Thread: Yakima Skyrise vs Tepui Ayer vs Front Runner Featherlite

Default Yakima Skyrise vs Tepui Ayer vs Front Runner Featherlite

Any thoughts on these 3 RTTs? Thinking about trailer mounting one, the two person seems plenty larger for my wife and I and I prefer as compact and light as possible. I was able to check out the Yakima in person and it seems pretty well built and breathable.
    "When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect. There is no other way for land to survive the impact of mechanized man, nor for us to reap from it the aesthetic harvest it is capable, under science, of contributing to culture." - Aldo Leopold

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 3.5XS: Scooby the adventure rig
    2009 Honda Fit Sport: the DD go cart

I like the size of the Yakima Skyrise "Medium"....seems plenty large for 2...althought they classify it as a 3 person.

The build quality and the mounting setup seem very good. We'll see how it performs after using it this Spring/Summer.
    "410adventure" on IG. 2016 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, Llumar Matte Paint Protection full vehicle wrap, Zone 3.5" Adventure Series suspension, 35x12.50 BFG KO2 tires, 18x9 +15 RTX Offroad wheels, Bushwacker ExtendaFender flares (wrapped in 3M matte to match paint), Lund Rockrails with steps, Yakima Skyrise RTT, Thule bedrail mounted Tracker rack system

As a Tepui owner I'd recommend checking out Tepui's Baja series which are made of the same 210D nylon & you'll be able to easily switch out your canopy with mesh or canvas with their patented zipper gimp. I saw one of the new Skyrise tents at my local REI this weekend & asked to see some detailed specs on that breathability claim since it looked like standard PU coating to me.
    Last edited by surferdude78; 03-20-2017 at 02:51 AM.

I have an Ayer. It fits nicely on the jeep and opens to the rear. I use it solo 50% and with my 8 year old the other 50. I would personally buy one of the 56" wide tents if I was doing it over. 48 is okay, but tight, especially in driving rain, snow, anything that makes you not want to touch the tent sides.
    All opinions, including this one, are inherently biased. Seek information broadly and think for yourself!

You're forgetting about the Tepui Kukenam Baja Series (Ayer size available too). It's a bit larger than these and can be done with a mesh canopy or a lightweight nylon canopy if you're wanting something lightweight. Having seen all of these firsthand it would be my top choice hands down for a lightweight RTT.
    http://tepuitents.com/collections/baja-series
    Adam Tolman
    '95 FZJ80
    '08 Off-road Trailer
    TEPUI TENTS. 10% OFF Forum Member Discount

We have run a Tepui Ayer for about a year and a half now and absolutely love it. My wife and I, plus our dog on occasion, sleep in it just fine. It's been through all kinds of weather from clear sunny days to torrential down pours with heavy winds and it's held up great. We have enjoyed our Tepui so much and had so many people ask about it that we actually decided to become a dealer for them. I'll send you a PM with more information on the Ayer and our experiences.
    The Overland Shop
    "Gear For Your Next Adventure"

www.theoverlandshop.com