Air Lift My AWD Van???

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
No, I don't mean "Air Mobile" just Air Lift rear shocks for my AWD Astro, does anyone have experience with this system or suggestions ???

My Adv Trailer isn't that big, will be carrying about 1800 pounds (2 bikes and stuff).

Not sure if this system holds up for off road, going sloooow! No rock climbing or extreme stuff, just getting to remote camp sites.

These are rated for 5000# and most of the time will be on the road, unloaded and wanting a decent ride.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...cts_id=27296&gclid=CNv1yoK679ICFdC4wAodRfUGDQ

Life time warranty seems pretty good!

What do you guys think ? :smiley_drive:

Choff

Adventurer
I have had air bags on our AWD Savanna Van with good luck, have 75,000 miles and still working, like the firmer ride and when loaded put a shot of air in and rides like a caddy!!!
Choff

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I have had air bags on our AWD Savanna Van with good luck, have 75,000 miles and still working, like the firmer ride and when loaded put a shot of air in and rides like a caddy!!!
Choff

Thanks Choff, sounds like you got your money's worth.

My thought is that I may be able to adjust the ride, low air for city driving or unloaded highway and more air for carrying, hauling or the rough stuff.

I'd like to know what kind of "lift" I'd get out of them on the rear as well.

Any ideas, ? I'm thinking 2 to 3 inches, just big enough for some 29's, 235/75/15's on the Astro. :coffeedrink:

Choff

Adventurer
That is the nice thing about air bags is the adjustment you will have, I can put 10 lbs or 90 lbs in my bags , lift is about 2 -3 inches in back, depends on the load, the more air the stiffer the ride!!! , I have leafs and air bags in rear.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Keep in mind the Astro / Safari doesn't have a truck style frame so the Silverado air lift kit you linked to probably wouldn't be just a bolt-on affair.

The Firestone airbag helpers for Astro have a bracket that bolts to the boxed framerail section of the unibody rear.

wirenut

Adventurer
Air bags, maybe. Air shocks, probably not. The shocks and shock mounts aren't really designed for supporting weight. Air shocks make the shock mounts due that.
I've had air bags on 3 different trucks and they work well for carrying heavy loads but I don't think they would work too well as a lift kit. Any lift you got would come at the price of an extremely stiff suspension.

KLF

No, I don't mean "Air Mobile" just Air Lift rear shocks for my AWD Astro, does anyone have experience with this system or suggestions ???

My Adv Trailer isn't that big, will be carrying about 1800 pounds (2 bikes and stuff).

Not sure if this system holds up for off road, going sloooow! No rock climbing or extreme stuff, just getting to remote camp sites.

These are rated for 5000# and most of the time will be on the road, unloaded and wanting a decent ride.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...cts_id=27296&gclid=CNv1yoK679ICFdC4wAodRfUGDQ

Life time warranty seems pretty good!

What do you guys think ? :smiley_drive:

I can't directly comment on the suitability of that system, but you might want to note that any air system can be used off road to add "articulation" to help keep all wheels on the ground on irregular terrain at slow speeds. All that is necessary is to have an air line that is open between the air chambers on opposite sides. It essentially works exactly the opposite of a sway bar. The overall load capacity is essentially unaffected but shifts a bit more side to side.

I inadvertently discovered this many years ago when I was using air shocks that had exactly that feature (for unknown reasons they generally still do) and could not understand why I seemed to have lost stability instead of gaining it while towing a trailer cross country with the air shocks pumped up.

I still use such a system but have a valve installed in the common line to ensure that the shocks can be isolated when on the road. If the valve is left open, the instability is noticeable on the first curve.

Because airbags have a much greater overall capacity, you would have to tinker with the maximum air pressure at which you could do this without uncomfortable instability, even off road. The line between chambers can be, and probably should be, very small, like 1/8."
And if typical speeds are 15 mph and above, it would probably be of no practical benefit for the purposes I have described here.

I'll also note that I have had good success with air shocks but they are typically limited to adding 1100 lbs or so (levelling capacity) to a vehicle. On the original vehicle where I had them, I did break a shock mount. But once welded, it never broke again. My current vehicle ('96 Suburban K1500 4x4) has hauled loads on the highway and off road in Canyonlands with no issues whatsoever and it is usually stuffed to the roof.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Stroverlander, probably, I'd need to cut off the rear shock mounts on the axle, (hmmm?) and it gets a bumper plate. BTW, I read your build and it's awesome, I only wanted to go up a couple inches, but I'm rethinking that following your lead.

Wirenut, thanks, I hear you and not sure I need my teeth rattled when I'm running light, I wouldn't be able to air down due to the tires.

KLF, thanks for the detailed response, then it sounds like bags isn't the way to go for a cheap lift, my trailer will carry my heavy stuff so carrying capacity isn't really the goal.

So, in order to fit 235's on the Astro, what's the best way to go, will 2 inches do it and what shocks would be best for highway and mild off road work with a trailer in tow?

Thanks!

KLF

KLF, thanks for the detailed response, then it sounds like bags isn't the way to go for a cheap lift, my trailer will carry my heavy stuff so carrying capacity isn't really the goal.

Let me add a detail that I omitted - that air shocks can probably add 2-3 inches of temporary "lift." Although that may be over-generalized and may vary with different vehicles, and especially how soft the suspension is to start with.

altaboy

Observer
BTW: Astro/Safari rear half of frams (from engine hump rearward) is in fact a truck frame (not sure which capacity).

If you look underneath, you will see the front section of the frame is bolted to the truck ladder rear frame portion.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Thanks guys, I found the lift solution on the Astro site, it was mentioned by Stroverlander to go with a 2 inch lift with blocks up front and add a leaf springs with a sway bar in back ffor the 29 inch tires. T-Low (member here) didn't use the shackles either and had the same conclusion basically.

So, air bags are out, but rear air shocks might be considered with feedback, simply due to towing.

I'm ordering parts this week as soon as I know what to get. When I figure out how to get pics loaded here I'll start a build thread for "Spider" or "Spyder", my biggest plan I guess is redesigning the dash for a 7 inch Alpine media system and additional screens for 4 cameras, besides the usual off road camper stuff. And, I'll be building as light as I can.

Any suggestions as to shocks for this arrangement are still requested, I'm all ears! :ylsmoke:

1stDeuce

Explorer
I still kinda want an AWD Safari van... :)

Good luck with your shock quest. I've had a horrible time finding shocks for my slightly lifted TJ that don't cause it to ride rough. Found several sets that would work great for JeepSpeed racing though... I'm currently running Bilstein 5100's, and they're OK if it's really loaded, or if I'm really hauling, but on cobble, or any abrupt (or not) bump when empty, they're very stiff and hence harsh.

I even bought some Skyjacker hydro's because I found a few people complaining they were too soft. I WANTED too soft. Well, evidently Skyjacker "fixed" the valving, or the idiots that complained have 1500lbs of crap bolted onto their Jeeps. Actually, the Bilstein's ride about the same as OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks. (I wish OME still made the "comfort" valved shocks...) The skyjackers were perhaps just slightly less harsh than the OME shocks.

If you can use Bilstein 4300's (I think that's the right number... their OE replacement shocks) you'll probably like them. I just don't think there are many "lift" shocks left that don't make you're vehicle ride like a dump truck.

I should temper that... Part of my problem is that my jeep doesn't have 1000lbs of "protective or performance enhancing" crap bolted on, while most do. I'm sure they valve for the special idiots driving 5000lb "jeeps" and running no sway bars, yet complaining that the shocks are too soft... Might not be the case for a non-Jeep...

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well 1st Duce, Bilstien is in the running. Reason I sold my Jeep TJ was that it jarred my teeth lose.

I noticed too that Monroe has an air shock and very reasonably priced, in fact, cheap for air shocks. Also noticed a rebate from Monroe when buying Monroe or Rancho shocks.....so, Ranco and Monroe must be in bed together! The specs on the Rancho 7000 series and the Monroe HD are very close too.

I'm considering the "add a leaf" from Helwig if the air shocks from Monroe are too soft with simple Monroe HD up front.

I won't be carrying much weight inside the van really, but the trailer will be and it only has springs so it may be bouncing!

Since this will also be a DD, I'm not getting to wild with add-ons. :)

Mr. Nacho

Choff
Would you happen to have a part # of the Airbags that went on your GMC Savana van???? Thanks Nigel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles