Picking a tire size

spnce

Lots of suggestions but very little info ... not even a pic of your vehicle. The tire you use should be based on the vehicle model, weight, and probable usage. If you are off road a lot, you might go with an MTR, but if you are 90% road and 10% light trail, go with an All Terrain (AT) tire. There's no way to tell how big you can go without more information.

Our use is mostly on pavement, but frequently snow covered. The trails I've driven it on so far are light and rarely muddy. I've considered swapping tires in the winter, but it seems like I'd wear out a snow tire real fast with a vehicle this size. That said I haven't weighed it...

A couple pics:
IMG_1536.jpg
IMG_1619.jpg

jronwood

Adventurer
I am HUGE fan of 19.5" conversions for 16" factory truck tire, wear like iron, and given you don't "off road" a good Michelin or like would be perfect. Rickson rims (ask for heather) can outfit your rim needs. If you want to stick with 16" rims look for "G" series full steel cased tires (no squirm like an "LT" tire), I use these on my trailers.

rruff

Explorer
It's not tire slippage I'm talking about. The differentials aren't locked and easily accommodate different spin rates. It isn't a "breaking the transmission" issue. If you drove that way all the time, maybe something in the differential would wear out sooner, but I wouldn't do that anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles