Electrical / Starting Issue

windtraveler

Observer
I recently purchased my first Land Cruiser. One owner, babied, pavement princess, stock, 1999 w/ less than 100K miles. WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG? I absolutely love it! I have just started experiencing an infrequent & intermittent problem when I turn the ignition to start the car, nothing happens (totally dead, not even "clicking"). If I do this 3-5 times with a short pause in between, it starts. I thought it may just be loose cable / starter connections so I removed, cleaned, and re installed the terminal ends and that worked for a while (about a month or so) but now the problem is back. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Mike

Hi,

I would suggest starting with the basics. What do the maintenance records say about this truck? When was the battery last replaced? How long ago was a tune-up?

Often it is something simple, just a worn-out ignition part the is failing. Realize also that battery cables can seem fine, but can fail.

If you are really flummoxed by this issue take the truck to an auto electric shop for a through evaluation.

Good luck,

Alan

windtraveler

Observer
Hi,

I would suggest starting with the basics. What do the maintenance records say about this truck? When was the battery last replaced? How long ago was a tune-up?

Often it is something simple, just a worn-out ignition part the is failing. Realize also that battery cables can seem fine, but can fail.

If you are really flummoxed by this issue take the truck to an auto electric shop for a through evaluation.

Good luck,

Alan

Thanks Alan. The battery is new and a recent tune-up (2000mi ago). I agree (and hope) it is something simple. I have heard that this is a fairly common problem to Toyotas. Although this is my 1st LC, it is my 4th Toyota truck/SUV and I've not experienced this in the past. Appreciate the tips. Guess I'll change out the cables next (even though they look brand new), that should be a "relatively" easy process. I'm pretty sure it is not the starter because there are no issues once power gets to it.

Lmg

Did that, cleaned them til they were shiny. Ensured good connections. Thought that cured it but then it happened again, about a month later.
Sounds like the starter solenoid, but it usually does not fail so soon. Starter is in the crotch of the V, as in V8.

RobRed

Explorer
Starter contacts - you'll know when it finally wont start. 100k is a little soon but age plays into it as well.

There is a relay in the under hood use box for the starter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne