Transmission Maintenance

johnnydal

Hello again

It's maintenance time on ol' Mr. Rover. I have some things I need to catch up on so I went on a shopping spree at Atlantic British. I feel super comfortable with everything BUT the transmission. Have any of you tackled that before? The draining and new pan/filter? have any of you gotten the after market 2 piece filter and will that make things way easier? Any downsides? I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. Worst case scenario I have a great independent rover shop nearby. If it is something I shouldn't stress too much about than I'd like to do it myself.

All thoughts welcome. Thanks.

iowalr4

Adventurer
What vehicle do you have?

AB just started carrying the metal pan for the lr3/4 with the separate filter. Much easier for a DIY mechanic to swap that out.

johnnydal

Yes. I have an 07 lr3. I guess i didn't mention that in the post. Even with that metal pan it still seems like I have an opportunity to screw up a very vital part of my vehicle. I guess I'm trying to gauge if this is maintenance I should attempt myself and if there are drawbacks to the metal pan with the separate filter.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
If you do the metal pan, make sure you install it tight, no leaks, good gasket etc. And get a new mechatronics sleeve while you have the area open to replace the one in the trans, they tend to leak after a while.

The biggest thing I hear is to make sure you fill it up to level while the vehicle is ON and IDLING. If you try and do it like a diff it will be very low on fluid.

correct me if I'm wrong.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
johnnydal,

I have been reading of people here in the states using the two piece metal pan and filter on their LR3's for the last 3 years and nobody has had any issues. As you have already seen, Atlantic British is now carrying a kit or two so you don't need to source the pan/filter anymore. One stop shopping. They've even made a nice How To video that explains every step of the way. If you're comfortable with the oil changes in general then this shouldn't be a problem at all, it's all explained in the video. My next transmission oil change will be converting to the two piece metal pan and filter as I estimate it will save about $300 in labor at the shop (I don't like dealing with liquids myself as I'm an apartment dweller and don't need the hassle of disposal).

So, go for it! Many other people have.

vitola231

Observer
I did mine on the L322, its much simpler though. I changed the mechatronic seal and the five seals (bridge seals) on the valve body while in there, seemed like a good idea to me. I need to do my wife's LR3 which looks really tough but I hear if you use the metal pan and separate filter you don't need to remove exhaust and frame member but cut the neck off the plastic pan while removing. Thats worth it if true! Also on her LR3 I just replaced the shifter linkage arm and bushing, may want to at least take it apart and lubricate, guess its a well known problem. Refilling is a little odd but I can do my trans fluid faster than my motor oil. I built ramps out of 2x12's to give me three more inches of hight plus put vehicle in off road hight, seems high enough for the job. If you ignore the frame and exhaust in the way on LR3 I can say it took me an hour and a half the first time while on my back on my L322 to do filter, mechatronic seal, drop valve body and replace all those seals and refill. spent more time worrying about the job than doing it.:ylsmoke:

rlynch356

Defyota
for home use or to avoid all the break down work you have to do with the stock pan get the 2 piece kit (pan and filter) for the transmission. It is critical you properly torque it tough to keep it from leaking since the gasket changes from a grooved type to a flat type. also a little teflon tape never hurt either. The OEM design is pretty dumb, you have to disassemble a lot to get it out and the metal pan and separate filter is a factory ZF part anyway.

Torque it to specifications! That's all I will say! Unless you are savvy with helicoil installations while upside down under your rig! hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles