Cassette toilets and trailer builds...

Utah200

Adventurer
Starting with the obvious, brands and models that you'd recommend or avoid?

Problems to watch out for? Not so obvious ingenuities you've come up with?

Right now I'm leaning toward having a separated storage compartment for the toilet designed to be easily hosed out if something were to go...um...awry.

Srpat

Observer
Dang, 22 gallons is a lot of crap to tote around. My family of 4 makes it 3 days or so before needing to empty. Never had a problem, or a concern, with anything coming apart in ours. It has been jostled around pretty good, I don't see how it could leak anything. The only thing I wish it did was automatically release air pressure from built up elevation changes. It really sucks to sit, get ready to do your thing, open the lever for the door, and have nasty crap blow up into you...

Utah200

Adventurer
Dang, 22 gallons is a lot of crap to tote around. My family of 4 makes it 3 days or so before needing to empty. Never had a problem, or a concern, with anything coming apart in ours. It has been jostled around pretty good, I don't see how it could leak anything. The only thing I wish it did was automatically release air pressure from built up elevation changes. It really sucks to sit, get ready to do your thing, open the lever for the door, and have nasty crap blow up into you...

Note to self...

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
exigent emergencies at night, in the rain, etc. (thinking -of going- outside my box)

Hmm...how many people are using it and are you using to for solid and liquid waste?
  • I camp alone, and often need facilities two or three times a night. I'm old and retired; nothing works like it once did, especially my plumbing. It may also have something to do with my always having a Bubba mug full of Peach-flavored iced tea, sorta like old Si on Duck Dynasty.
  • Si with tea bubba and tea.jpg
  • I've even started to resemble him, as well. I don't like having to go to the park (if at a park) restroom at night, especially in the rain, but I also don't want to just fill my emergency solid waste can with liquids. So, here's my set-up for the call of nature, from this point onward.
  • thru the floor nighttime liquid waste equipment.jpggas jug & racing jug 5 gallons.jpg
  • My idea is to drill a 3/4" hole thru the floor, sealed with a stopper, until at camp. Run the tubing thru the floor into a corresponding hole in the cap of either an old gas jug or one of my racing jugs, sitting on the ground, hidden behind a wheel of my trailer. Either 5 gallon jug will work, and both are vented, to keep the downtube flowing. Up top, the tubing is connected to a large flexible funnel, which can be rinsed out with water, and stored in a sealed container, out of sight. The stopper can be plugged back in the hole for sealing it up, until needed again.
  • Here's my solid waste set-up (in a 4x8 trailer, I find it a little too small to have it inside, no matter the weather!)
  • luggable loo.jpg
  • Components are just outside my door, just tucked in under my 8x8 canopy: A tent made specifically for this use, with a luggable loo (with kitty litter and stir stick), spare sealable 5 gallon container, extra litter, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer.
  • The last time I camped, it was during a three-day monsoon, and I had to pee into a Travel John
  • Travel John.jpg
  • which is great for occasional emergencies, but you still have to store them where they won't leak, and you might just exceed their capacity. Fortunately, I had no need to visit the tent at night, and waited for morning to go to the park's facilities.
  • Forgot to mention this: storing, and returning home with the restroom equipment. I have sections of my pickup bed divided with wood rails, to keep everything in place. I also strap down everything for highway travel, so I can easily and safely transport my sealed containers of liquid and solid waste, either to a dump station or home where I can dispose of sanitarily. I doubt I'll fill either type of container in 3 days (my usual trip) or even a week of use.
  • ADDENDUM:I was serious about my plans for an inside-to-outside urinal; it may not be classy, nor "glamping camping", but (what others can't see, they can't complain about) my hidden urinal is no worse than a potty tent, just something others talk about (the guys, around the after-hours campfire), and never do. I'm just talking about casual campers, in parks and civilization, not the off-road adventurers who do what they need to do. I 've got a 5-gallon fuel jug (the red one in the photo), that's a great disguise for a urinal receptacle, a 1 3/8" OD tube (2 ft. long), a spade bit of the same size to drill a hole in my 3/4" floor, and a stopper for the top of the tube floor. The 1 3/8" OD tube is an exact push-to-fit inside the jug's mouth, so no critters or excess venting will take place. The jug has a separate vent that can be adjusted to compensate for pressure. I'll hide it behind a wheel, and it'll look innocuous to all. I'm going to put a1/2 gallon of urine neutralizer/deodorant in it to ward off errant odors (I have eight dogs; I'm quite familiar with this chemical!). I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but now that my kidneys dictate my sleeping habits, I had the incentive to do it. By the way, do not try to mold a hot funnel to yourself...just approximate the shape.

Last edited:

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
IMG_3443.JPG
Just picked this up recently. Top of the line reviews and seems great so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JandDGreens

Adventurer
I have been using this style for three years now and it's been a perfect purchase. I like the larger storage base over the more compact size if nothing else because it's a nicer sitting height and the wife enjoys that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004...=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=portable+toilet
Thanks for your opinion on your porta-potty I have been trying to decide on what kind to get and after seeing your post I visited your link and after reading some of the reviews I determined this should work for my back-country camping needs. Bought it about ten minutes ago,(One review; I don't understand what people expect from a cassette type toilet that emptying it will be a pleasant experience???) They should camp outside of a holiday Inn when they go camping!

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
N.U.S. install started; looks like it'll work when finished

• I camp alone, and often need facilities two or three times a night. I'm old and retired; nothing works like it once did, especially my plumbing. It may also have something to do with my always having a Bubba mug full of Peach-flavored iced tea, sorta like old Si on Duck Dynasty.
  • View attachment 392604
  • I've even started to resemble him, as well. I don't like having to go to the park (if at a park) restroom at night, especially in the rain, but I also don't want to just fill my emergency solid waste can with liquids. So, here's my set-up for the call of nature, from this point onward.
  • View attachment 392601View attachment 392602
  • My idea is to drill a 3/4" hole thru the floor, sealed with a stopper, until at camp. Run the tubing thru the floor into a corresponding hole in the cap of either an old gas jug or one of my racing jugs, sitting on the ground, hidden behind a wheel of my trailer. Either 5 gallon jug will work, and both are vented, to keep the downtube flowing. Up top, the tubing is connected to a large flexible funnel, which can be rinsed out with water, and stored in a sealed container, out of sight. The stopper can be plugged back in the hole for sealing it up, until needed again.
  • Here's my solid waste set-up (in a 4x8 trailer, I find it a little too small to have it inside, no matter the weather!)
  • View attachment 392603
  • Components are just outside my door, just tucked in under my 8x8 canopy: A tent made specifically for this use, with a luggable loo (with kitty litter and stir stick), spare sealable 5 gallon container, extra litter, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer.
  • The last time I camped, it was during a three-day monsoon, and I had to pee into a Travel John
  • View attachment 392606
  • which is great for occasional emergencies, but you still have to store them where they won't leak, and you might just exceed their capacity. Fortunately, I had no need to visit the tent at night, and waited for morning to go to the park's facilities.
  • Forgot to mention this: storing, and returning home with the restroom equipment. I have sections of my pickup bed divided with wood rails, to keep everything in place. I also strap down everything for highway travel, so I can easily and safely transport my sealed containers of liquid and solid waste, either to a dump station or home where I can dispose of sanitarily. I doubt I'll fill either type of container in 3 days (my usual trip) or even a week of use.
  • ADDENDUM:I was serious about my plans for an inside-to-outside urinal; it may not be classy, nor "glamping camping", but (what others can't see, they can't complain about) my hidden urinal is no worse than a potty tent, just something others talk about (the guys, around the after-hours campfire), and never do. I'm just talking about casual campers, in parks and civilization, not the off-road adventurers who do what they need to do. I 've got a 5-gallon fuel jug (the red one in the photo), that's a great disguise for a urinal receptacle, a 1 3/8" OD tube (2 ft. long), a spade bit of the same size to drill a hole in my 3/4" floor, and a stopper for the top of the tube floor. The 1 3/8" OD tube is an exact push-to-fit inside the jug's mouth, so no critters or excess venting will take place. The jug has a separate vent that can be adjusted to compensate for pressure. I'll hide it behind a wheel, and it'll look innocuous to all. I'm going to put a 1/2 gallon of urine neutralizer/deodorant in it to ward off errant odors (I have eight dogs; I'm quite familiar with this chemical!). I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but now that my kidneys dictate my sleeping habits, I had the incentive to do it. By the way, do not try to mold a hot funnel to yourself...just approximate the shape.
  • Raison de etre, for the whole idea: I have a 4'x8' squareback trailer. At the time I started building it, my body worked better than it does now. I saw no need for indoor facilities, at that time. Man up! Time passed. Time waits for no man, nor does the need to relieve oneself!
  • I've bought or re-purposed the parts to my N.U.S. (night-time urinal system) prior to assembly. I already have the outdoor toilet components on hand, and have used them before, so now is the time for the indoor system. The key parts: the wall-mounted hideaway (a re-purposed tool tray, a piano hinge, and an old cupboard hinge used as a hasp), a two-foot braided drain hose 1 3/8" OD (fits exactly inside the old Scepter fuel jug-the type with the useless, broken CARB spout, I hate to use for gasoline), the fuel jug, an old clamp to hold the hose up (when traveling), a funnel w/attached spout (heat-molded to fit inside the hideaway), folding drink holder (already installed, to hold water bottles used to flush the funnel/hose after each use), and the rubber hose plug (to prevent vapors rising from the storage jug below). All I need to complete it is installing a vent in the jug, and find a better hose clamp than the muffler clamp I tested.
  • Hey, I said it wasn't for everybody, but the last major monsoon (I daren't open my door, lest I drown type storm) convinced me and my late 60's bladder, that I need a quick (and "dirty") solution. Friends (younger than me, by far) have told me they use soft drink bottles inside. Heck, I'd just p**s the bedding (my aim is bad, as I wobble on my bad knees). I have trouble rising out of bed, so, just kneeling is an accomplishment.
  • You older guys, that feel the urge two or three times a night, this is just an idea. I might not even have to use it, weather permitting, but at least I'll have an alternative to a drenching rain ruining my sleep-time.
  • N.U.S. INSTALLATION STARTED.jpg hideaway with cut-out for hose;temporarily plugged hole where hose passes thru floor; hose will be pulled up to top of hideaway, clamped in place for road travel

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
project finished; N.U.S. READY FOR "EMERGENCY" USE

• Done. Not used yet, or tested (except with bottled water; with a much stronger flow than it'll see again). No leaks, drips, or errors. That's what this systems all about. When finished using, cleaning, and stowing away, the used water bottle and wipe go into the normal trash on the wall at my feet. There should be no smell (plugged hose, vent pointed downwind -under the trailer, with deodorizer mixed in receptacle-), I can't think of a downside to this. I even marked my 5-gallon receptacle jug, so it's not mistaken for gasoline! I can water the weeds at home, when dumping the contents (or not, I can use the septic); I live in a rural environment, and I usually let nature recycle for me.
  • hose coming from floor thru hideaway hole.jpg hose coming up thru floor nests inside hideaway
  • funnel hanging on wall.jpg funnel hangs on hook on wall (after disinfectant-wiped),then door closes
  • hideaway shut with hose in place.jpg with hideaway door shut, no one is the wiser
  • water for flushing tube, wipes also.jpg water for flushing funnel and hose, wipes for completing the job

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94