285/75R16 Tire Recommendations

Sundodger

I need new tires on my 1999 Ford Superduty Diesel and would love to hear some of your guys ideas and experiences.

Mostly a tow rig, but it sees some very questionable conditions while fishing, hunting, and camping.

I am looking for an aggressive all terrain or mild mud terrain with a min load rating of 3750 lbs per tire.

My first thought was to go with the Goodyear Duratracs. I have a set of my Bronco and while I do like them I am a bit disappointed in the snow and ice traction and I was hoping to find something that would do better there but not be a dedicated winter tire. Also looking at BF Goodrich AT KO2 and Falken wildpeak t3w, but would love to hear some options and other ideas.

kayadog

Adventurer
Check out the Hancook ATM. They are rated at 3750lbs. and are priced low. Very happy with them on road, in the winter, and moderate off road. I've only run them in much lighter vehicles though.

Last edited:

marathonracer

Adventurer
Quite surprised with your experience with duratracs in the snow. I've run a lot of different tires ATs and MTs on lots of different trucks (I work in the woods every day) and found them to be the best tire for multiple snow depths and conditions off road and on road. Nothing is awesome on ice except studs even a dedicated snow tire has its limits on ice. My winter tire on my work truck now is a studded duratrac. I found if it doesneeds get me where I need to go it's probably time to drop my snowmobile.

dumprat

Adventurer
I tried two sets of duratracs on two different vehicles. Both times they sucked.

I had 285/75r16 on an 04 superduty extrnd cab short box. One trip up north on duracraps on mine roads they were junk. Rock chunked and way to soft. trip way ten days.

BFG AT on the same truck lasted for three years and just plain wore out.

I cut two duratracs through the tread blocks to the rim on my jeep out bear hunting with the wife and kids. They are best left on pavement.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I have experience limited only to BFG ATs. I have been using only them since 2005 on three different personal vehicles (3 sets spread over a Jeep TJ, Jeep LJ, and 2 sets on wife's Sequoia). First set on the Sequoia lasted right at 80000 miles, second set is still being tested. We tow a 5000 pound travel trailer or a 4500 pound boat with the Sequoia. Only about 20000 as of this post, but showing about 25% tread wear.
Also used BFG ATs on at least 10 company vehicles. I was Director of Public Works for a community of 16,000 properties. The tires on the light trucks were not lasting when I hired on. The supervisor of vehicle maintenance (Bill) had been buying an assortment of tires usually based on price, and the tires did not last long due to cuts, tread chunking, and fast wear. I "forced" him to initialy try 2 sets on a F350 dump truck with snow plow and a GM 3500 service truck. Even though the initial cost was higher, The cost per mile went down substantially with longer life, fewer flats, and only a few sidewall cuts. So, the BFGs actually cost less over their life. Soon, the 10 light trucks all had BFGs on them because Bill became a believer. He even put a set on his personal truck.
At the time, many people seemed to be comparing their favorite and/or newly issued tire to the BFGs. Why not use the one others compare to?
I am not affiliated with BFG in any way, just a very satisfied customer and NOT employed in a sales organization.
If the BFGs are available in your size, I would buy those.

JCM

I have the BF Goodrich AT KO2 in this size and I am really happy with them. The difference between these and the Good Years I had on before is night and day when it comes to snow and ice. When these wear out I will buy them again!!

Sundodger

Thanks for the reply’s and thoughts guys.

In the bronco I have to use 4WD in ski resort parking lots so I don’t think my disappointment in their shallow snow/slush and compact snow/ice is unfounded.

I have driven all over this continent in the worse possible conditions and I will say our snow on the west coast of the US and BC is very different than the Rockies, northern territories, etc. Flying down ice roads at 75MPH in northern Canada doesn’t bother me at all, but a snow storm on the west side of the Olympic Mountains foot hills can turn interesting really fast.

My concern with the BFG AT’s is their sipeing design. It’s doesn’t seem to be the more modern design you see on purpose designed winter tires that give a larger biting surface and biting surface in multiple directions. Maybe they have a different approach to reach the same result though.

goatherder

no trepidation
I have the same truck

1999 F350 Crewcab diesel. Owned it for 12 years. By far the most durable, go anywhere tire I've had on that truck was a set of Toyo M/T's. Got 50k miles out of the last set, no problems whatsoever. And I abused them, on an 8000 lb vehicle. Bashing thru the rocks on dirt roads out in Eastern Washington. Bashed them off curbs. Digging around in the mud and clay in western WA. Snow, whatever. Never got stuck with these tires anywhere I went. As opposed to those POS BFG AT's...that had me spending an afternoon with a chainhoist trying to get unstuck from some slimy red clay. Or those Toyo AT's which get stuck in wet grass.

Only downside is the price. Local vendors really bend you over. Deals can be found online, like from Tirecrawler or TireHero on Ebay. About 30% price difference from local.

Gumbeaux

Absolutely love my Falken Wildpeaks. Quiet on the road, good traction on and off pavement, and the ride is very good.

tft trooper 2.jpg

talltroy

I ran the BFG ATKO's on my Tundra and logged around 30k with them and they were a dream. I'm looking for a new set for my F250 and the General Grabber AT2's caught my eye - I can get them in a 285/75R16 for ~$160 a tire, about $120 less than the BFG's per tire. What are y'alls thoughts on em?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Falken Wildpeaks here too on my '04 Suburban. We had a really mild winter so I only got to put them on the snow a couple of times but they seemed to do very well - at least as well as the BFG AT KO's I had on my '07 4runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier