Considering a Land Cruiser, have a few questions.

Dalko43

Explorer
Offroad race trucks don't use solid axles anymore. The merits of the solid axle show the most for rock crawling and very rugged low range type terrain.

Yeah, but who has the same vehicle requirements, and budget, as an offroad racing team? Those racing trucks get abused to the point where they are frequently rebuilt and repaired. With that kind of operational tempo, and given the fact that these are events for time, not for long-term durability, the teams are going to use the setup's that work for their given purpose. That doesn't mean every truck owner or car-buyer wants or even needs the same kind of setup. Endurance racing and F1 cars use extremely capable, fast-shifting sequential gear boxes that work very well for heavy track use. Does that mean those transmission are better than auto or manual transmissions for use in street-going cars? No because the the race transmissions shift like crap at normal speeds and most of them cost more than the average passenger car.

Races like KOH are their own events, and while they do showcase some interesting trends and technologies, they're by no means an indicator of what the average 4x4 owner wants or needs for his recreational activities. And that's not a rant against IFS in favor of SFA, because I think a well-sorted IFS is a beautiful thing.

I just want to thank everyone for the information it was a lot to take in and I'll probably have to go back and read it again. Work has been crazy which is good means more money.

No that I have cash in and I've started looking more heavily. 80s seems to be not near as common as the 100s, given the age it's makes sense. I've opened up my search to the GX470s and have found several and the prices seems to be cheaper than the 100s and 4runners I've found with less milage I might add.

I'm currently hoping to go see a 2005 GX470 this weekend. Asking $9,995 (hoping for better since paying cash). 149k miles, according to car fax looks likes it received regular dealer service. Although I don't see anything about the timing belt. Given the fact it looks like it's always been dealer service, would I be able to call a dealer with the vin and find out? If it's not been replaced what might be a reasonable offer? I was going to suggest $9k cash out the door.

Only planed modifications would be slightly larger(32-33) tires, front and rear bumper with winch and some lighting. But this won't be done for a year maybe longer.

I'm thinking the GX470 might be my best option. Price is about right, I'm guessing it'll have LC type longevity if properly maintained. Will tow the boat. Plenty of space. Not to mention I've seen a lot more of these than anything else.

Thanks again for all the information it is greatly appreciated.

JLee

Adventurer
I just want to thank everyone for the information it was a lot to take in and I'll probably have to go back and read it again. Work has been crazy which is good means more money.

No that I have cash in and I've started looking more heavily. 80s seems to be not near as common as the 100s, given the age it's makes sense. I've opened up my search to the GX470s and have found several and the prices seems to be cheaper than the 100s and 4runners I've found with less milage I might add.

I'm currently hoping to go see a 2005 GX470 this weekend. Asking $9,995 (hoping for better since paying cash). 149k miles, according to car fax looks likes it received regular dealer service. Although I don't see anything about the timing belt. Given the fact it looks like it's always been dealer service, would I be able to call a dealer with the vin and find out? If it's not been replaced what might be a reasonable offer? I was going to suggest $9k cash out the door.

Only planed modifications would be slightly larger(32-33) tires, front and rear bumper with winch and some lighting. But this won't be done for a year maybe longer.

I'm thinking the GX470 might be my best option. Price is about right, I'm guessing it'll have LC type longevity if properly maintained. Will tow the boat. Plenty of space. Not to mention I've seen a lot more of these than anything else.

Thanks again for all the information it is greatly appreciated.

GX's are the growing bargain find of the Toyota offroad world. Tons of them are pampered and have never gone offroad. Take a look at the GX FAQ over on mud and come join us over here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LexusGXOR/

You can register with Lexus Drivers online, plug in any Lexus VIN, and view dealer-reported service history for free. :)

Assuming it's in good shape, 9-10k sounds like a solid deal. I paid $8150 for my 05 w/KDSS and 179k (with some body damage) last October.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles