Semi permanent flexible solar panel roof install

jeegro

Adventurer
I just sold my roof rack so I now have the option of putting the panel directly on the roof. It has 4 mounting holes at each corner.

I may get another rack in the future, so whats the best way to do this so its removable?

3M double sided foam tape? (that's arguably permanent though..)
Duct tape for the sides to prevent airflow getting under
Closed-ended rivet nuts w/ sealant? While drilling holes is as permanent as you can get, at least removing the panel would be super easy and wouldn't leave a hole left over https://www.mcmaster.com/#rivets/=16w8iwx
Something else?

geophile

Great question. I've been thinking of ways to mount a panel to the roof of a camper securely enough for highway and off-road travel, while making it easy to remove the panel for ground setup at camp. For flexible panels, here's what I've come up with so far. A door gasket at the forward edge(e.g. https://www.tmhardware.com/Door-Gas...5-Sponge-EPDM-Bulb-Seal.html#&ui-state=dialog) to keep wind from getting under it, and tension latches on the grommets (e.g http://www.protex.com/61-655M1SS-ad...ety-catch-medium-duty-stainless-steel-natural). I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with!

jeegro

Adventurer
I think I'm just going to use 3M VHB foam tape, with strips running parallel with the frame. If its good enough to secure wheel arch trim (auto manufacturers use it), it should be good for a solar panel.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I think I'm just going to use 3M VHB foam tape, with strips running parallel with the frame. If its good enough to secure wheel arch trim (auto manufacturers use it), it should be good for a solar panel.

I agree and with some moderate heat it removes slowly without residue, its not something I'd like to do a lot but it will come off if handled correctly. Fwiw, I use the VHB on all kinds of applications on my Land Cruiser inside and out.

That said, I'd suggest a nice 2" industrial velcro and slap it down. Frame the edges, put an "X" across the back too, it will hold like crazy.

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I use 3M VHB double sided tape to secure my flexi panel to my aluminum top but not the foam style. Good enough to hold solid even in the 115° temps. I did replace my panel once and removing the old panel and VHB tape let me know it will not come off without a ton of effort.

Attachments

• IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 40

Rando

Explorer
Given the really high failure rate for these panels, I would definitely put some emphasis on semi permanent part. Velcro, or aluminium bar stock with counter sunk screws installed from he underside then VHB'd to the roof maybe good options.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Given the really high failure rate for these panels, I would definitely put some emphasis on semi permanent part. Velcro, or aluminium bar stock with counter sunk screws installed from he underside then VHB'd to the roof maybe good options.

^ This!

These are my flexible/bendable 120w panels I purchased new: <4 months old to burn out & through (open air to back side when it happened ...)

IMG_2754 5.jpg
IMG_5237 5.jpg

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader

My first 100w flex was going good at 3+ years until I ripped the junction box off.

I called the 3M engineer that recommended the VHB for my application about getting the old VHB off. After a brief moment of silence he said I dont know what to tell you. After 4-5 hours using every chemical I could find when I came to getting the last of the VHB off GoofOff worked the best. With that said I put the replacement on with the same VHB tape.

Rando

Explorer
My first semi flexible panel was used in an identical situation as yours (pop top landcruiser, VHB tape and all) and made it about a year before on of the strings of cells died. It was a thankless job getting the VHB tape off (scraper and heat gun) and I went with a rigid panel from then on.

Mgyver1

Observer

spressomon

Expedition Leader
What brand is that panel? I'm looking to do a flexible panel on my truck cab and want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

Synergy brand panels from solarblvd.com

But per AM Solar warranties (where I purchased my rigid solar panels) for flexible/bendable panels are not worth the paper their printed on. Solarblvd has repeatedly told me they would do a no charge replace. Of course this has been going on since the beginning of the year so no more breath to hold.

Scoutman

Explorer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles