Gen 2.5 heat blower motor

Clutch Cargo

Observer
Heat was just working fine in my '98 then after starting the truck a little over an hour after parking it, there was nothing on cold or hot. Replaced a random(I don't have the fuse box cover) 15a fuse that was popped, still nothing. Would the blower go without any signs of failure leading up to that or is there a relay or another fuze somewhere that could be the culprit? Of course this would happen when it's freezing out and just starting to snow :mad::mad:

Clutch Cargo

Observer
It doesn't seem to be the rotary switch in the dashboard either because I can put the AC on and the condenser kicks on, and when the dial is set to AC and the fan is off and then I turn the fan on the condenser also kicks on

Clutch Cargo

Observer
just pulled the blower motor resistor and it doesn't look/smell burnt, just old and a little dirty. I guess I'll try replacing that and see what happens...

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Wish i could offer some ideas but my gen 2.5 has auto climate control so not really the same set up, at the dash anyways.

Was there much resistance to the fan turning when you hotwired it? I mean physical resistance not ohms LOL. We had to retrofit a honda motor to the mitsu fan recently on a Delica that uses the same fan when we had no readily available replacement . But that one was making noise and yours was giving no indication beforehand by the sounds of it...

Possibly shorting out somewhere when wired in to its normal circuit? Wonder which fuse was blown... coincidence?

Good luck. Electrical gremlins are always entertaining right?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Clutch Cargo

Observer
No resistance at the fan itself, seemed to spin free just as it should. I've been looking all over to try and find a store that has the resistor in stock with no such luck so far

Clutch Cargo

Observer
Finally checked the connector now that I'm back home from my gf house and have my multimeter and test light. Have power at the connector to the motor and the motor works when hooked up to test leads on the battery. Reinstalled the motor and plugged in, worked then stopped when I changed the dial. Blower was weak. Stopped working when I changed the position of the dial, started again when I hit it hahaha. Probably an internal connection in the motor assembly. Ordered a new resistor just to be safe since the motor never seemed to get full power anyway. I'll probably order a new motor too. Hopefully have a full power blower

Clutch Cargo

Observer
New blower motor and resistor are in and the heat works again! My only complaint is that the force at which the air comes out of the vents SUCKSSSSS. Why is it so weak?? Is it a common problem with these trucks or is there probably a duct popped off under the dashboard?

PacS14

Adventurer
On my 97 S14 I had an issue where the blower would be strong after a right turn and weak after a left, I thought connection - nope, motor - yep, inside there were carbon brushes and one was fairly worn out and spring was too weak to make good contact therefore only an external force would allow for full contact when turned on, I found at the time an online vendor of various sizes carbon brushes and although I did not find an exact match I bought the closest one I could find and just sanded off the excess material with different grit sandpaper paper until they were made to fit, it worked for years and traded the car and was still going strong. Maybe worth disassembling the motor and see if this applies and then just look up carbon brushes on Google. The important thing to look for is the size width, length, shape, and connectors, if you can't find your exact replacement make sure you get one that you can shape into the right shape and length and that the connectors match yours as close as possible, I soldered mine instead of plugging them in anyways, but that's just me, if I ever run into that problem with the Monty I might try to source a junk hard one that still works and then repair my own. Good luck!

Clutch Cargo

Observer
That's pretty much what happened with mine. When I took the fan out and tilted it to one side or another it would make contact and get full power. Luckily my local parts store had the motor in stock pretty cheap so I didn't have to order the carbon brushes but that's good to know you can buy them separate. Not I just need to find out why the air is weak coming out the vents. I can hear the motor working hard and I checked then blend door for proper operation. Only thing I can thing of is an obstruction keeping the air from blowing through the fins of the heater core

Clutch Cargo

Observer
Nvm, just found it. I have no idea how lo access it so I just took the blower motor out again and stuck my phone up there to take a video. Looks like some dust/crap but not a ton. Can't tell for sure. I'll have to figure out how to take the housing off or stick a shop vac hose up there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier