285/75R16 Tire Recommendations

boss324

Observer
Really happy with the BFG KO2 so far in mud, snow and dirt performs really well and treadwear seems to be much better than the previous versions. Wet performance is even better I didnt care for the old versions the rubber compound is different.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I love threads like this.

"BFGs suck! They get stuck everywhere! Don't ever buy them, they will ruin your life!"

"I've only ever run BFGs, and they've always worked great. Definitely buy them!"

"DuraTracs are amazing! They will literally let you drive on water!"

"Don't EVER buy DuraTracs! They explode into a massive fireball every time they go anywhere near rocks!"

You guys are great. Carry on. :D

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
My Duratracs were excellent in the snow. Something makes me think it's the broncos fault, or an air pressure issue. The Duratracs are a little wiggly for the 1st 3000 miles. Then be sure to rotate them every 5000-10,000. Absolutely kick ******** tires. But a softer rubber compound to get that great snow and ice grip. If you tear them up on rocks or logging roads, get a harder compound tire like the Kelly Safari TSR. Or an overall stronger tire like the Cooper ST maxx.

My BFG's ATKO's were ironically very good in the snow. Drove good, no noise. Lasted forever. But if that great snow grip isn't enough, and you slide off into a wet ditch or yard, they were terrible to get out. Any kind of mud made them absolutely useless. Desert tire, not a good tire for any climate where the ground is soft and wet.

That's about my same opinion on purpose built snow tires. They're only good on snowy roads, and useless if you screw up and end up off of the road. They're a slick in mud. In Ohio, they're a waste of time. We can run mud terrain tires year round as long as they're the type with some siping and a softer than the olde school rock hard compounds. We might have to slow down a little.
Swamper IROCKS are fine. Cooper STT are fine. GY MTR's suck, but I didn't test them on a fair vehicle (Jeeps are too light and little for an honest test) . BFG MT's stunk, rubbers too hard, no siping. Maybe snow tires make more sense in Vermont or Colorado where there isn't anything off the road to get stuck in, just a cliff.

Being that I'm tired of torn tires or any kind of flats, I'm going after strong trail ready MT's with siping and/or snow friendly rubber compounds. Sometimes we have winter potholes a foot deep, I now run the Cooper SST mud terrain tires. Super strong, great for airing down. Heavy. Good in mud. Not IROCK or Pitbull rocker good of course, but they still get through mud just as well, just not as easy. So check out the Cooper ST maxx or STT pro's. So far so good. Have to rotate them just about every oil change though.

Last edited:

Slashbike

I love threads like this.

"BFGs suck! They get stuck everywhere! Don't ever buy them, they will ruin your life!"

"I've only ever run BFGs, and they've always worked great. Definitely buy them!"

"DuraTracs are amazing! They will literally let you drive on water!"

"Don't EVER buy DuraTracs! They explode into a massive fireball every time they go anywhere near rocks!"

You guys are great. Carry on. :D

Tire and oil threads. They go the same way every time ;)

I happen to like the Duratracs on my F250. Great all around traction, but they're too new for me to make a judgment on longevity.

dawg53

I am on my second set of Hankook Dynapro ATM on my Gmc 3500 SRW. I have been more than happy with them, I got 40,000 plus out of them and only had to replace them because they were getting old, I don't drive the truck often anymore. Still had plenty of mileage left. I tow a 14,000 lb fifth wheel both on and off road and have not had any issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz