RTT advice needed

Pilotamis

Observer
After much, like years, of dreaming, we've got our plan in motion for our next dream trip. We purchased a 2016 F-150 Screw cab with the 6.5" bed for the trip and now need to get our primary shelter purchased. What we need is something that sleeps 4, myself and my wife, plus our 2 children, ages 5 and 6 when the trip starts. We're also taking our 40# dog. My current thought is to get a RTT with an annex for the dog to stay in her cage, or the wife and I when we want some privacy or to use when its pouring and we just want to read. Our plan is simple. Drive to Mexico as quickly as possible then slow it way down to Panama, staying on or near the beach as much as we can. We'll go inland to see ruins and trek in the jungles, but we're really missing the warm waters & beaches of Saipan. What would you recommend that we consider? Unfortunately, a pop up truck camper doesn't fit in our limited budget.

Box Rocket

After much, like years, of dreaming, we've got our plan in motion for our next dream trip. We purchased a 2016 F-150 Screw cab with the 6.5" bed for the trip and now need to get our primary shelter purchased. What we need is something that sleeps 4, myself and my wife, plus our 2 children, ages 5 and 6 when the trip starts. We're also taking our 40# dog. My current thought is to get a RTT with an annex for the dog to stay in her cage, or the wife and I when we want some privacy or to use when its pouring and we just want to read. Our plan is simple. Drive to Mexico as quickly as possible then slow it way down to Panama, staying on or near the beach as much as we can. We'll go inland to see ruins and trek in the jungles, but we're really missing the warm waters & beaches of Saipan. What would you recommend that we consider? Unfortunately, a pop up truck camper doesn't fit in our limited budget.

I would suggest the Tepui Autana XL. Sleeps 4 in the main sleeping area, includes an annex that will easily sleep 2-3 more. Ruggedized versions are due to arrive next week. I can get you 10% off on them too. ;)
http://tepuitents.com/collections/4-person-roof-top-tents
grn1_13ccc536-4eee-42ad-bc24-feb29e1438a3_2048x2048.jpg

justrom

Adventurer
I don't know that I would favor a RTT for long term beach camping. Winds make RTT camping pretty painful - the tent fly flaps constantly and the RTT being so high up turns it into a sail that rocks the whole truck. We haven't used our annex much, but I imagine that it would get tossed around pretty good as well. With a ground tent you have a lot more options of places to hide - behind the dunes or other places for a wind break and you're down lower so it doesn't take as much terrain to block the wind.

On our Alaska trip we used some tarp clips (https://www.amazon.com/vivian-Outdoor-Camping-Secure-Awning/dp/B01H6DYBFI) and a lot of extra cord and tent stakes to tie the rain fly and tent down in creative ways to stop the canvas from flapping so badly that it kept anyone from getting sleep. It still didn't stop the gusts from slamming the tent/truck around pretty good though. Those were fairly unpleasant nights, but luckily there were only a few of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94