Saved by House Battery

Shadow503

After 5 years, Michigan winter finally killed my starter battery yesterday morning. Luckily, when I installed my house battery I included a switch to bypass my VSR (and used 1AWG wiring throughout the system). I was able to self jump without leaving the vehicle, and was on the road again! :victory: I now have a brand new 700CCA starter that should keep me safe for a while.

Let this be a lesson to everyone doing a 12V build: overbuild the wiring so you can self jump! You'll thank me later!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I use our house bank for aiding cold starts pretty regularly during the winter months.

The big diesel LOVES the additional current :ylsmoke:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I use our house bank for aiding cold starts pretty regularly during the winter months.

The big diesel LOVES the additional current :ylsmoke:

Me too,
I like being able to press a button and jump start. The 7622 ACR is great.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Mine is nothing more than a toggle switch to a 200A continuous duty relay

Big diesel has 3/0 battery cables, and house bank is tied to the truck batteries thru the relay, and #2 wire.

Seems to work well.

Super fast charge when on the road, and useful for starting.

One super cool benefit I never planned on was the ability to charge the truck batteries with the camper mounted solar panels.

And it does work well. I let the solar keep track of things while parked at trail heads, when we are backpacking :ylsmoke:

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
On my Xterra it's just a 200amp solenoid that splits the battery. While the solenoid is activated on ignition-only 12v trigger, I do have a momentary switch to self-boost. So handy!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Mine is nothing more than a toggle switch to a 200A continuous duty relay

Big diesel has 3/0 battery cables, and house bank is tied to the truck batteries thru the relay, and #2 wire.

Seems to work well.

Super fast charge when on the road, and useful for starting.

One super cool benefit I never planned on was the ability to charge the truck batteries with the camper mounted solar panels.

And it does work well. I let the solar keep track of things while parked at trail heads, when we are backpacking :ylsmoke:

Yup I can also (planned) charge my starting batteries from my solar system, it's great knowing I can keep all four of my batteries in good health.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Yep, dual battery works both ways :)

powermodule178_zpso3dlqmp9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne