Wiper blades

p nut

butter
Hey, what do you guys use? Mine's stock Ford (currently has 15k miles), and since the third month of ownership, it's gone downhill. Streaks everywhere. And I live in the high desert, which makes it even worse, since I haven't really used it that much. Fed up enough now to try some new ones. Won't be going Ford OEM. Any good ones to recommend?

I've been using a set of Sil-Blades for ~3 years now. Being in the Seattle area, they do get a bit of use. One of the clips that holds them on got weak and I just threw a ty-rap around it to hold it on, no problems from there. Not the cheapest, but they seem to last, figure they may go another year.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Hey, what do you guys use? Mine's stock Ford (currently has 15k miles), and since the third month of ownership, it's gone downhill. Streaks everywhere. And I live in the high desert, which makes it even worse, since I haven't really used it that much. Fed up enough now to try some new ones. Won't be going Ford OEM. Any good ones to recommend?

A lot of the time is crap on the blade, clean with rubbing alcohol

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Indeed, clean your blades regularly. Look at it this way, whenever your truck is parked everything in the air settles on the wiper blade and gets smeared onto the glass when you engage the wipers, seems logical and simple enough anyway.

p nut

butter
Actually, I do clean the blades when gassing up. But I'll make it a more conscious effort to keep it clean.

I've been using a set of Sil-Blades for ~3 years now. Being in the Seattle area, they do get a bit of use. One of the clips that holds them on got weak and I just threw a ty-rap around it to hold it on, no problems from there. Not the cheapest, but they seem to last, figure they may go another year.

I heard good things about Silblades. I'll have to give them a try. Thanks.

Clutch

<---Pass
:p

arista-dual-wiper-blade.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
lolZ. Adding more blades ain't going to help.

I find too much blade makes wipers work less in bad weather because there's less spring force per inch of blade. I often go down a few inches to car sized wiper blades on my trucks. I don't need the whole window wiped. Works great especially in snowy weather.

I prefer the Bosche ICON straight blades. $20+ per blade and worth every penny. I also use RainEx in the spray bottle quite often.
a44c4fc6-8502-49c7-a1c2-e1effc2d4765

Utah200

Adventurer
Bosch ICON...treat with 303 when needed, but typically just replace them once they are at that point. I tend to replace mine every fall regardless because nothing sucks more than crappy blades in the winter.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
lolZ. Adding more blades ain't going to help.

Ha ha! Remember that gawd awful trend... :D

I have run some of the more expensive brands and different flavors over the years.

Have a cheap set of Duralast on there now, because the auto parts store was sold out of the spendy brand I wanted, so I grabbed those in a pinch...work as well as the more expensive...dare a say, seem to be lasting a little longer too.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
I just get cheap generic blades and change them whenever they wear out....1 or two times a year. Arizona sun is hard on wiper blades!

colierar

Observer
Costco always has those Goodyear ones for like $5.99 or $6.99. They work well. Skipping wiper blade are my arch nemesis... Drive me crazy. Seriously...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Costco always has those Goodyear ones for like $5.99 or $6.99. They work well. Skipping wiper blade are my arch nemesis... Drive me crazy. Seriously...

They had a bad batch about six months ago and wouldn't fit my 3rd gen Dodge or my friend's 2nd gen. We had to return them.
I'll give them a go again in the future.
I'm having real good luck with Rain-X Latitudes currently. They have a unique,super easy mount system.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
I've used Silblade for close to 15 years. Since they are silicone they do not age as harshly as rubber, and they work REALLY well when used with a window treatment (I use Nanofilm). The traditional articulated holder seems to have a more durable blade and I get close to eight years out of a set. Stay away from their one-piece molded version - I've returned two sets for credit after the blade ripped at each end in less than a year. I continue to use and have never had any problems with the traditional framed blades on my VW and RRC.

For the Japanese car in our fleet I used the Rain-X Lattitude this Winter and they have also been excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior