2-Door JK JeepKitchen - AT Chaser - Globetrotter - National Luna build thread

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
So, I finally took some pictures for a build thread and plan to keep posting as the build progresses. Today, I finalized my JeepKitchen install in the JK. Since the JeepKitchen needs a flat surface to mount correctly, I scribed a test plate and have been driving around town with it for a few months. When I got my National Luna Power Pack this week, I decided to finalize the floor plate.

After removing everything, I added a scribe plate to template the final floor plate. I wanted the plate to follow the contour of the rear gate:

IMG_3302.jpg

Here is a pic before tracing out the new floor plate. I also needed to add some material to the front of the plate to mount the Power Pack.

IMG_3303.jpg

Next, I traced the new plate, cut it out, and put it back to test the scribes.

IMG_3304.jpg

Then, I put the JeepKitchen back in to mark the bolt holes, trace the location, and in general...make sure everything was going to work the way I expected it to.

IMG_3305.jpg

Test fitting the Power Pack followed.

IMG_3306.jpg

After removing the plate and drilling out all the bolt hole locations, I installed these "thingamajigs". Can't remember what they are called.

IMG_3309.jpg

Then the carpet Yo! Bought a 4 x 15 foot roll of black carpet from Amazon. $23.00 Prime.

IMG_3310.jpg
IMG_3311.jpg
IMG_3312.jpg

Then I bolted both the JeepKitchen and Power Pack in.
IMG_3313.jpg

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
A bit more of the install

Note the little "foot" to allow the weight of the Power Pack to sit on the center console cupholders"
IMG_3314.jpg

And....success!

IMG_3315.jpg

Tomorrow afternoon I will install the wiring for the Power Pack and post more pics. Stuff about the Adventure Trailers Chaser/Globetrotter will be posted as mods are installed.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Thanks. When I bought the AT Chaser, I was pleased to find that I can extend and use the JeepKitchen while the Chaser is attached. That's very cool. Was pretty sure I'd need to disconnect every time I wanted to grab something from the cooler. Since space is so limited in the 2-Door, there is a lot of room to pack other stuff around the JeepKitchen without smothering the Fridge. It's coming together!

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Wiring up the National Luna Power Pack

Nice weather today. Took some time to wire up the NL Power Pack. After stripping the passenger side and vaccuming (it's still not clean), I decided to run the wires up the passenger side of the center console. I may regret this later if I put in an aftermarket console (It was impossible to post this picture right-side up...for some darned reason):
IMG_3329.jpg

Mess, mess, mess. I encased both the + and - wires all the way through with 3/8 wire loom. It fit perfectly:
IMG_3330.jpg

Used a die grinder to take the lip off the back end of the console skin. This kept the wire from pushing it out (and rubbing through the wire insulation someday):
IMG_3331.jpg

Looking at the passenger-side firewall (left-side):
IMG_3332.jpg

And the right-side. I found a major wire harness going thought the firewall (and to the main distribution block). There was plenty of space in the grommet for two fat wires
IMG_3333.jpg

The Power Pack fuse housing with the JK battery removed:
IMG_3334.jpg
IMG_3335.jpg

I connected power to the main 12+ input at the primary distribution block, and connected - to the body ground (that connects directly to the battery). Put everything back together...and it works!

By the way, anyone figure out why iPhone pictures will not upload right-side-up? If you turn them 90º between each try, they will work every way...except RIGHT-SIDE-UP! Crap. Sorry for the screwy pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_3329.jpg
    IMG_3329.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3329.jpg
    IMG_3329.jpg
    536.1 KB · Views: 122

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Lift

I got sidetracked after going on a wheeling trip with a guy that had AEV deadlocks. CL had a slightly used AEV 2.5 DS lift for sale, so I bought it. Didn't take many photos during the install, but here they are:

Halfway done:
IMG_3417.jpg

and done:
IMG_3418.jpg
IMG_3419.jpg

I gained about 3 inches, close as I can tell. Was too lazy to measure it beforehand.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Beadlocks

Then I found a guy on CL that had eight AEV Pintler beadlocks for sale. I bough them too and picked up 5 almost-new KM2 35s. After mounting them myself I changed the wheels out today:

IMG_3423.jpg
IMG_3424.jpg

It was a heck of a lot of work. 5 wheels/tires took 6 hours to mount, but no leaks so far. Got lucky. Once I find another set of KM2s I'll mount up deadlocks for the Chaser.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
That does look great! Plenty of tire and lift to air down and get where you need to go.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I took them out for the first time yesterday afternoon with some folks to find some snow on the logging roads. I was completely amazed at the difference. Moved me from 5th in line to 2nd in line. :) The guy with beadlocks and 37s was still breaking trail. All in (for used gear) I spent about $2500 on the lift, rims, and tires and don't regret it. I did wind up with three extra beadlock rings for the trailer, but can't afford more KM2s just yet.

Pretty exciting.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
New propane setup

Today I got around to installing the new propane tanks and associated parts. I like the way it turned out and it seems to work well. I didn't get around to posting some parts. A Teraflex HD hinge, tire mount, and Alta rack have been added in the last few months.

The propane tank is meant to be mounted horizontally, has a guage (accuracy not-yet-proven), and since it has a separate fill valve, I was able to put a quick-disconnect fitting for swapping hoses easily (stove, heater, fireplace). Here are some pics:

Brackets bought from Amazon. These things are cheap and heavy duty...but were not even close to a circular shape when they arrived. I spend two hours bending them into an acceptable shape. This is a temporary mount to check fit:
IMG_3662.jpg

But this was too wide. The brackets are a mirrored pair, so reversing them brought them close enough to fit the 20 lb tank:
IMG_3663.jpg
IMG_3671.jpg

A shot of the end with all the important parts:
IMG_3664.jpg

With the gate open:
IMG_3665.jpg

I think it's going to work. With the tank full, the gate will deal with the weight. Who knows for how long though. More hours were spent putting all the quick-disconnect fittings on hoses and checking for leaks. Tomorrow will be spent finalizing the tank mount. Brother-in-law will need to figure out a way to add a padlock to the brackets and re-powder coat them.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Propex and Teraflex

So, the reason I blew all the money on the Teraflex hinges and rack...was pretty much to change everything over to propane (from white-gas) and have a place to sit the Propex heater this fall and be able to open the gate (to access kitchen and fridge) in the evening without disconnecting any heater parts.

Today I gave it a test setup, and plan to sleep in it tonight. Not sure if it will be cold enough to use the heater though.

First try:
IMG_3666.jpg

Access to fridge and kitchen while heater is functional (and even running):
IMG_3667.jpg

I am pretty excited about this. There will no-doubt be some bugs to work out, but come fall I might be able to do quick-and-dirty camping with minimal effort on Friday evenings.

Had a little time to mount the new Partner Stove too and light it up. Propane is niiiiiiice!
IMG_3669.jpg

More to come tomorrow. Might have time to finally put the awning on the rig.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Fiamma F35 Pro awning, beer opener

Yesterday I received a set of Frontrunner Slimline II "standard" brackets, so I installed a Fiamma F35 Pro that I had laying around. It's my first awning (except for camper trailers), so it will be a good test to see what I want/need in an awning. The brackets:
IMG_3680.jpg
I love Frontrunner stuff. They ship fast and have a lot of accessories to play with. This time they shorted me about 4 washers. Luckily I had some nice bronze ones left over from the beadlock install. Next, I removed the innards from the awning:
IMG_3681.jpg
Temporarily mounted the new brackets to see how things will be:
IMG_3682.jpg
Then, some helping hands to choose a mounting point that will allow the legs to attache to the rig (later...when I can find or make the parts):
IMG_3683.jpg
Some marking and drilling:
IMG_3684.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles