Vanessa, the Jersey Girl

another_mike

Adventurer
More rivnuts

1zj6s1.jpg

Which rivnut setter is that? how do you like it?

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Batteries on the frame... Took me way longer to drill, rivnut and bolt up then i want to tell... Lots of little complications.

252Ex3K.jpg

Rebecca fortunately made progress on the sound deadening while i rolled around on the ground acting like a like a complete muppet. Did both sides, still have the roof and doors to do.

uNWy1sQ.jpg

SirMrManGuy

Observer
That rivnut tool is a $70 Chinese one from Amazon. I'm quite impressed with the quality for the price. I'll dig the link out for you.

Didn't do drain holes but that's a good idea. I'll put a few in.

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Mounted the solar panels on the roof and more sound deadening today. I'm really glad the van came with this TracRac Van rack, it's really well made, all aluminum extrusion and stainless. I've worked in ski shops and bike shops a lot when i was younger so was really impressed with this even compared to Thule, yakima etc. They are ungodly expensive ($550 for three bars and feet) for a van ladder rack so i don't think i would have bought it if it didn't come with the van.

Just some 1.5in aluminum angle for the panels.

koOWsaU.jpg

Q5nBBZU.jpg

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Yea, I did find it on Amazon after some searching. Looks like this one? http://a.co/cHIW3Sk

That's the one. The instructions suck, it takes a minute to figure out how to change the bits the first time, but someone of course made a video on you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzpfYyq9Zcc.

My friend bought one from AliExpress that looked the same but came with a decent plastic case awhile ago. This one didn't have a case, but I usually don't like cases anyway because they take up too much room in the tool box.

Deshet

Adventurer
The frame looks pretty good for being a northern vehicle. Have you noticed a lot of rust damage

SirMrManGuy

Observer
The frame looks pretty good for being a northern vehicle. Have you noticed a lot of rust damage

Yeah it's quite good actually. Only has 99k miles and i think the last owner took decent care for a work van. There are a few paint chips on the rockers, mostly from Chevy's horrible paint, not abuse or anything, and a spot on the side of the hood but I've been trying to fix those.

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Made some brackets for the ARB awning. ARB wanted $25 each for these. Took maybe an hour to make.

I really wanted to just mount the awning directly to the rack towers but they are all ever so slightly at different angles and out if line because of the curve in the roof.

BVceQJ7.jpg

oXfiry3.jpg

ADqbw1L.jpg

PgwkqYb.jpg

Sits maybe an inch or so further out then i would like because I made them while the van was at my friend's shop.

Had him do the transmission fluid and filter. Normally I'd do this myself but it requires dropping the exhaust to get the transmission pan off to do the filter, which is a pain without a lift (an hour job that takes all day on the ground). Fluid looked old but good so I'm happy with this transmission.

This van is a 2007, did they fix the issue with the transfer case fluid level on this one or do I have to jack up one side and over fill it?

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Ran the factory harness down the inside of the c pillars
hnLu9Ns.jpg

Had to extend the wiring for the driver's tail light a bit. Also removed the terrible trailer light wiring the previous owner did with vampire clips. Why the hell anyone would spend the time doing this when Chevy's plug in connectors are so cheap i have no idea.

tx8YAch.jpg

Did the insulation today. Two layers of easy cool/lobucrod on the roof and one on the walls.

tDlglgr.jpg

aAXFQm7.jpg

Used high heat resistant contact cement sprayed out of a cheap siphon feed gun. Much easier than spray can adhesive and much cheaper. It's $45 a gallon versus $15 a can. We probably used 2/3 of a gallon.

u0z5GRu.jpg

This was one of three $20 guns at harbor freight. I picked the one with the largest nozzle, 2mm, worked great.

Last edited:

wjeeper

Ran the factory harness down the inside of the c pillars
Love it! I was scratching my head yesterday with what to do with the wires in my van. Definitely be copying your idea!

Also removed the terrible trailer light wiring the previous owner did with vampire clips. Why the hell anyone would spend the time doing this when Chevy's plug in connectors are so cheap i have no idea.
Those things were the bane of my existence when i worked at a trailer repair shop. Those things are the cause of more electrical problems than they solve.

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Love it! I was scratching my head yesterday with what to do with the wires in my van. Definitely be copying your idea!

Those things were the bane of my existence when i worked at a trailer repair shop. Those things are the cause of more electrical problems than they solve.
I told my girlfriend if I ever saw her use one of those clips to do anything that we were through. I think she knew I was serious. :yikes:

Yeah there is a hole above the top of the c-pillar I managed to sneak the harness down using an electricians fishing tape, just big enough to fit one connector at a time while taking a bit of skin off your knuckles. That "simple job" took me a solid 2-3hrs. On the passenger side there is a vent thing behind the lights you have to remove to get the harness past. I also had to drill another hole to bring the 3rd brake light connector down through. I'll try and post some more photos of how its run.

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Been framing and paneling the interior for the last few days. It's tedious and frustrating work, not a single straight edge or else un-curved wall in the thing.

Using 2in or 3in strips of 5mm underlayment plywood for the framing, more rivnuts and counter sunk Allen heads.

The track will be used to hide some of the panel joins and hang stuff.

The panels are also 5mm plywood, going back I would have probably found some plastic of some sort that takes a curve a bit better. That or buy a conversion van or a pre made interior.... I wish I had.

UMeR3Fb.jpg

zHRMCDp.jpg

M4QQbro.jpg

We've gotten all the panels done except for the last roof panel. For some reason I didn't take pictures probably exhaustion.

The unfinished space in the roof is about 8.5ft long and 50in wide which sucks because plywood sheet is 4x8ft, so it has to be two sheets. The l-track on the roof takes up an inch either side, but that's also 8ft so there are some gaps at one end which are going to be a bit strange.

The fit on the interior is ok... Not perfect a few gaps bigger than I'd like but I'm hoping the headliner carpet I'm putting over it will make it look nice. I'll take more pics when it's back up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior