2008 LR3 Groaning at Speed

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Good afternoon all,

Recently, my wife's LR3 has started making a groaning/whining noise that is most noticeable when slowing down and around the 20-30 mph range. So far, driveline fluids have all been changed out with no improvement. Front and rear differentials were both honey color and very little on the drain plugs. Transfer case was reddish brown with nothing on the drain plug. Both front wheel bearings have been replaced recently and I double checked. They are still good. Both rear bearings have not been replaced but do not have any plan. Looking for ideas on what to look at next.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Wheel bearings can make noise and not have play in them

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

Man... you learn something new every day. Any idea on another way to check them? Spinning the wheel provides some resistance, but not anything that feels unreasonable.

roverpat

Observer
When you drive it pitch it left and right and listen for noise to come and go

ryandavenport

Adventurer
When you drive it pitch it left and right and listen for noise to come and go

So this was extremely helpful. Steering left and shifting the weight to the passenger's side of the vehicle results in the noise going away. Steering right and shifting the weight to the driver's side of the vehicle causing the noise to get significantly louder.

dlm31

Get your front and rear diffs checked. You may have a bad bearing. Could also be a CV joint. I've had both diffs go south, one under warranty, the other long after. The diff is one of the few weak spots in the LR3 drivetrain. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ColoDisco

Explorer
Sounds like your drivers front or rear wheel bearing. I can usually feel the vibration in the steering wheel if it's the front.

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Get your front and rear diffs checked. You may have a bad bearing. Could also be a CV joint. I've had both diffs go south, one under warranty, the other long after. The diff is one of the few weak spots in the LR3 drivetrain. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'll look into that if the bearing replacement doesn't work.

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Sounds like your drivers front or rear wheel bearing. I can usually feel the vibration in the steering wheel if it's the front.

Right now I'm leaning towards the front, as it was replaced about a year ago with a cheap
aftermarket bearing and doesn't spin near as freely as the rear wheels.

11b4v

Adventurer
So this was extremely helpful. Steering left and shifting the weight to the passenger's side of the vehicle results in the noise going away. Steering right and shifting the weight to the driver's side of the vehicle causing the noise to get significantly louder.

This exactly how you test for a bad wheel/hub bearing

morrisdl

Adventurer
Lift the wheel off the ground and see if it wiggles. My Duratrac LT275/65r18 tire clearance is so tight with upper a-arm, it rubs and rumbles if there is any bearing play.

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Front bearing has now been replaced and the noise is still there. We have a set of chassis ears at work so I'm going to get them this weekend and see if I can pinpoint a location.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Could be a diff. I just received bearings and seals from Unseenone and am planning on rebuilding my rear diff in a few weeks. May do the front next month as I suspect the bearings in the front are suspect as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles