Questions about conduit roof racks

JCM

For what I want these seem to be the way for me to go but I have a few questions. First how have they held up? How did you get the paint to stick to the galvanized conduit? please let me know!

Coilrod

During the construction of various buildings, I have had to paint galvanised conduit. It must be cleaned well to remove machine oil and the thin layer of oxidation. I used a citrus one, and washed it well. When dry, primed with acrylic latex primer and same top coat. Good quality acrylic wears well and you can color match it if you want.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Standard/old school technique for painting galvanized is to pickle it with white vinegar after it is clean. The vinegar will etch it slightly and give the primer some tooth. In California, we used to be able to buy commercial galvanized vinyl primers that were self etching, but those seem to have been banned here by the enviro-nazis. Can probably still get that stuff in Michigan. Vinegar works fine, but takes some time.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I used galvy conduit for the crossbars on my rack. I degreased them and then sprayed them with self-etching primer followed by Rustoleum. The finish has held up beautifully.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
For what I want these seem to be the way for me to go but I have a few questions. First how have they held up? How did you get the paint to stick to the galvanized conduit? please let me know!

Its a lot like a pvc pipe snorkel, it'll work but......

HotNotch

Had mine powdercoated. After having it done, I wouldn't go back to paint. Even with primer mine always seemed to chip, and it was rusting after one midwest winter

HotNotch

Honestly, I don't have an exact quote. My cousin owns a powder shop and I went down there for spring break and worked and traded labor out for getting a truck load of stuff powdered. That being said, if you pick a common color that he can do in a batch with some other stuff, the price should be cheaper. I went with a hammertone 70% gloss black, which was common for him to do stuff in.

Here is a similar rack as far as pricing goes. Like I said, I swapped the labor out with him.
https://www.powder365.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6784

However, once you go powdercoat, its tough to want to go back to paint.

JCM

Thanks! If i can get those prices around me that will be pretty good!! that's pretty close to what the paint would cost alone!

HotNotch

No problem. I know a buddy of mine had a complete dirt bike frame powdered in gloss black (common color, easy to do in batches) and it was 75$. There are good deals out there if you're willing to shop around.

JCM

Hunting the good deals is something I enjoy doing, that and finding ways to do things myself. I want a rack like a Gobi but I don't want to shell out 1600.00 for one. I would rather spend that kind of money on an E-Locker!! lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles