Subaru shopping questions

CodyB

Observer
Well the past couple of months I have decided purchasing a smaller daily driver car would be a good addition to my Ram 2500 that is used for hunting, fishing, and other adventures. Originally I was looking at the many used Toyota and Honda cars on the market but then I got the idea maybe one of the crossover vehicles like an Outback, Forester, or Crosstek from Subaru would be a good addition since I could also it for longer fishing trips and such. I really do not know too much about the various years between the Subaru models and what changes have been made. Since this is a second vehicle I will be looking for a used vehicle. Amongst the Outback, Forester, and Crosstek are there any years and engines that are known to be problematic? I have heard the rumors over the years about Subarus having head gasket failures. If I decide to go this route for a second vehicle I would like it to be AWD. Any information on the Subarus to help get me started is appreciated, thanks.

ry3w

The Outback has the higher tow rating if that's a concern I just got a Forester I love the space and seating position..Gas mileage has been great so far comeing from a 2015 Hemi Ram

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
I've personally had two engines blow head gaskets in my previously owned 1996 Subaru Outback. If you're looking used, stay away from the 96-99 2.5L. My buddies moms 2010 Subaru Outback also blew a head gasket at only 70,000 miles. It cost them $3500 to have it fixed by the dealership. I would go with a toyota 4 runner or rav 4 If I were you, but for each their own. I've heard a lot of issues with head gaskets on the pancake engines Subaru makes. I used to love them, but after dealing with so many issues I just cant justify a Subaru anymore. Hope this helps!

Hodaka

Adventurer
I've owned several Subarus without having head gasket issues, including a 97 2.5l. Shop for a car with a good service history. Good call on staying away from Toyotas and Hondas, they tend to get neglected because people think they will run forever without servicing. Lots of head gasket, transmission, and other issues with those two brands.

nasko

Adventurer
The headgasket problem is blown way out of proportion. Yes, there were some, but definitely not every engine had a head gasket issue. Secondly even if it goes, if one is careful and does not over heat one's engine one replaces a gasket...
There is quite a bit of difference over the years between models but over all they remain great cars.
I currently have a 2004 Impreza (bought it new), it has 160K kms on original headgasket and has been a great little car. I have replaced brakes, timing belt and water pump and it currently needs a heat resistor and an evap canister vent valve. That is it. In 13 years of hard Canadian driving with heavy lifting in the first 8,9 years of its life. It has never left me stranded, went where I wanted to go and have been stuck once (in my driveway as I did not bother to clear any snow that year).
I also own a 2010 3.6 Outback that I bought last year. I bought it with 186K kms. I absolutely love this car, it is spacious, powerful, quiet, truly a pleasure to drive. Reasonably capable offroad with decent ground clearance. It was a well maintained one owner car and since purchase I have replaced oils all around, front wheel bearings, about to do rear wheel bearings. Currently it has over 212K kms and it drives beautifully.
Both cars give amazing confidence in winter driving. They simply go where you want them, that is important up here when the white stuff comes down. Every car maker has their issues at one time or another. IMO one can definitely do a lot worse than owning a Subaru. My 2 cents.
One more thing.... replacing the exhaust manifolds on the V8 4.7 Toyota engine costs quite a bit if done at a dealer, but Toyota people consider it one of the better engines Toyota has made... That $3.5K mentioned headgasket job seems outrageous...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
99-2003 they had a gasket issue. My 2001 at 62k was dripping coolant Subaru pulled the head replaced with a multi layer gasket and returned it 24hrs later no cost to me. Beat the hell out of that car through 180,000 - sold it in prime shape no leaks to a local kid. Last I heard he replaced it after college with 290,000 on the clock.
these are external leaks not internal
03-09 some cars developed oil leaks and eventually needed a gasket.

The 2010-12's have the last generation of the EJ 2.5 HG issues are extremely rare. Even so its a simple job $1500 is reasonable / fair Dealer charge. $2000 and more your grabbin your ankles and being ridden like a hore. The driverside head was the main culprit. I have two 2010's both 2.5's the last generation EJ is a solid engine. The new ground up FP 2.5 and 2.0 (2011 forester and impreza) had oil control issues with the rings due to the low friction surface treatments being used) high number of big oil burners foresters imprezas and Outbacks till about late 2014 -15.

The older 3L h6 is ok but was never that great under load it had hot spots requiring premium fuel or it suffered pre ignition it was a touch fuel hungry too. But durable and pretty tough.

All the wedge body yrs 99-2009 had weak cooling systems and exhaust that built up heat under extended throttle load so an eye on temp was needed especially in hot outside temps 85+ paired with highway speeds vs climbs or head winds etc. Many many Head gaskets were lost from over heats. But driven with temps in mind they were durable and can see big mileage numbers.

The 3.6 is a nice engine no major problems

Keep in mind Subaru only made two platforms for many yrs Impreza and Legacy. Then the heavier Tribeca then the little 2wd hot rod.

The forester is an impreza with a boxy body. The outback is a Legacy Wagon.

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
I've owned several Subarus without having head gasket issues, including a 97 2.5l. Shop for a car with a good service history. Good call on staying away from Toyotas and Hondas, they tend to get neglected because people think they will run forever without servicing. Lots of head gasket, transmission, and other issues with those two brands.

Huh? I could maybe see what you mean about toyotas and hondas having a tendency to get neglected but I really have heard few issues of engine, transmission and "other" issues with either Hondas or Toyotas in the last many years.... There is a reason they are rated at the top of reliability and thats because you get lots of 200k 300k 500k and million mile plus vehicles.

That being said, Subaru makes a great AWD platform, and they're definitely common in my area especially. Easy to get parts, mods, maintenance, etc. for.

Ill just leave this here ....
Subaru Forklift.jpg

And the Build Thread: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/overland-build-thread-567849/

jackattack

Observer
Just find a good condition 2.5L that has been well cared for. Make sure the timing belt & water pump was done around 110k miles, and bonus points if the head gasket was replaced. It will love you long time.

My mechanic told me that 6cyl and turbo models are not recommended as a high-mileage purchase because they require proprietary tools and cost much more to repair.

I just bought a single-family well-cared-for '03 legacy wagon this past weekend. It has 167k miles and drives like new. The head gasket was replaced under warranty at 60k and timing belt at 120k. I hope it is as good as my second Outback was to us.

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 8.52.32 PM.jpg

Hodaka

Adventurer
Huh? I could maybe see what you mean about toyotas and hondas having a tendency to get neglected but I really have heard few issues of engine, transmission and "other" issues with either Hondas or Toyotas in the last many years....

I personally know many people who have had to do head gaskets on Toyotas. When shopping for a car for my daughter, we looked at a Honda, and found out that certain years had major transmission problems, and head gasket issues. I used to work at a Honda dealership, and very few of the mechanics there would actually own either a Honda or a Toyota - including the tech who had previously worked at a Toyota dealership.
Has everyone already forgotten how Toyota cheated out on the DBW throttle pedal? We currently have a Honda, a Subaru, and a Toyota in our fleet at work. The Honda has been in the shop a lot with various issues, the Toyota has been OK for the most part because it has an auto trans instead of the manual that had issues, the Subaru has had brakes and oil changes. And front struts due to being driven on logging roads and the like frequently.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I had a toyota go through two Head gaskets in 14 Months. 4 new heads plus labor and block work toyota spent $6000 the first time. $4000 the second time and it was still not right.

Ive had two more yotas since both have had their problems.

My subarus have been dirt cheap in comparison.

RokStacker

I just picked up a 2007 Forester w/ 130k on it and with unknown service history... ended up spending $2600 in maintenance repairs. Just be sure to get one that has been taken care of and you'll love them.

skypix

Subaru Forester 4 sale

Foresters are fine but too small for my fridge/sink/toilet/tv and other geezer necessities.

My AWD SaVANa arrived last weekend and she who must be obeyed says get the Forester out of the driveway.

Runs and looks great, all the goodies including navigation, puddle lights and heated seats.

Recent timing belt/water pump/brakes and battery

boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/6043383482.html

::Squish::

Observer
in late 2011 we bought a 2009 certifed pre owned outback wagon. it's a 2.5 limited
We got the extended service plan

Here's the partial list of issues with the car in the less then 100,000 miles we've owned it
Starter motor went bad
Blown head gasket
Malfunctioning HVAC/Head unit
Bad Airbag inflator or switch
Steering pump replaced once and it's bag again
four sets of struts
each cv joint boot has gone south at least once most twice
side impact beam in drivers side door came un-welded
Terrible in city fuel economy (80,000 mile in city average is 17 mpg)
Rear hatch wiring
heat shield rattles all across the engine bay

This was my first subaru
We were really excited about the car
Now we can't wait to get rid of it. we both had friends who have 250,000 miles on their cars.

We don't abuse this car, it's rarely driven off paved roads,
both of us have had our license for a very long time and while we don't baby the car, we don't beat on it as well.

My shopping advice for myself, I highly doubt I'll get another Subaru.

This thing is worse then our Mini's

CodyB

Observer
Thanks for the information. Sounds like sticking with 2004 and newer Foresters without the turbo in a well maintained and documented vehicle will be the best option if I decide to go this route. From a few Craigslist searches he past couple weeks it appears some reasonable deals can be found in the SW and CA which I do not mind travelling for. There are always perils associated with buying used vehicles and I have had decent luck in the past with buying used vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles