Heart of Adventure: Wandering in a Jeep

venture4wd

Supporting Sponsor
Sorry for the delay on this one. After Overland Expo, I drove down to Big Bend National Park, and while I was able to find plenty of wifi hotspots in Terlingua, TX, they weren't very fast. It was 8 hours to upload. :/

msurf

Christopher,
Thanks for the adventure...I know how much work it is filming and editing on YouTube. Looking forward to your next one. Any plans for Padre Island?
Mahalos!

venture4wd

Supporting Sponsor
Christopher,
Thanks for the adventure...I know how much work it is filming and editing on YouTube. Looking forward to your next one. Any plans for Padre Island?
Mahalos!

You're quite welcome! Man, Padre Island is a good idea. I'm going to start heading northwest, but I'm going to keep Padre Island in mind. Maybe swing back later.

Mahalos!

venture4wd

Supporting Sponsor
Last week I couldn't find fast enough Internet. This week it took a little over 15 minutes to upload! Tumbleweed Laundry in Marfa, TX, has awesome Internet access!

tchorst

Hi Chris. Looks like you're having a great time. Question if I may; Are you using Gaia for mapping? Online or offline?

venture4wd

Supporting Sponsor
Hi Chris. Looks like you're having a great time. Question if I may; Are you using Gaia for mapping? Online or offline?

I am using GaiaGPS for iOS for mapping and remote navigation, offline, with the exception of downloading chunks of base maps for areas that I intend to explore. GaiaGPS just launch a completely overhauled version of their iOS app, which I've installed, but I haven't really played with yet. Although I'm a big fan of the software.

I do not utilize Gaia's cloud service for anything aside from the occasional sync.

rubicon91

Explorer
Great job Chris. I liked the new video. I say continue to video like this week. Sucks that you had to back track. That looked like you should have been able to continue but like you said error on side of caution. Have a great week ahead and I look forward to where you decide to go next. Safe travels!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Island Boy

Great stuff! I'm following along, as I build my '16 JKU into a part DD/part Overlanding vehicle. Do you have a build thread somewhere on the Rubicon? I'd be interested to read how you outfitted the jeep, and what equipment is working for you (for example, the popup shower). Thanks!

Btw, I busted out laughing at the quicksand, and when you got stuck in the mud and had to dig out. That was pretty awesome! My brother and I are planning a trip to Big Bend, if I do it next year, I'll drive from Alabama to Texas, to New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, and maybe even Utah.

Gotta keep working on the Jeep, though!

venture4wd

Supporting Sponsor
Great stuff! I'm following along, as I build my '16 JKU into a part DD/part Overlanding vehicle. Do you have a build thread somewhere on the Rubicon? I'd be interested to read how you outfitted the jeep, and what equipment is working for you (for example, the popup shower).

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

I do not have a build thread. However, I'd be happy to provide whatever info or insight that I can right here in this thread. :)

There really isn't much to the Jeep. The Ursa Minor J30 camper is the single most significant modification. Aside from that:

- Genesis Dual Battery Kit
- AEV 3.5" Suspension w/ Bilstein 5100
- 1.25" Teraflex Wheel Spacers
- 1" Teraflex Rear Coil Spacer
- BFG ATKO2 315/70R17C
- Kargomaster Safari Hinge Steps and Front Hoop

As much as I'd love more modifications and equipment, I'm very happy with it as its currently configured. Since the interior is used more as living space than most JKUR overlanding configurations, I keep things modular and airy as possible, utilizing closet shelves from Target, and a nice throw rug from Pier1. Two moderately sized Rubbermaid bins form a wall and nicely store my dry foods and camping supplies.

I purchased a Kelty Blockhouse shower shelter primarily because of its functional ergonomics. The removable floor was the biggest selling point over the Nemo, which I also strongly considered. I like it a lot. It's well-designed and gets the job done. I took a shower in there during a hail storm once, and everything was just fine. :)

Btw, I busted out laughing at the quicksand, and when you got stuck in the mud and had to dig out. That was pretty awesome! My brother and I are planning a trip to Big Bend, if I do it next year, I'll drive from Alabama to Texas, to New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, and maybe even Utah.

Yeah, man! I jumped down onto what I thought was a solid little sandbar. Imagine my surprise when I sunk down to my knees! Thanks goodness I stopped there. I'm not sure quicksand actually kills people, except as I was growing up, it happened all the time on my mom's soap opera, Days of our Lives.

Have fun on your adventure! I look forward to seeing your Jeep!

rubicon91

Explorer
Where is this Friday video lol I got an hour and a half still to waste at work and this would help out a lot haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles