Trucky McTruckface - Overland Adventure Truck

pnwginger

Adventure Truck Builder
This is the second build that I have read where the owner/builder decides to sell. Are these trucks not ideal for expedition builds?

I am selling simply to turn this endeavor into a business. I've found something i love to do. building these things is quite costly and so i can't quite afford tooth build one and drive it around the world. yet.

pnwginger

Adventure Truck Builder
He is selling the truck for reason other than it being completely rad. It is/they are completely rad. Which is the other rig your referred to in your post?

I think the other truck you're referring to was the Blue M1078, the chassis renovation was started by a couple and and sold to grigsby truck company in Bend, Oregon. My initial goals with this build were to complete it and drive to argentina and back, now i want to turn this endeavor into a business and build a few more of these.

pnwginger

Adventure Truck Builder
Well that's a bummer you're selling it was starting to be an awesome build! I was wondering how you were affording all that on a USCG salary!! I was gonna ask you to start a thread on your money guru ways haha! Good luck with you next build looking forward to seeing it!

I bought a sprinter van, built it out and lived out of it for a few years while serving as a lifeboat driver in Washington state. while maximizing my time outdoors and not paying rent or utilities, i was able to quickly save money. after separating we sold the Wonderbus and made the investment in our future with the truck. also i attended school full time in a welding program using the GI Bill. no tricks, no frivolous expenses, just diligence and determination.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
(Hey, Quade/Andreas . . . hope all is well.)

A lot of us have been to the Steens. It's a fine/recommended place to go. Not much on the way to anything but lots of low-key stuff to do and see once you get to the area. And the Steens can be combined with investigation of the Owyhees and the Alvord and/or Black Rock Desert to provide enough substance for an impressive expedition-type trip

I posted one of the Portals's pithier trip reports, with a few pretty pictures, here:

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/malheur-steens-lakeview-or-spring-trip.61341/

but the forum has some others spread around, I'm pretty sure.

It's a pretty weather-dependent place to go, with late spring being about the best. In normal years, the snow hangs on at the highest points but the roads will be good. Summer is often uncomfortably hot, winter is dark and snowy. Mid-to-late September through early-to-mid October is generally good, too, though I enjoy having the extra daylight you get in late spring.

The Steen's trip also marked the high point for my Samurai Class A Motorhome, an idea which didn't exactly catch on,

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/samurai-motorhome-build-thread.61580/

and which wouldn't be mentioned except that the contrast with Trucky McTruckface strikes me as amusing as it gets in overlanding. :unsure:

pnwginger

Adventure Truck Builder
Mike,

Funny you should mention the owyhee and the alford desert, those were my previous two destinations as a part of this trip. what a cool region to explore. there is a hiking trail long distance hiking trail called the oregon desert trail that space from Bend to Lake Owyhee, as it follows public lands, existing trails and right of way access, the trial is 750 miles long and features many oregon treasures. definitely on my bucket list!

Love the samurai!

Hope all is well!

Quade

pnwginger

Adventure Truck Builder
Pretty insane how life morphs beyond imagination. here we are just a couple of years later and so much has happened. I've built tons more cool things and finally are in a shop of my very own. check out our site !

overlandadventuretruck.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles