Platform bed in suburban w/seats

CarolynJune

I've seen plenty of platform beds built in suburbans and other SUVs, but they all remove the seats. Is it possible to build one and still keep the seats in, just fold them down? I'd love to have the option of sleeping in the truck, but I need the seats.

rayra

Expedition Leader
There's several workable ideas in the Storage section. Depends on whether you insist on leaving the 3rd row mounted in the vehicle.
There are a couple well thought out builds in the big stuck topic at the top there which show platforms that extend or unfold into different configurations. Several of those ideas can be adapted / made to work
Additionally, most of the Suburban interiors can be made workable as-is. The 3rd row back folds down flat over the seat and is very close in height to the stowed 2nd row seat bottoms. A platform could be made which bridges across these elements and has supports over the voids. Such a platform could be hinged down the middle fore to aft, so the platform flips onto itself such that one of the 2nd row seats could be used and folded down and arranged for sleeping.

I'm working on storage drawer / platform idea that has some flexibility in it. The end goal being to have an extension piece that attaches to the front of the drawers / platform and extends over the 2nd row seats in their folded / stowed configuration, providing a sleeping platform space that 7-1/2' long. -

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/161631-Storage-Drawers-Platform-for-my-GMT800-Suburban-WIP

storagebuild057_zpsote92zxv.jpg
storagebuild068_zpsym3xexpu.jpg

I'm refining the platform extension idea now, hoping to hustle on it as I want to make a photographic trek up the 395 before the record snowpack in the Sierras melts off.

Yroundrdn

Observer
I am building one now that allows the seats to remain. You will have 60" to the rear seat which is not enough for me. At the seat end of my drawer/box I will have an 18" platform on a hinge that folds out with 2 legs. That will extend the bed to 78" and still leave about 24" behind the two front seats after the rear seats are folded down. The only reason to remove them will be for the added space as needed.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I haven't built it yet but I am planning to build a sleeping platform the is level with the top of the rear compartment wheel well/storage area. I am 6' so it will be a little short for me but I always sleep on my side anyway with my legs bent so I don't see it being a big deal. If solo I can sleep diagonally. The space under should still be able to contain most of our gear if organized efficiently.

CarolynJune

Awesome! Thanks so much for all the info!! I'll look into it all. Sleeping in the truck will be a last option as there are three of us, but I still need it to be an option. I'm 5'10 and my 13 year old is already pushing 6'. My 9 year old is 4'7-8 and growing fast, too. We're going to need all the length we can get!

superbuickguy

Explorer
I'm doing a different build but perhaps what I'm doing will work for you as well. I took the rear seats out, and I am building a fold-down couch that runs from front-to-back on the passenger side. Many motorhomes use something similar and many even have seat belts. When you need a bed you simply fold the couch down. In my case, the couch goes further forward, but there's little reason why the idea couldn't be adapted to do what you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier