Considering a Land Cruiser, have a few questions.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
How did it turn into a disaster? OP is looking for a secondary adventure rig..."Not a DD more like a vacation/weekend rig. I've always liked the Land Cruisers". Strong supporters of 80s and 100s chiming in on their respective rig's merits. And what the hell is a "fan boy" anyway? Derailing a what is mostly good natured bantering (which always takes place in camparo threads) with a Sequoia shout-out because you couldn't land the 100 seems to me the definition of fanboy.

If I wanted a LC I'd have one. The OP did ask about an 80/ 100 and Sequoia. I like all three. Oh and mine was a 3rd vehicle. The sequoia is actually a 4th vehicle today. Only one or two people lightly touched on ride quality. When you have three vehicles to chose from and long pavent miles planned, ride quality counts. Power plant counts. Which case the 100 and Sequoia both are superior rigs to the 80 especially if your opting for one of your other vehicles for the long highway miles.

Box Rocket

I don't think it's turned into a disaster either. It hasn't even turned into a "which model is better" thread. Just discussing actual pros and cons of both. There are a few participating that have quite a bit of time in both and have valid view points. And, just to be clear for those that think all I'm doing is saying an 80 is better because I happen to drive one....go back and read my posts. In nearly every one I've said the 100 series is the better option. It's kinda like arguing with women that still want to argue even after you've agreed to what they want.
From my end of things, it's nothing but friendly banter.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I'm not trying to stir the pot here but why does everyone say that IFS is better over the road? I've got a 1st gen Tacoma, an 80 series Land Cruiser and an old Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Over the road, I can't tell the difference in handling or steering feel. (Other than the fact that my Tacoma has no sway bars and leans a liiiitle bit more)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm not trying to stir the pot here but why does everyone say that IFS is better over the road?

Short answer? Because it is. Assuming you want a "car like" ride. Which is what people refer to as being "better" on road. My '99 ifs 100 series is nicer to drive on pavement than my 2014 solid front axle truck. Offroad race trucks don't use solid axles anymore. The merits of the solid axle show the most for rock crawling and very rugged low range type terrain.

Box Rocket

Short answer? Because it is. Assuming you want a "car like" ride. Which is what people refer to as being "better" on road. My '99 ifs 100 series is nicer to drive on pavement than my 2014 solid front axle truck. Offroad race trucks don't use solid axles anymore. The merits of the solid axle show the most for rock crawling and very rugged low range type terrain.
That's because your solid axle truck is a Dodge. :D joking......sort of.
I won't really argue that IFS is a more car like feel on the road. That's true but I also agree with Lumpskie, on pavement there really isn't that noticeable a difference in ride or handling between in the 100 and the 80 IMO. I don't notice much difference at all on pavement between the ride/handling of my 80 and my brother in laws 100 series. I didn't notice much difference with my IFS Tacoma either. So I think the idea of the IFS being better is actually more true when you get off pavement, particularly with "overland" style travel over corrugated or bumpy dirt roads. That's the reason offroad race vehicles typically have IFS. In most cases I would choose an IFS vehicle for rough roads that I wanted to travel at decent speeds. I believe they are definitely better there. On the flip side, a solid axle rig can be set up to handle those same conditions very well, but an IFS rig will still be superior in how it handles the variation in road surface and maintaining a smooth ride. Those benefits are there on the road too, but most people won't even notice. We're not talking about a sports car.
All I'm saying is that I can see where Lumpskie is coming from since "on the road" is probably where the benefits of IFS are least apparent.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I have heard that Mac trucks, Dodge Power Wagons, F-350s, and Jeeps are all moving to the IFS platform because it's "built sturdier and can sustain more wear". Sad for all those SAS fabricators...gonna be out of work soon...
:rolleyes:

you confuse manufacturing process and expense with durability. sas conversions allow for articulation i discussed earlier.

but youre right, and OshKosh tak 4 suspention is no match for an 80 reverse Solid axle. ****** were they thinking????

zimm

Expedition Leader
For the post I quoted saying the 100 can accept larger tires with LESS wear than a solid axle is crazy talk.

no it is not. you will rebuild the front of an 80 on 35's before a 100, simply because axle configuration has nothing to do with it. engineering does.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Having owned a 100 series with 35's and an 80 series with 35's I will take the 80 series road matters over the 100 series without question with large tires. The minute you go over 33's on a 100 you start giving up drive ability. Now torque steer and trying to get enough caster to drive nice down the road enters the picture.

Ii think this thread is going away from the OP needs when you consider his budget.

torque steer??? i never had an issue with anything, and the bigger the tire the more the ifs shines on washboard, or asphalt jungle potholes. its no comparison. how bad did you set that up?

zimm

Expedition Leader
True true Phil...I need to stop now. I do love the comparo threads. The 100 is the best platform for the OP. Just can't get over how the benefit of a solid front axle is so easily dismissed by some. It isn't great on the highway, but in the back country...I personally will have nothing else.

note the second sentence in post #10, fanboy.

i ran scca, and like i said then, a well sorted geometry on a sra mustang will kill a stock ira corvette... but that was on the ideal surface, and not against the best sorting of an ira vette.

and the durability of either system had nothing to do with the system, but how well it was engineered.

zimm

Expedition Leader
If you are running 35's on your 100 with no rub its because you are not wheeling. Pictured are 295's :coffee:

that was dumb statement. i wheeled it to retirement.

last iteration was mt baja ttc, iroman heavy front bars, dialed down to 1.5 inches, Bior drop kit, ome heavy rear with 1" spacers for the bump stops, metaltec LCA's, no sway bars.

set up so the rear did most of the articulation. uca's woulda been 1" more droop... who cares, let the rear do the work.

an ifs set up to do it, does it differently than two solid axles. you cant run cross axle thru a ravine. but, it does it.

the lexus and G are parked and i'm back to a 60. i wanted the weight savings + the float on the 35's for NE woods this year.

zimm

Expedition Leader
You're kidding me right? Go back and read post#14 and talk to me about "fanboy". And did you just say the 100 series has IRS??

sorry. fanchild.

how many marks have you run?

if i typed irs i intended ifs. my most sincerest apologies.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I'm not trying to stir the pot here but why does everyone say that IFS is better over the road? I've got a 1st gen Tacoma, an 80 series Land Cruiser and an old Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Over the road, I can't tell the difference in handling or steering feel. (Other than the fact that my Tacoma has no sway bars and leans a liiiitle bit more)

you dont do miles of washboard. sfa trucks can shake themselves appart in central america or australia. well... sfa defenders.

it also depends on the speed you are going. you get into the Andes racing from town to town, and its a ***** keeping a 4 door nissan patrol close to a nissan ifs pickup. you hit washboard around hairpin turns at 13000 feet and youre hoping the hopping drift to the outside stops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior