the very beginning of a Tacoma Build

Flhtruss

Observer
Don't hate forums bud the person or people you want to hear from just haven't read your thread yet. So go looking for them. Search Blackdog posts. I for one hear you would be fun light enough to hit trails and camp at night in the middle of where you want to go if I understand correctly. My wife and I have a f250 with an ATC camper, so would be hard to tell you try this or search over hear. I will say ask yourself what am I going to do when it rains, I'll stay the day, or wait till it lets up then move on. I've seen roof top tents and thought I bet that tent design sux in the rain. Fuel consumption would be how I'd do the food stocks. Fuel gone, dictate's getting food also. Me personally would have to plan for some motel nights in there just for a break and change of pace. Please tell me how you landed on the year Tacoma. Have you seen a flat bed Tacoma with RTT, just a different option might offer for a different camping platform instead of everything going in an out of essentially a long box. Following future posts.
Russ

crazysccrmd

Observer
A heavy duty topper, a RTT with the ladder enclosed in the annex, and a Foxwing awning with the sidewalls. That will give you a ton of covered space and keep weight down.

4y8utyby.jpg

98tcoma3rz

Observer
I think people are just trying to help you be comfortable living out of a truck for so long. Little things like being able to stand while changing your pants is nice lol. 50k just for the truck build? That will be a sweet rig. One thing to consider is the long bed Tacoma doesn't come with an e locker. That being said you could add an arb. The double cab long beds are also, well...long! I would check out the double cab short bed with the trd package if you can make that work. You could put roof racks on the entire roof.

Loaded down with 33's you're going to want to regear. That can get expensive. Or you can order the diffs and install them yourself from East coast gear supply or Just differentials and save some money. How hard to you plan on offroading?

CVT makes awesome roof top tents for the price. They come with an annex which is nice for hanging out in the rain, showering and for dogs to sleep. OZ tent makes sweet ground tents if you're looking for one of those. I would recommend a ground tent if you plan on camping at one spot for a couple days regularly. That way you don't have to take down camp to go explore/drive somewhere.

Suspension: Old man emu is awesome. All Pro expedition rear leaf springs, Icon, King, sway a way. All great brands. I personally like OME. Been around forever. Great system and wont break the bank. Wheelers off road has some good stuff and they're very helpful.

Another thing to think about: 1st gen tundras are very close to the same size as 2nd gen tacomas and they have a V8! They come in double cab long bed. Could probably get away without re gearing. They don't come with an e locker though.

As far as armor there are so many different options. personally, I like the classic ARB bumper. Tried and true. Demello makes awesome stuff, cbi offroad. Some companies make them in aluminum too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94