How deep can 4x4 vans get you? Beginner questions...

D

Deleted member 9101

Old off-road proverb: four wheel drive just gets you more stuck.

This has been my mantra for the last 11 years. I still hunt, fish, and camp, but since going back to a 2wd truck I have yet to get stuck. I might have to walk a little further to get to my destination, but I am not breaking parts, spending hours digging myself out, or needlessly wearing out expensive/noisy/heavy tires.

davidgreams

Bring it on! 4x4 vans are ************. I'd kill for a 3/4 diesel van from the last 10yrs, like something from Ujoint Offroad. You said it's an older conversion, so maybe find out some info on who did it/how it was done? Quigley is still in business, I think most other 4x4 van conversion companies from the way back machine are out of business or were one off's done by the owner.

Try to find one of the options here.

Newer (like the last 10 yrs) Fords and GM vans I think can be done with pretty much off the shelf components or a donor truck and some fab work, anything from a professional company like Quigley will have a lot more documentation and community support backing up the build as they were products sold in some volume. Whereas stuff from the 70s/80s depending on who did the work, are likely a tad bit more custom and organic...

billiebob

The vehicle is not the issue off roading. A lot of "trails" have several choices to go either thru/over obstacles, or around them. The issue is the drivers ability more than the vehicles capability.

On 4WD and low range and lockers. None of those things get you more stuck but they do give you more control. Most any 2WD pickup can follow where I drive my Rubicon but he will often need speed/momentum to not get stuck or spin out and he will often end up chewing up the trail, throwing gravel everywhere and maybe breaking his truck.

4WD, LowRange, Lockers are all about tread lightly and don't break anything and don't get stuck.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
There have been a few times that I wish my van was a 4x4. BUT considering the extra costs I will just drive smarter. That may mean stopping before getting in too deep, going with another vehicle or staying home when the weather really sucks but so be it.

mparker

Great topic, albeit kind of old...

I am very interested in the 4x4 sprinters... Unfortunately it isn't in the budget right now, time or money. Someday..someday... I envision traveling around the USA seeing many of the seldom seen corners of the national parks, camping on remote beaches; Portsmouth Island, taking/camping on the many remote "roads" and passes in Colorado and Utah.

After reading some of the comments and based on my novice experience of off roading in a 4runner and many years riding dirt bikes. I have no doubt you can scare the pants off yourself before the vehicle gives up, no mater if your in a subaru or a unimog! I have been in some situations that make me uncomfortable in my stock Pro 4Runner. I can only imagine what these guys with stock Rubicons on 37" could get into!!!

Anyhow, some commenters mentioned towing a off roading rig. That would definitely allow for a more comfortable and roomier RV... My main concern is comfort while in transit and ease of driving.. My main concern with a standard class C RV is even on a slightly imperfect unpaved road it wouldn't be very fun. Not to mention lack of beach driving...

OBS460

I didn't read all of the answers but a thought comes to mind. How deep can 4x4 vans get you?

All the way to the bottom.

Its kind of like the Ron White joke abour air travel.

Nervous Passenger - "If the engines go out, how far do you think we will make it?"

Ron white - "All the way to the crash site. I bet we beat the paramedics by fifteen minutes "

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Go Deep Go Home!

Attachments

• Bruce McClain Quigley 1.JPG
    Bruce McClain Quigley 1.JPG
    619.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Bruce McClain Quigley 2.JPG
    Bruce McClain Quigley 2.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Bruce McClain Quigley 4.JPG
    Bruce McClain Quigley 4.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 131

Lovetheworld

With a short wheel base and tyres like that, why wouldn't it get to the same places as a truck?
I have a Toyota van (not the one in the US), and it is a slow one, doesn't have these huge tires, but anyway it has proper 4x4 with low-gearing. It gets us pretty much everywhere. Only when you want to drive straight up a high sand dune you may notice the difference, but I have driven over lots of soft sand and smaller sanddunes as well. Just know the limits of the car.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The third pic of the van climbing: the old "rotate the camera" to make the angle look steeper. We used to do that with our skiing pictures too; except we were aiming to make the descent look steeper.

That's the way Quigley Motor Company sent the pictures to me!

mparker

I feel like I am in the same pickle as the OP! I easily get drawn in by the Storyteller Beast Mode and more frequently seen (over priced) Revel. I have always loved the work and business model of Sportsmobile. That is probably the way Ill go when its time.

I plan to go with the Food Transit, leaning towards a gasser, and Quigley conversion; Better to have and not need than need and not have. I like the fact that they use off the shelf ford parts. I have heard the with the Sprinter not every MB dealership will work on them. I think with the transit you can roll into any Ford dealership and get work done.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Apparently not every Mercedes dealer sells and/or services the Sprinter. This is the situation here in Nashville.

We have 2 Mercedes dealers in the Metro Nashville area. Only one Mercedes dealer sells and services Sprinter's. The other dealer does not sell or services Sprinters.

I believe this is still the case or at least it was last year when I was considering purchasing a new Sprinter van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles