Stanley Basecamp Set vs GSI set

It's REI Dividend season again we have about $80 in "Free" REI cash.

We need a compact cook/Eat set to replace the space hogging conglomeration we currently use (think blue speckled enamel plates, goodwill pots and pans) With the wife and kids, we need it to serve 4. This would supplement the cast iron skillet that ya'll will have to pry from my lifeless hand!

We are considering the Stanley Adventure series Basecamp Cookset
(Can't link yet because newbie)

And the GSI Pinnacle Camper Cookset

I'm leaning toward the Stanley due to stainless seeming more durable than coated aluminum, but the GSI does have some features I prefer like the basin, slightly smaller (critical in my LJ)

What say you? Is there maybe another set I should consider?

tncamp

Perfect timing on this post. I was comparing these two sets this past weekend and will be interested to see what others say. I am leaning towards the GSI for the non-stick surface. I suspect this will make camp cleanup easier and require less water for washing. I also like the basin and it comes with two pots.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I've never been a fan of the "cups" and "bowls" found in the GSI kits. The Stanley kit looks pretty complete (and basic <- nothing you don't need).

I went through a similar exercise about two years ago and ended up building my own kit. We're also a family of 4 and I couldn't find the one kit that had ALL the items I wanted. Check out the MSR Alpine series. I find that line is a fantastic value for the quality of products. (https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=msr+alpine&origin=web&ir=q:msr+alpine&page=1)

I started with the MSR Alpine setup as my cookware (https://www.rei.com/product/401120/msr-alpine-4-pot-set). Plus the MSR pocket rocket stove fits inside the kettle which fits inside the pots. ($80)
Added a 12" lodge cast iron skillet and am using a 12" dutch over lid (works nicely for pancakes). ($40+/-) Use this at home daily.
I use Klean Kanteens 16oz tumbers (2) for the adults and the 8oz version for the kids (2). <- Holds both cold and HOT liquids without fail and has lids (important for kids...... and me.... ). ($75) These were a little pricey but they work very well and are bomb-proof. My wife and I use the tumblers everyday at home for coffee also. (Plus I can covertly enjoy a frosty beverage in PA state parks undetected.....)
Then I added four of the GSI plastic plates (https://www.rei.com/product/116121/gsi-outdoors-cascadian-plate-blue) ($12) ( I prefer to cut on plastic plates, er.... I prefer my KIDS cut on plastic plates.... )
I added four MSR Alpine bowls (https://www.rei.com/product/872395/msr-alpine-nesting-bowl) ($32). (These things are bomb-proof)
I went with the GSI spoons and forks ($6) (These are dirt cheap and feel good in the hand- I say leave the sporks for backpacking....)
Then tossed in an 8"x10" plastic cutting board and an MSR Alpine Knife (https://www.rei.com/product/849661/msr-alpine-kitchen-knife) ($10) This knife is awesome!

A bit more than $80 but it's a very functional kit. Every piece works and packs up fairly tight. I would say I have about $140 into the pieces of kit that I ONLY use while camping. The other bits I use everyday.

Oh, and everything (besides the cast iron) is dishwasher safe.... Easy final clean up after a trip and then it's ready to be re-packed.

Last edited:
Perfect timing on this post. I was comparing these two sets this past weekend and will be interested to see what others say. I am leaning towards the GSI for the non-stick surface. I suspect this will make camp cleanup easier and require less water for washing. I also like the basin and it comes with two pots.

Never really liked non-stick surfaces. Always so fragile. Plus, plastic turners always get that lousy edge roll that makes flipping eggs a nightmare!

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
ceramic is the only non-stick surface i'll eat off of, unfortunately it is fairly fragile. I recommend stainless, it will basically last forever, you can abuse it and you can even cook over an open fire if you want. stainless camp stuff isn't as bad to clean as you think, the stainless pot I have now I barely use any water and then scrub with an SOS pad if anything is stuck on it.

I also used my REI dividend and 20% off coupon to buy a cookset, I went to the store yesterday to put my hands on the different options and compare them and went with the Primus Campfire Cookset - Large

I looked at the Stanley Basecamp but the pot was just a little too large for me. When camping and making something quick like heating soup I want a pot about 1.5qt and for cooking a larger meal for 2-4 people or its something I need to stir a lot I want a pot 3-4 qt. The Stanley kit covers the 3-4qt pot and has a fry pan, but IMO you need to also add a smaller pot. I have a small backpacking stanley stainless steel pot and am very satisfied with the quality.

For 4 people the Stanley Basecamp is a great setup if you don't need a second pot. I don't trust teflon, but if you aren't worried about that and don't want the option of cooking over fire, the addition of the second pot makes the GSI Outdoors Pinnacle set a better option for a family of 4

That Primus set looks real pretty. Maybe combine that one with some small plates/bowls and a bag to pack it in...

I didn't see the primus at my local last time, but being ATL, there are 2 other REI's to check.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
That Primus set looks real pretty. Maybe combine that one with some small plates/bowls and a bag to pack it in...

I didn't see the primus at my local last time, but being ATL, there are 2 other REI's to check.
My store only had the small Primus set, but the quality looked good so I ordered the large set online. I'm just going to throw a couple plastic Walmart bowls inside, I don't need fancy bowls.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online