REI 20% works on RTT

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
I just came here to post this lol. discount code is MEMLOVE20 (for members only). I cancelled my first order that was luckily backordered, and reordered right after.
Got a Tepui Kukenam sky for $1,194.11 shipped to the store. Just shy of $300 saved

Richiee46

I just ordered a Tepui Sky 3 as well :smiley_drive:

Have been waiting all month for the coupon. Can't wait!

Any reasons why you guys decided with Tepui? I am new to RTT and was leaning towards Yakima Skyrise 3 purely on their mounting system (and since I already have yakima locks). I guess my only complaint is the sky window is a lot smaller.

michael_l

Observer
Several -

This is my first RTT and I haven't even laid down in a Tepui yet. I did check out the Yakima at the store.

First off, this is Yakima's first product. Not to say they don't build quality racks, but I was dubious they have tested their new tents as much as Tepui has been tested and tweaked, including in wind, storms, rain chambers, etc.

Secondly, the price is the same. So that didn't seem to make a difference, so I was leaning toward the more robust version. I did like the light weight of the Yakima tent, but at the same price if I can get twice the durability it seemed like a good decision.

Thirdly, I called Tepui and they answered all my questions, a real person picked up the phone without an operator or push button menu, and apparently Tepui is one of the few employing an actual QC person at the factory in China where GoFSR, Tepui, CVT, Gordigear, etc all manufacture the same tents.

Lastly, when I was laying down in the Yakima tent in the store, I could see dozens of pinholes in the stitching of the tent where the material had been pulled too tightly or thread too thin, but there were a lot of places for water intrusion in the tent body itself. The Tepui's are all taped / seam sealed and from what I can tell, on the tent body as well as the rain fly. I think the Yakima will be a great tent, especially for only occasional use which is the category I fall into, but at the same price point I just decided to go with the known quantity and the company with a few years experience and quality control building them.

I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of the half a dozen or so that are listed above and manufactured in the same place. I might have been swayed if Yakima had done anything to differentiate their design, but to me it just appeared to be the standard construction / design / format all be it with lighter weight materials.

Hope that helps some! In either case, I can't wait to get mine and get it out to the woods!

Pilotamis

Observer
Wanted an Autana XL but they only have the Siberian Camo for sale. I wonder if it's possible to go in store and order it.

sned

Well that sucks, was hoping to order the 3 person autana sky but it's no longer listed on REI's website.

I stopped by the store to see if I can special order it and unable to do so. Just hope they have it back before the 20% ends.

Pilotamis

Observer
Well that sucks, was hoping to order the 3 person autana sky but it's no longer listed on REI's website.

I stopped by the store to see if I can special order it and unable to do so. Just hope they have it back before the 20% ends.

I did the same thing, and they said they no longer carry it.

I did the same thing, and they said they no longer carry it.

I was in the STL store last week. The manager there told me they would be able to order any of the RTT's using the coupon. This included tents not listed on the website. I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger. Might be worth asking again and remind them you are long term member. :)

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
anyone get info on shipping yet? the tepui Kukenman Grey was backordered and I haven't gotten any info on estimated ship time yet

sned

I was in the STL store last week. The manager there told me they would be able to order any of the RTT's using the coupon. This included tents not listed on the website. I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger. Might be worth asking again and remind them you are long term member. :)

I stopped by 3 different REI's and was told they couldn't order it. I do find it interesting the Autana Sky 3 is back on their website the day after their sale ends.

@sned--Thats a bummer. When I finally got on the website to determine exactly what I wanted to order the 4 person tents were no longer available through REI. So I opted for a twin sized Ex Ped and some other family camp gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online