Yakima Skyrise vs Tepui Ayer vs Front Runner Featherlite

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Any thoughts on these 3 RTTs? Thinking about trailer mounting one, the two person seems plenty larger for my wife and I and I prefer as compact and light as possible. I was able to check out the Yakima in person and it seems pretty well built and breathable.

h1psi

I like the size of the Yakima Skyrise "Medium"....seems plenty large for 2...althought they classify it as a 3 person.

The build quality and the mounting setup seem very good. We'll see how it performs after using it this Spring/Summer.

surferdude78

Observer
As a Tepui owner I'd recommend checking out Tepui's Baja series which are made of the same 210D nylon & you'll be able to easily switch out your canopy with mesh or canvas with their patented zipper gimp. I saw one of the new Skyrise tents at my local REI this weekend & asked to see some detailed specs on that breathability claim since it looked like standard PU coating to me.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I have an Ayer. It fits nicely on the jeep and opens to the rear. I use it solo 50% and with my 8 year old the other 50. I would personally buy one of the 56" wide tents if I was doing it over. 48 is okay, but tight, especially in driving rain, snow, anything that makes you not want to touch the tent sides.

Box Rocket

You're forgetting about the Tepui Kukenam Baja Series (Ayer size available too). It's a bit larger than these and can be done with a mesh canopy or a lightweight nylon canopy if you're wanting something lightweight. Having seen all of these firsthand it would be my top choice hands down for a lightweight RTT.
http://tepuitents.com/collections/baja-series

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles