Vanessa, the Jersey Girl

Corneilius

Adventurer
I also dig this build. Is that the Harbor freight grommet kit? I had ZERO luck with mine, perhaps operator error?

SirMrManGuy

Observer
I also dig this build. Is that the Harbor freight grommet kit? I had ZERO luck with mine, perhaps operator error?
Thanks. If anyone really digs it, it will likely be for sale when we finish our trip in 6-8mo.

The grommets are from amazon but I'm sure its close/same as the HF one. I've had a 50% success rate with them pulling through, my girlfriend fares better. She watched a youtube video that said to hit then rotate rotate the driver 1/4turn then hit it and rotate again. Seems to work ok, its not perfect but its so cheap who cares if you need to do it twice.

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Few more details of stuff.

Decided I needed a collapsable flagpole.... searched around on the internet a bunch for something that didn't suck, then realized I already owned the perfect thing.

9xIzhwT.jpg

For those here who aren't back country skiers... it's an avalanche probe, essentially a thick tent pole with a spike on the end. I just cable tied the flag to it and it all folds up and rolls into the sleeve it comes in. Perfect.

4Ak5Gf3.jpg

Changed out one of the grommets for a sport climbing bolt hanger so I didnt have to unthread the cam buckle strap every time. Yes... I realize it isn't a rated carabiner and the bolt hanger should pull down ... ;)

BmDDvIB.jpg

Window nets that rebecca made. There is also a big one for the side doors.

hRWOUxY.jpg

The strip magnets don't hold for s#!%, glad I have the circle ones.

RpcLokh.jpg

The rear ones also are bolted through the hinge.
BnFaxGH.jpg

Little ties to hold them up.
evFfYLR.jpg

Cargo net in the back. The tan bag is our sleeping bag. For anyone who wants a bada$$ two person backpacking bag I'm a huge fan of the Nemo Tango Duo, it allows the two of us to carry one less bag and weighs no more than one normal bag, 800fill down and backless.

The window nets and flag pole live in the cargo net as well when not being used.

The flags were brought to me last month from a friend who was in India.

kdtOaiG.jpg

Some pics of the roof in use

vIEKf14.jpg

Needed a place to stand so I stole this idea from someone on here to use cut down loading ramps for a nice aluminum walk board. Now I need to figure out what to do with the second ramp since they are only really useful in pairs... freebie if you pick it up to anyone who wants it.

ckvMJPu.jpg

Had the van out for its first shakedown overnight run at Cunningham Falls State Park. We were the only people there. It of course rained, but I was very very happy with the ARB awning, we were still able to cook outside.

Gaqg4KQ.jpg

AodZ64V.jpg

Also took it out to a local horse race last weekend, Maryland Hunt Cup. The tailgating area was full of yuppies so I picked the coolest looking guy I could to park next to.

x6t4l6x.jpg

The other guys van was more of a tail gaiting rig, he pretty much spends all weekend driving between porting events, but he did have a removable bed platform. He had only finished it a few months ago so we chatted a bunch about our builds, cool guy.

Lots of TV lots of sound
SRRprYd.jpg

Lots of batteries
FRc5ZkR.jpg

Lots of amps and lots of air for an air horn
SGDWJih.jpg

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Bit of an update, we've been on the road for a bit over a week now. Slowly getting used to van life.

We traveled up the coast, New York, Boston and then Acadia park in Maine. We crossed the border at the smallest crossing ever at St Stephen Canada. Just two guys and a bridge. Took us a bit because they had to process Rebecca's working holiday Visa and the guy had never done one, but they were quite nice and apologetic about it; I'd expect nothing less of the Canadians.

Explored the bay of Fundy a bit and St Andrew, beautiful tides, did a bit of climbing around Fredericton. We're off to Nova Scotia today and will come back through New Brunswick again in a week... Mostly because all of the campground haven't opened for the season in NB yet so we've had to park in a few public parks, Walmart and Cabela's parking lots. Nova Scotia seems to have more camp grounds and parks open so we'll see how that goes.

The van is doing well (knock on wood), very happy with the fridge and the 100l water tank.

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Up in Nova Scotia now, just left cape Brenton national Park, quite an amazing drive if you get to do it. It's been a bit cold and rainy but I totally recommend the off season, apparently a zoo in the summer. All the campgrounds were "closed" but no one said anything about us parking there, so it was an affordable few days . Got some biking and hiking done.*

14v0mtu.jpg

2hrl9ol.jpg

20u93py.jpg

2w40ftt.jpg

Also I totally recommend carrying tire plugs and and air on long trips, got a nail in the tire, much quicker to just fix it then swap it. *I use a co2 paintball cylinder and a fixed pressure regulator but a 12v compressor would work too.*

2s6r3ix.jpg

WVI

Adventurer
Great pics!
I've been meaning to try and put together a C02 setup together like yours....

SirMrManGuy

Observer
South Pier, Yeah I was worried that hose would rub against the pump bracket and it was in arms reach at the time.

Wvi, I've used that co2 setup a ton over the years. My old wrx was notorious for picking up nails so it lived in the spare tire well, blew some police officers mind when he stopped to see if I needed help on the side of the highway.

Mine has a custom bottle fitting but it's doable with off the shelf stuff. Should be able to do one for about $100

Bottle ~$30 from ********'s or Cabela's
Regulator ~$45 (remove the large bottle fitting, it's 1/4 npt, and adapt to the fill adapter)
Tank universal fill adapter $15 (these have 1/8 npt I think)
Misc fittings $10
Hose $10

Regulator
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008...bp_QL65&keywords=fixed+pressure+co2+regulator

Fill adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...ll+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=419EheSEwVL&ref=plSrch

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Did a little mod today. The side barn door windows were clear but the rear ones that I swapped in were tinted, plus the silver insulation window shades stuck out like dogs balls. *Not the stealth look I was going, for so I picked up some tint from Canadian Tire and put it on in the parking lot.

20170601_131314.jpg

Not a pro job by any means and it's a bit bluer than the rear but it looks good from 5ft. *

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Inadvertently got a good test of my solar system.

Last week at Mount Tremblant I met a guy with a Westfalia in the parking lot who killed his batteries overnight. I isolated my house batteries at the switch and jumped him. I was looking at my volt meter today when driving and noticed it wasn't charging the house batteries off the alternator (not showing 14v). I was worried I had blown my charging relay or a fuse when I jumped him but my dumb *** had just forgot to de-isolate the battery banks. Switched it back on and all good.

So I've been operating the fridge and other 12v on just solar all week with no issues and didn't even notice.

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Got to my sister's house in Wisconsin and took the opportunity to wash and wax the van. *Really trying to protect the paint and get the dirt off the roof. * Also took everything out and vacuumed it.*

If you live in an area with trees, especially pine trees, it's good to take the black plastic trim around the rear door off and de gunk it every once in awhile, otherwise the lip on the roof under it rusts away. *

ntXisDZ.jpg

PCcftkw.jpg

She didn't have a ladder so washing/waxing the roof was fun...

Also added in a propane detector. *I carry an 11lb bottle inside the van and this was recommended to me. *Apparently it's illegal to have a commercial RV with propane without one in the USA. *Seemed like a good idea. *It's behind my fridge and wired directly to the aux fuse panel so it's away on.*

y8vzJpy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94