Considering a Land Cruiser, have a few questions.

My family of four and I are in the market for another vehicle. Not a DD more like a vacation/weekend rig. I've always liked the Land Cruisers and now I might have enough saved for one. I have already started looking and am hoping to purchase something in the $8-$12k range, obviously cheaper is better and allows for faster upgrades. But first I have a few questions. If it matters my other option is a 4th gen(2008) 4Runner or even a Sequoia.

Are most parts interchangeable between the Toyota and Lexus versions? (lift kits, bumpers, etc.) I seem to see a lot more LCX470s than LCs. If not are Lexus parts as available as the Toyota parts. Not looking for anything fancy just a basic lift (thinking 33" tires) and front and rear bumpers. The rest of the stuff I'd like do is just generic fit(fridge, drawers, lights, etc)

Most are higher mileage, that being said a motor replacement practical once it blows or would a vehicle replacement be a better option? My guess this will be determined by the amount of work I've completed(lift, bumper, etc) on the vehicle when the motor goes.

I prefer the 80 series but, would a 4.7 v8 upgrade be an options once the 6 cylinder goes?

I sure I'll think of more, but I'll continue reading posts and googling. More or less just looking for opinions on these from everyones past experiences. Thanks in advance for your time it is appreciated.

Upland80

Adventurer
My family of four and I are in the market for another vehicle. Not a DD more like a vacation/weekend rig. I've always liked the Land Cruisers and now I might have enough saved for one. I have already started looking and am hoping to purchase something in the $8-$12k range, obviously cheaper is better and allows for faster upgrades. But first I have a few questions. If it matters my other option is a 4th gen(2008) 4Runner or even a Sequoia.

Are most parts interchangeable between the Toyota and Lexus versions? (lift kits, bumpers, etc.) I seem to see a lot more LCX470s than LCs. If not are Lexus parts as available as the Toyota parts. Not looking for anything fancy just a basic lift (thinking 33" tires) and front and rear bumpers. The rest of the stuff I'd like do is just generic fit(fridge, drawers, lights, etc)

Most are higher mileage, that being said a motor replacement practical once it blows or would a vehicle replacement be a better option? My guess this will be determined by the amount of work I've completed(lift, bumper, etc) on the vehicle when the motor goes.

I prefer the 80 series but, would a 4.7 v8 upgrade be an options once the 6 cylinder goes?

Not really sure what you're asking or looking for. 80 series and its Lexus counterpart is a LX450. A 4.7 swap has been done on a few rigs...nice if you've got 30K to spend.

Box Rocket

Here's what you got....
1993-1997 FZJ80 and LX450 are nearly identical and most parts are all interchangeable, with the exception of some trim and body stuff. These have the inline 6cyl. Factory lockers were optional.

1998-2007 UZJ100 and LX470 are also similar but some more noteable differences. These have the 4.7L V8 and IFS suspension. Hood and grill is one piece on the LX (not a big deal but some consider that in regards to aftermarket bumpers). LX has AHC (auto height control) suspension. This can be used as a cheap lift (once you add more weight, it doesn't like to stay in the high setting). Ideally you rip out the AHC and replace it with typical aftermarket suspension. Same suspension options for the Cruiser and the LX (if you remove the AHC).

High miles is relative. Not uncommon to see well beyond 300K miles on the cruisers (I6 or V8 alike). How it's been maintained will be the bigger factor in long term reliability. Yes, the later V8 can be swapped into the earlier 80 series but it's not the simplest of swap. Doable though.

Personally I'm a big fan of the 80 series, but the 100 series models are more refined and will handle towing duties a bit better.

zimm

Expedition Leader
if youre saving money to buy, get engine swaps of any kind out your head. you need to focus on finding a solid rig.

you're going to find a built'ish 80 for less than a built'ish 100, but either way you will spend plenty less in the long run if you purchase a built rig.

Arktikos

Explorer
For a family vacation/weekend rig, of those two options I would look for the nicest 100 series available and, other than removing the running boards, wouldn't modify it in the least.

Box Rocket

if youre saving money to buy, get engine swaps of any kind out your head. you need to focus on finding a solid rig.

you're going to find a built'ish 80 for less than a built'ish 100, but either way you will spend plenty less in the long run if you purchase a built rig.
Not necessarily true. The 80 series is getting a boost in popularity in the market recently and prices are going up.

JohnnyS

Explorer
For a family vacation/weekend rig, of those two options I would look for the nicest 100 series available and, other than removing the running boards, wouldn't modify it in the least.

Good advice. Start with the nicest one you can afford and take your time setting it up.

My preference is 03+ 100 Series/LX470 as it has a 5 speed transmission, however it would likely require a few thousand more up front.

You can normally find better deals on the Lexus as it has a negative stigma for some, finding a clean one with just over 100K isn't difficult.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
How much do you plan on modifying any of these vehicle? Slightly bigger tires or are we talking huge lifts and 35" tires? This will really change the responses.

The 80 series is a great vehicle, but unless you need the (very small amount of) added capability of the 80 series, I would definitely look to a 100 series for the added power and refinement and only marginally less capability. I had a mildly modified 80 series and loved it and miss it. But I got rid of it because I never came close to using all of its capabilities. So I looked for a 100 series. Not finding a 100 series to my liking, I settled on a GX470 (essentially a Lexus 4 Gen 4Runner). In short, I wish I would have continued to look for a 100 series. As others have said, don't let miles scare you from a well maintained 80 or 100 series. I wouldn't bat an eye at buying a nice 180K Land Cruiser, feeling comfortable I would get another 100K+ out of it. Do note: The 4.7L V8 has a timing belt that needs to be replaced every 90K miles. If you buy one that that has a timing belt change coming due, it runs about $800-1200 to have a shop do it. Probably about $3-400 and a day to do it yourself.

If you are going to settle for something less than a 100 series, I don't think either a 4Runner or Sequoia are bad choices. A while back I was looking to get rid of my GX and was looking again at 100 series. However, I also looked at Sequoias as well. Sequoias aren't near as overbuilt as Land Cruisers, but I was really impressed with them. If you need something larger than a 4Runner, but cheaper than a 100 series, the Sequoia is a great option. On sheer size alone, and other factors, it is going to be a notch down on capability to the Land Cruisers. But this is where you need to ask yourself how much capability you need. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the vehicles you listed, however.

80 prices have been all over the freakin place lately. Before I convince my brother to let me get his 80 from him I was lookin for a 100. I noticed that alot of the LXs could be had pretty cheap. Maybe the AHC was starting to act up or something who knows. It is supposed to be a tad spendy $$ to fix. I always thought maybe I could get one with AHC issues and just remove it all and lift it.

My thoughts were
80 is older and oem dealer parts are being phased out slowly. Not as Fat as a 100, but anemic in power compared to the v8. Both motors are reliable though. Lots of aftermarket stuff.

The 100 series cost more but could be only about 10 years old if you got the later models. BUT the later models have all the nice luxuries that may start giving headaches to owners like the NAV/HVAC/Stereo combo. Interior layout is similar in both and aftermarket is picking up for the 100 series now that they are in the price range of soo many more people as a trail rig.

If I would not have gotten my brother's 80 especially at the price I got it, I would have definately gone for a 100.

zimm

Expedition Leader
100s are bomb proof and big leap in build quality to an 80. To remove the ahc, you just buy a 100 lift kit. All the hard points are same.

The ride is much nicer in a 100 ahc and standard. Unless you're going to build a rig capable of some super serious wheeling, the ifs is better than the solid axle.

I have a built lx470 on 35's, a 60 lifted 4 on 35's and a toy box, a lifted G, and a 40 lifted 3 right now. On the highway the 100 comfort cannot be matched, off road it will go where the others go, and is much safer for passengers in a wreck. The bast family hauler/ camper is the 100.

Upland80

Adventurer
100s are bomb proof and big leap in build quality to an 80. To remove the ahc, you just buy a 100 lift kit. All the hard points are same.

The ride is much nicer in a 100 ahc and standard. Unless you're going to build a rig capable of some super serious wheeling, the ifs is better than the solid axle.

I have a built lx470 on 35's, a 60 lifted 4 on 35's and a toy box, a lifted G, and a 40 lifted 3 right now. On the highway the 100 comfort cannot be matched, off road it will go where the others go, and is much safer for passengers in a wreck. The bast family hauler/ camper is the 100.

The 100 is a "big leap in quality to an 80"? I would say the 100 is a big leap in technology...not quality. The 80 series is the most ruggedly built vehicle of its time. The quality of my 80 far surpasses the 3 other vehicles in my driveway that are 20 years newer. For someone looking to add a Land Cruiser as a second or 3rd vehicle for off road adventure and can afford to replace the 20+ year old hoses/belts/etc. and keep up on preventative maintenance, I would highly recommend an 80. If you don't have the downtime to keep up on it or are looking for a DD, then newest is better.

Box Rocket

I love the 100 series but no way I'd say they are a big leap in build quality. My 22 yr old 80 series is still tight. Build quality is excellent and I dare say that the 80 is more durable than a 100 series. Nearly identical rear ends, but if we're just talking strength and durability the front solid axle in the 80 series will outlast the IFS in the 100 series. How often do you hear of 80 series front diffs blowing up? Not often. What about 100 series front diffs? Pretty common.
I will agree that in terms of comfort the 100 series wins, if that's what you're talking about with build quality, then maybe I can get on board. Definitely a step up in terms of driveability and ride comfort with the V8 and IFS in the 100 series but an 80 not that far behind IMO, and like I said at least as good if not better on the durability scale.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Given your post needs I would take my time a look for the right 1999 Land Cruiser. It can work within your budget and its a great base for a family of 4 to grow with. The 100 series is very inexpensive to lift and run 33's. Because all 99 LC have rear locker you have the capabilities of going most place you would consider taking your family. Factor in V8 power and rear AC and you are going 75 mph up any hill pulling any time of the year in cool comfort.

I currently own both a 80 and LX470

zimm

Expedition Leader
ive absolutely hammered the my 100, and its quite and rattle free. the engine never had an issue "cough.. head gasket... cough" the IFS is built sturdier and can sustain more wear with large rubber than the front axle of an 80, the live axle strength advantage is an old wives tale. the cabin materials are quite a bit nicer. the brakes are better, and the frame is much stouter and has more torsional rigidity. the dash doesnt show aging or button wear. if you compare 200000 mile well wheeled trucks, the 100 is way ahead. The 200 is another step, but its just too damn heavy and is past the point of diminishing returns, in my opinion.

A 461 G, or pre MBUSA is more ruggedly built than an 80 so an 80 doesnt get that title either. Its not a better wheeler than an 80, but it was designed 15 years earlier as military convoy rig and has inherent design limitations.

sure an 80 is great, but i'm not the "fanboy" type. I've been using a well modified 60 over my 100 or G, simply for weight advantage. It may not be as "sturdy" as the other two, or an 80 for that matter, but it shaves over 1000 pounds (500 less than an 80) on the same 35's traversing soft off camber, wet trails and its sturdy enough. the corners are easier to place and vision is just better.... and its more of a box.... i guess i am sort of a square fanboy.

Dalko43

Explorer
The 80 series are getting long in the tooth. As good and solid a platform as it was when it came, and still is, it will have more issues pop up due to its inherent age and wear.

Some owners may not like to hear that, but it is what it is...older cars have more problems, generally speaking. The 80 series' engine had head gasket issues, as someone else hinted at. People who own them now and have taken them into 250k-300k mile territory may have had relatively painless ownership; the people who own them for the next 100k-200k will have a bit more work to keep them road-worthy.

I think if you're looking for a project vehicle, and you're not afraid to spend money or get your hands dirty working on it, the 80 series is awesome platform to serve as a project vehicle (I think putting a 4.7L v8 or Cummins 2.8 would be a great fit, though a lot of work). If you want something that you can buy 2nd hand and drive with less effort or money being spent for maintenance, get the 100 series. The IFS really isn't a limitation except for the most technical of wheeling, and will certainly make you feel more comfortable during long highway trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior