Kitanica pants review

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
After owning a pair of the first gen of the Kitanica Gen II pants, I have determined these pants are designed for the man on the go, to the mall.

The pockets of these pants "look really cool" but they are very poorly placed for someone who would actually put something in these pockets. The back pockets are similar to the 5.11 pants and run down the back of the thigh. You sit on anything you put in the pocket. Very annoying.

Due to the over-sized front thigh pockets the side cargo pockets are placed behind the leg. Once again, anything in that pocket ends up under your thigh sitting on it.

Even walking around, it was annoying to feel my EDC stuff lying on the back of my thighs .

This was a very expensive experiment but lesson learned. I'll stick to the tried and proven BDU/ACU design or my Crye Precision pants.

Attachments

• kitanica.jpg
    kitanica.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
Tried looking these up. No lead to Amazon, thought they had everything!!

Did find them. Holy crap for $225 they should be much better. Cannot imagine spending that much for pants unless you are fabulously wealthy.

Last edited:

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
Just got a pair of Kitanica Raider pants (they've changed the knee material, so these were about $75 cheaper than usual). Very well constructed, made in US, lots of huge pockets in what seem to be the right places, very nice fit and finish.
These may be a bit over-the-top for daily non-expedition wear, but they should be about perfect for SAR...

J!m

I look at stuff like this and realize they are not designed by someone who actually needs them. They get assigned the task to design something and it looks cool, so they run with it...

This is why I tend toward companies where the designer is the inventor. They design around a need, rather than fitting a look- form follows function.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Interesting. I'd be interested in knowing the design purpose behind the pockets that sit behind your upper thigh? I understand that many of these types of garments have military/tactical applications, but why there? And why with Velcro?

Good review. Thanks!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
With my three years in Iraq and Afghanistan , working mostly with Special Ops types, I've never see anyone wearing any Triple Aught Design or Kitanica.

J!m might have a point. I contacted Kitanica about the design flaws and while the individual was receptive he said the design was the design and it was not going to be changed.
I had the side cargo pockets modified with Velcro openings on the front side of the pocket so I could access the pocket while seated. It made the pocket more useful but still I would have to adjust myself so I was not sitting on everything. The durability was not the best with the material wearing our quickly. They loooked good on paper but not in practice.

Like I said in my original post ,they are probably best for exploring the mall and the coffee shop.

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
After wearing these for a couple weeks, I find them to be comfortable and the material well-made. I've used the front and side pockets (the Raider pants have about 30 pockets) and they seem fine. I haven't put anything in the back pockets.
I keep a bunch of nitrile gloves in one pocket, Narcan spray in another, some Keflex stuff in another, surgical tape, etc etc. I wear a duty belt with the bigger gear but I can easily access the pockets via the large velcro flaps.
And they DO look cool. In the same way a Caterpillar D-9 looks cool...

I have never actually seen Kitanica pants in person. I have been on their email list for some time. The pants strike me as overpriced and mall rated. I think there are better pants with better value than Kitanica.

Based on my experience, having had similar style pants for work that easily transition to back country wear, I would recommend Tru Spec 24-7 and Vertx. 5.11 is not bad but seem to scream off duty cop, unless that is the look you are going for. Tru Spec and Vertx are very reasonably priced, especially when compared to Kitanica.

Kitanica does look cool though, and so can you...

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have never actually seen Kitanica pants in person. I have been on their email list for some time. The pants strike me as overpriced and mall rated. I think there are better pants with better value than Kitanica.

Based on my experience, having had similar style pants for work that easily transition to back country wear, I would recommend Tru Spec 24-7 and Vertx. 5.11 is not bad but seem to scream off duty cop, unless that is the look you are going for. Tru Spec and Vertx are very reasonably priced, especially when compared to Kitanica.

Kitanica does look cool though, and so can you...

Definitely mall and Starbucks rated . Like I said in my OP, I like the BDU style pants. Cheap and pratical. Crye Precsion arepratical but expensive. Woolrich Elite had some nice pants based on the ACU design. I liked the lower leg pockets.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
They look too Power Ranger for me...
Although I do like the MOLLE straps on the side. I could use that for my blow-out kit.

I use 5.11 for CERT and SAR ---- I really like the lightweight pants. Only $50 too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles