Well, I don't miss the wrangler......Ha ha

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
My wifes aunt has a 2015 JKU sahara 6sp, they needed a loan of your patriot because they needed to give someone who has limited mobility a ride. I used the wrangler for the afternoon....Between shifting and bobbing around like I was on a ship in the north atlantic, I was SOOOOMMMMEEE happy to get back into my pat! I keep thinking I wanted another wrangler...that all went away today! The patriot is a killer rig for us. With the lift, winch, lights and bigger tires....it's all perfect for us.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great that you had a chance to "scratch that itch". Jumping around with vehicles can get pretty expensive.
Your Patriot is a great vehicle, that really does seem to fit your family just right. :beer:

kojackJKU

ha ha...thanks Scott. It really does. its super fun. I know hey zeiderman! haha. I was eyeballing JK's again for the past month...not any longer.

rubicon91

Explorer
ha ha...thanks Scott. It really does. its super fun. I know hey zeiderman! haha. I was eyeballing JK's again for the past month...not any longer.

It is funny you say that because every time I hop into my wifes Land Rover Discovery Sport all I can think of is I cannot wait to hop back in my Jeep and drive it lol. I guess to each their own and glad you found a rig you love. I have only had a Jeep since 2006 and my wife well she has had an Aspen, Escalade, BMW M3, and the Land Rover and I have to tell you outside of driving that M3 none of the others I wanted to be in. That M3 though lordy convertible on top of it all I got into too much trouble in that thing around town lol

kojackJKU

Rubicon, I used to be like that. take out my parents merc, or audi. Etc. I wanted my JK back....I traded it because it was VERY long in the tooth, with over 200,000 on the clock, and there were things that I was going to have to do with it to get it to last another 200k. So, I traded it straight up for the Nissan micra. no cash exchange, just keys. Got a brand new car with only 5000 on it, full warranty etc. We started using our patriot as our expo rig. We enjoyed using so much we are in the process of making it our number 1. So, that leads me to today. Up until I drove the JK, I was looking at new ones, etc. then I drove the JKU this week. All feelings of wanting one....GONE! Just to all over the road, and bouncy. Crap handling etc. Everything I loved about my Jeep I now hate. ha ha....dunno. I guess its just me!

Alphonse

Observer
It sounds like you liked/want the capability of a wrangler but you don't want to drive the wrangler on the road. It's good that you found something that works for you and even better that it was a vehicle you already own... no payments! My buddy always says to me the best vehicle you can own is the one that's paid off, lol

kojackJKU

Yeah exactly. Here, we don't RAWK KRAWL, we don't run mud...we trail explore. My JK was never put in 4 low only to pull my suburban out of the snow bank while I was plowing. Actually most times, it was in 2wd. the height under it was nice because of rocks in our trails. So...with the knowledge I now have, adding the lift, taller tires I get the same clearance with the patriot as I would with a stock JK U sport. Measuring under the axles. SO, I can go ANYWHERE in my patriot, I could in my JK. I have the FDII skids ready to be powder coated and installed. as well as some RRO rocker guards. Also adding the Moog heavier springs in the rear for towing our small trailer, and tiregate with full size spare and gas tank. All in all the patriot is a very well rounded expo rig for exploring.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I totally get this. If it wasn't for all the big rocks and ledges on trails out here that lead to heaven, I'd probably still have the WJ. That is another awesome Jeep model. :)

That said, I've been amazed at how comfortable this JKU is for long trips. I've done 15 hour, 18 hour and multiple 6+ hour trips. Even with the convertible top, I've never got out of the Jeep feeling tired or sore.
I think suspension, tires, seating position, and how a person "fits" in the Wrangler go a long way to make a JKU comfortable for long trips.

kojackJKU

The fact that for the past 10 years or so with global warming, we have constant 60mph winds. there is not many days anymore that is not blowing like a ********. Last weekend we had sustained 140kph with gusts to 180kph. We get blown around the highways a lot. The patriot is more planted on the roads. But just the comfort of it is awesome. Like I said, I am adding some armor and lift, and good to go for what we need. plus I just found out the weight of my pop up camper, I can tow it, and our camping gear and still be just under max capacity. WOO HOO! Also just found out that sumo springs makes a unit for the pat too to combat rear end sag when towing...awesome!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
All that global warming created in Canada has made for excellent snow wheeling here in California this year. :)
But if we don't get some of that global warming stuff happening soon down here, we may end up with snow all the way through fall.
Some of our higher trails probably won't be accessible until late summer, and I think chain saws are going to be mandatory this year to clear trails.
It's been a great year for our watersheds. :victory:

kojackJKU

crazy how things have changed. I can remember in November 1992 on my birthday, the 27th. My friend and I were snowmobiling, and stepped off my sled and went to my armpits in snow. Now.....we don't get snow until mid December. it's screwed up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94