had no rub, bub.

87Warrior

GP'er
dont know, but post 12 is fanboy!
Post 12 indicated the 80 and 100 share nearly the same rear end. This bothered me the first time I read it, but let it go...but now light has been cast on that post again. In what case is a narrower full floating rear end nearly the same as a wider semi floater? I'll tip my hat to the 80 here, I really would like a full floating rear end in my 100 for simplicity's sake. At 270k miles I need to replace a rear wheel bearing and am looking at a $100 bearing and some fancy press work to get that changed on my hundy.

Both rigs are awesome vehicles and would suit the OP just fine.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
What ding dong set your truck up? the worst comment i got was "holy ****, this drives like a Cadillac on road, and doesnt even ding a piont on a challenge trail". ... and i used CHEAP parts. no uca's, no special shocks. how do you **** up castor on 1.5 inches of lift on an irs? its all i dialed in for 35' mt baja claws and i had no rub, bub.

If you are running 35's on your 100 with no rub its because you are not wheeling. Pictured are 295's :coffee:

Attachments

• front stuff.JPG
    front stuff.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 19

Box Rocket

dont know, but post 12 is fanboy!
You're kidding me right? Go back and read post#14 and talk to me about "fanboy". And did you just say the 100 series has IRS??

Post 12 indicated the 80 and 100 share nearly the same rear end. This bothered me the first time I read it, but let it go...but now light has been cast on that post again. In what case is a narrower full floating rear end nearly the same as a wider semi floater? I'll tip my hat to the 80 here, I really would like a full floating rear end in my 100 for simplicity's sake. At 270k miles I need to replace a rear wheel bearing and am looking at a $100 bearing and some fancy press work to get that changed on my hundy.

I supposed I used the wrong wording by saying "rear end". I'm fully aware the axles are not the same. I was referring to rear suspension which is nearly identical and many parts interchangeable. But you do realize that some 80's also came with a semi-float rear end right?

Carry on. I'll go back to my fanboy-ness. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer

For sure. Digressing from the 100 vs.80 battle this thread has become, I shall mention that other less expensive to own and operate models would also suit him fine as a family adventure vehicle.

Such as, 4Runner, Xterra, and others.

altaboy

Observer
Have not read the entire thread & may have been mentioned....

Lexus versions of 100 series much more prevalent = less expensive = less "used" than the landcruiser.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Funny this thread turned into a disaster and missed the whole point of the OP.

I have two kids. We had a fantastic J80 long before they became fanboy status rigs. Very well built simple machine. Not exactly cheap to keep 100% but fun rig. We moved to a more modern rig for two main reasons. The 80 we had was still practically new at 150k. We needed a little more room, and we wanted more modern crash safety systems hauling kids and such. I wont lie, a modern V8 is a really really big improvement too.
I actually made a very serious offer on a 100 given it was clean and had dealer records but the dealer told me they dont negotiate their prices and showed me 4 listings by other dealer locations owned by the same Auto Group. I laughed and told the young sales manager he just lost a deal and many more at any of the store fronts owned by his Auto Group. I left. $26,000 for a 2004 Lexus 470 with 98,000. Lol like I said it was clean and I liked it. They wanted $34,000!!@ ha ha
Two days later I had a privately sold single owner 05 limited Sequoia with 62,000 miles on it for $21k. Guess who called the seller as we were doing the deal? Yup the toyota dealer they offered him $26k he laughed given I had just told him about them. He told the guy apparently you guys just lost two deals for being pricks. Ha ha!!

The sequoia lacks a locker but is pretty damn impressive off road even on stock sized rubber and stupid running boards. It makes a good 8 passenger girlscout and boyscout troop hauler too. Oh and the 8 parents dressed up for a big fund raiser event thought it was great too.

Check out the Sequoia its a nice rig and you gain about 2ft of floor space somehow. Good luck..
Buy from private party skip the ****'king used car inventory at dealers..

Upland80

Adventurer
Funny this thread turned into a disaster and missed the whole point of the OP.

I have two kids. We had a fantastic J80 long before they became fanboy status rigs. Very well built simple machine. Not exactly cheap to keep 100% but fun rig. We moved to a more modern rig for two main reasons. The 80 we had was still practically new at 150k. We needed a little more room, and we wanted more modern crash safety systems hauling kids and such. I wont lie, a modern V8 is a really really big improvement too.
I actually made a very serious offer on a 100 given it was clean and had dealer records but the dealer told me they dont negotiate their prices and showed me 4 listings by other dealer locations owned by the same Auto Group. I laughed and told the young sales manager he just lost a deal and many more at any of the store fronts owned by his Auto Group. I left. $26,000 for a 2004 Lexus 470 with 98,000. Lol like I said it was clean and I liked it. They wanted $34,000!!@ ha ha
Two days later I had a privately sold single owner 05 limited Sequoia with 62,000 miles on it for $21k. Guess who called the seller as we were doing the deal? Yup the toyota dealer they offered him $26k he laughed given I had just told him about them. He told the guy apparently you guys just lost two deals for being pricks. Ha ha!!

The sequoia lacks a locker but is pretty damn impressive off road even on stock sized rubber and stupid running boards. It makes a good 8 passenger girlscout and boyscout troop hauler too. Oh and the 8 parents dressed up for a big fund raiser event thought it was great too.

Check out the Sequoia its a nice rig and you gain about 2ft of floor space somehow. Good luck..
Buy from private party skip the ****'king used car inventory at dealers..

How did it turn into a disaster? OP is looking for a secondary adventure rig..."Not a DD more like a vacation/weekend rig. I've always liked the Land Cruisers". Strong supporters of 80s and 100s chiming in on their respective rig's merits. And what the hell is a "fan boy" anyway? Derailing a what is mostly good natured bantering (which always takes place in camparo threads) with a Sequoia shout-out because you couldn't land the 100 seems to me the definition of fanboy.

Upland80

Adventurer
I think Phil and Box Rocket have made some very valid points throughout given their seat time in both rigs. I have only limited wheeling experience in the 100, and for me it's not what I'm looking for. If I wanted an IFS though, I'd be looking at a 200 or very low mileage/cared for 100....I am a supporter of Land Cruisers in any series for sure!

windtraveler

Observer
Just this past December I was looking for a 4 runner or Tacoma when I ran across a cherry 1999 LC. One owner, stock, babied pavement princess with less than 100K miles. I paid $15K which was less than any 4runner or Tacoma in comparable condition with similar mileage I could find. I just never assumed I could afford an LC so I never looked. The biggest mistake I made was waiting so long to buy one. Best vehicle I have ever driven in my 40+ years of driving! I wasn't looking for it but ours has the 3rd row seating which could be a blessing for a family. Don't settle for a 4runner or Sequoia, they don't even compare. I don't have any experience to compare the 80 to the 100 or any other LC, all I can say is I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the LC I bought! I'm sure you will too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94